Skyviper

Stupid CPU Question

I know this is common knowledge for most of you and may even classify as a stupid question.

But because I'm unfamiliar with these things I'm asking here.

I have a loud CPU fan. Turns out that's just how the stock fans are. So I ordered another CPU fan, thinking that this thing would be just as small as the stock one turns out it's 120mm. Copper heat pipes, LED lights, ultra quiet.

My thing is can this thing fit? is there a bracket or something to hold the thing in place so it won't crash into the video card? Just eyeballing it looks like a tight fit [insert that's what she said pun here].

Heads up my replies my be ultra late responses. No I'm touching my CPU fan ... I got lucky the last time but will not be taking chances this time.

Yeah double checking on it fitting in the case. This thing is a no go. I can put the side panel on with about inch clearance (again this me doing what I can without actually dealing with my CPU fan). But from looking at things again in a new light and dangle it looks like the ram chips will be getting in the way. If not then it's going to be a really tight fit.

This is why I'm glad there is a return policy.

Here's the fan I have now (loud little sucker)

https://amzn.com/B0044FHFJQ

This is a much better and quieter fan for your machine and should fit with no problems. Copper cores will help disperse heat better if you're using conventional cooling. The fan should be a four pin so it should vary its speed depending on the temperature of the CPU. Some fans are just noisy no matter what you do it has to do with fan speed and air flow so be prepared even with all your fidgeting you still may not have the quiet solution you're looking for.

As Fubar stated make sure the thermal paste is doing it's job or heat won't transfer to the cooler possibly causing the 100% fan setting to be on continuous. I like MX4: https://amzn.com/B0045JCFLY

You'll need to remove the pad on the new copper heat sink that comes with the new fan. There's a kit for thermal paste removal here: https://amzn.com/B0007TOR08

Also clean the old thermal paste off the CPU before installing the new heat sink and fan. In a pinch I've used nail polish remover and cotton sticks.

Of course there are better coolers available than the one I showed above but I was trying to be budget friendly for your needs. Also if a fan is noisy because it's gotten dust in the bearing or it's frozen you can try using a drop of three in one oil, peel pad on top to reveal bearing. Use caution here because you want the pad to stick back when you're done that's what keeps dust out of the bearing so get your drop exactly on the bearing. I actually use a high performance engine additive called BestLine and a hypodermic needle. All tricks of the trade use at your own risk.

Good luck.

:good:

Yes it's a pretty and would fit with lighting scheme I already have. But am I correct in assuming that it can't be mounted sideways?

Not sure what you mean mounted sideways. CPU coolers are designed to only mount one way, heat sink pad directly to CPU.

Took it to an expert this afternoon... so all is well and much much quieter too. And awesome looking with all those blue lights.

As long as it makes your funny bone tingle that's all that matters.  :rockon:

Thank you.

Changing subjects.

Why in the world do they call it a funny bone? It's never funny when you hit that thing.

Actually that's what the internet is for ... sometimes.

There are two camps in the debate over how the ulnar nerve got be known as the funny bone. One side says that it's an anatomical pun, because the nerve runs along the humerus, which sounds like "humorous." (Get it?) The other side claims that the nerve got its nickname because of the funny (as in odd) feeling you experience after you hit it.