Just a general observation...

How is it that SF2, modded and beautiful, runs silky smooth on my non-gaming laptop when older sims (Microsoft FSX, Falcon 4, even Jane's IAF with Tackleberry's patch while in cockpit) stutter and generally run poorly? IL-2 1946 runs great too, but it just seems that older sims don't necessarily age well on modern systems in my experience.

Does this have more to do with new software/hardware working well together or does TK just know how to write a great program?

And shout out to the modders here, you guys are amazing, I love the new content and graphic updates that make the sim gorgeous and fun to play. This is a great community.

Ryan

I don't know what kind of CPU you have, but generally older games tend to be badly optimized and are a heavier burden for the CPU than the GPU while also not being able to utilize multi core processors, so CPUs with less cores but a higher clock rate per core will do much better than large amount of cores with a slower clock rate which is fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your point of view) the way to go these days with cheap yet very powerful 8+ core processors. Aditionally, I don't think this is a problem for Jane's IAF, I mean I can't think of any CPU too weak to run this smoothly, it probably isn't too fond of newer hardware (or software).

Is this a joke ? Ah no, you're new, sorry, let's just say for us who have been around long enough and have a tendency to push SF2, we don't really agree with your assessment of how well SF2 aged and how optimised it is...

Edited by Gunrunner
  • Like 1

CptHrki, The GPU/CPU makes sense, I only mention Jane's IAF because I thought it was a little odd. My current laptop has Windows 10 and an nvidia card to supplement an intel integrated GPU (told you it was bad) and IAF will run great in external views. Jump into the cockpit and it's maybe 1 frame every few seconds. On an older MacBook Pro running Windows 7 in Boot Camp, IAF runs great. So everything you mention makes a lot of sense. As more time passes maybe this problem will get worse.

Gunrunner, no not joking, yes I am new. SF2 isn't DCS World for sure, but for an aging program on lousy hardware it's working well for me. The modded Iceland terrain with the Sarcasm sky and new aircraft: Awesome. Modded Israel terrain (with Sarcasm again) and new units and aircraft? Reminds me of the 90's when sims were having their day. Wings Over Korea? Lacks the campaign that MiG Alley had but it's gorgeous and suspends disbelief pretty well.

Maybe I haven't loaded it up enough but for now I'm getting plenty of enjoyment for my few bucks. TK gave us a pretty good foundation and the rest of you in the modding community (unlike no-nothing lurkers like myself) who actually know what you are doing have polished it pretty bright.

• Like 1

TK gave us a pretty good foundation and the rest of you in the modding community  who actually know what you are doing have polished it pretty bright.

now, THAT'S one of the best compliments I've seen in a very long time...

• Like 3