Sign in to follow this  
Gorrisonp

Need help setting up SF2

I recently found out the Strike Fighters series and decided to give them ago, so far I'm impressed by the game, just what I was looking for.

But I've got a problem, I can't fire my primary guns (Cannons/Machine-guns) or the GBU Paveways (though I think that's because I don't know how to work them). I've got a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro hooked and everything on it works fine, so it's not an issue with the buttons.

I read somewhere that if I deleted the controls.ini (or setup) folder and started the game again, things would work, but they didn't.

Anything you people recommend? I really want to use my guns after I've ran out of missiles.

Thanks! :)

Hi start the sim set up controls close sim then go to controls ini and change file to read only .To stop it over writing ..

• Like 1

There are two keys you need to learn and/or map to your stick.

1) the key that cycles air-to-air weapons.

2) the key that cycles air-to-ground weapons.

By default, your DirectX Button 1, usually the trigger on most flight sticks, will always fire the guns. If this isn't working, you have somehow changed your stick mapping.

Your DirectX Button 2, usually a button on top of the stick, is the default button for firing other weapons like missiles or dropping bombs. You have to use the appropriate weapons select button to cycle until you get to the weapon you want to use. In the case of LGBs, you need to cycle the air-to-ground select button until you have selected LGB.

I don't normally use LGBs as I am more of an air-to-air guy and typically used dumb bombs and rockets when I pound the ground, but if I remember correctly, you need to select a ground target using one of the target select keys. Once a valid LGB target has been selected by one of the various target select buttons, if you have a way to lase the target, you should be able to drop the LGB using the DirectX Button 2 or whatever have mapped for releasing secondary weapons. I don't recall the ways to lase the target in the SF series. Does it require your aircraft to have a built-in designator or pod? Or can ground units provide designation? I don't recall. A veteran ground pounder will have to step in and clarify game mechanics for that aspect of using LGBs.

Edited by streakeagle

2 hours ago, hi ho silver said:

Hi start the sim set up controls close sim then go to controls ini and change file to read only .To stop it over writing ..

Hello, well this isn't the problem sadly. I have set up the next AA weapons and AG weapons and they work fine (staying on the selected button), just like everything else. It's just the cannons that won't fire for some reason. I even downloaded some add-on aircraft and the guns on those don't work either.

Thanks

The setting should be "Fire Primary Gun" or something to that effect.  I think by default it is Enter; you need to map it to your stick if you want the trigger to fire the gun.  Of note, some aircraft don't have guns (e.g., F-4J, unless the pod is attached) so you won't be able to fire one!

Hello everyone, I was able to fix the issue:

Turns out that the selected controls I was setting in the game configuration options was being written down in Controls/Default.ini one line below from where it should actually be writing. So my primary fire was on blank, my secondary had the button I selected for the primary and so on. Took me a while to set up everything there but now works like a charm.

Thanks for helping guys!

Thumbs Up Plane.png

• Like 2

Hello.

Go to CONTROLS.INI.

Delete line "Thrust Vector".

Por alguna extraña razón, a partir de esa línea, todos los comandos se desplazan una línea hacia abajo. Si la eliminas, en el panel de configuración del sim vuelven a estar bien.

Parece que los controles que se asignan desde esa línea hacia arriba (piloto automático, nivelación de alas, etc.) no se veían afectados.