Sign in to follow this  

I want to put a decal on a ground object.  I have this hangar in the \Objects\GroundObjects directory, and I've placed it in the terrain with the "UseGroundObject=TRUE".  I have a skin folder for it, and it's showing in the terrain.

I should be able to place a decal on it just like ships and any other GroundObjects, right?

How do I get the mesh name and orientation.  This is where I want to put it.  Is "Box245" the mesh name?  Thanks.

hangar.thumb.jpg.ddb0019895e79863d1f26fa19bf2259c.jpg

Box245 is your meshname (the red marked area).

Model-orientation can be seen in the lower right corner.

red line = X-axis --> positive values are right side, negative values are left side

green line = Y-axis --> positive values are front, negative values are aft

blue line = Z-axis --> positive values are top, negative values are bottom

So in your picture you currently see the aft-side of the building (if you hit the ZX-button from the toolbar). Move the mouse to the area, where the decal should be placed and hit CTRL+C to copy the coordinates from the bottom line.

In your ini just paste them and delete the axis you don't need (in this case, you don't need the Y-axis).

Orientations are FRONT/BACK, TOP/BOTTOM for the roof and LEFT/RIGHT for the sides of your building.

P.S. I don't now if this works for groundobjects....I just know, that it works for planes.

Edited by Nyghtfall

only works for ships (hull number, name). doesn't work on anything else.

If you want a certain text to show up, best way would be to clone the item, doing whatever hex editing and renaming is necessary, and add the text directly on the skin map. Also, "UseGroundObject=TRUE" will work, but they (buildings) seem to work better when directly rooted in the terrain's main folder.

Putting on the texture won't work unless it's remapped. That same spot on the texture is used multiple spots on the hangar.

Maybe I'll hit Jim and ask.