Sign in to follow this  
Sky High

Historical GunSights for European Air War 1.60_BETA

Historical GunSights for European Air War 1.60_BETA

View File

I am not really a fan of the gunsights that come with this great EAW installation. Perhaps there are others who feel the same. I have compiled this little mod from various sources, in order to provide an alternative.

Latest version of my attempt at a Historical Gunsight Mod for European Air War 1.60.

It's still, at best, a beta. However, hopefully some might find it helpful.

Firstly, negate the gsight.spt file in the main directory of 1.60 by renaming and placing a '-' in front of it. Then install your Historical Gunsights Mod.

To use, I strongly advise installing via the JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler (JSGME, and available for free on the internet). Just drop the 'Historical Gunsights' folder that accompanies the Readme into your JSGME Mods Folder, which you should install into your EAW 1.60 Directory and enable it.

If you wish to remove it, this is easily done by unenabling the mod in JSGME and deleting the '-' from the front of your gsight.spt file.

Many thanks to PapaRomeo, Peregrine, Spit9, Viper, RedEyes, Lurker_HLB and all others concerned with working on gunsights over the years.

And thanks to all the modders who've contributed to this mighty game over the last two decades.

SkyHigh.

I suppose I am being dense, but could you provide a link to the Beta file that you are offering?  Much obliged!

It's in the Download section here, under European Air War. If you're logged in and click on the 'View File' link above, it will take you directly to the afore-mentioned section.

Edited by Sky High

Did Jel incorporate this mod into the standalone UAW160?

I can't locate where I thought I read that....

Edited by MarkEAW
spelling

5 hours ago, MarkEAW said:

Did Jel incorporate this mod into the standalone UAW160?

I can't locate where I though I read that....

No, at least as far as I am aware. One needs to add this to the 1.60 install, according to the instructions, in order to get the gunsights. Ray's new planeset independently incorporates his own historical gunsight set.

Standing by; I have a considerable mount of updating to do.

For a sim that is supposedly on its' last legs, there are an uncommon amount of upgrades available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIBob said:

Standing by; I have a considerable mount of updating to do.

For a sim that is supposedly on its' last legs, there are an uncommon amount of upgrades available.

Ray has assembled a massive new plane-set, highlighted by an improved series of cockpit gauges, many of them in working order,  and many other additions and improvements. Modred and VBH have new mods up tonight, also.

43 minutes ago, Sky High said:

Ray has assembled a massive new plane-set, highlighted by an improved series of cockpit gauges, many of them in working order,  and many other additions and improvements. Modred and VBH have new mods up tonight, also.

I'll D/L VB's content with no hesitation.  Modred is an unknown quantity to me (no offense), so I will read up on reactions to his offering.  Have heard nothing but positive things, so far.

Otten's latest offering seems to incorporate an embarrassing number of glitches, and so I will wait before downloading it.

Ray's is a very comprehensive and ambitious project, which he has had to undertake single-handedly and it is inevitable that there are some errors. 'Embarrassing' is not an appropriate word for such a large, freely-offered addon with which the best opportunity for perfecting  is via the feedback of our little community. It will be welcomed by Ray if you review it yourself and report back any glitch you find. This is how we can all bring this old system to the best achievable outcome.

On 3/18/2019 at 5:40 AM, Sky High said:

Ray's is a very comprehensive and ambitious project, which he has had to undertake single-handedly and it is inevitable that there are some errors. 'Embarrassing' is not an appropriate word for such a large, freely-offered addon with which the best opportunity for perfecting  is via the feedback of our little community. It will be welcomed by Ray if you review it yourself and report back any glitch you find. This is how we can all bring this old system to the best achievable outcome.

SH, you are a far more advanced person than am I.  I respect that.  I also Respect Otten's offering, but regret that was initially offered with many admitted flaws, and so required many modifications.  When I hear him say that his project is GTG, and fully de-bugged, then I will try it out.  In the meantime, I have too much on my personal, mere user,  plate, to begin to attempt things that others, such as yourself, are better equipped to do. 

Full disclosure:  Mr. Otten's provoking me got me temp banned from SHQ, due to what I believe (others in private messages, concurring) was the Moderator  making an unfair judgment against me, and not taking Otten to task whatsoever.

I read there, in SHQ, but do not post, because the same Mod is there, and I have zero faith in his fairness.  I post some comments there in IM with various members, and with reading, stay in contact.  I do not flatter myself that I am but a simple user, with occasional suggestions on how to improve the game.  Most of my suggestions will be considered, and found to be impracticable; Or maybe not, at further consideration, perhaps by other developers.

As a EAW player, I wish Otten all success.  Despite past differences, I wish it for the benefit of the game, and the Community   But as a simple user, I can't afford the time and disk space to download what was admittedly a problematic --and so far not fully GTG download.

I say all this with all respect to you, SH, and only explain things as far as I have done so you can have a better understanding of things, as they stand.

I remain, with respect, a simple User,

RIBob

• Like 1

In his addon, Ray is compiling the work of many different modders over a long stretch of time. Some of the skins have little anomalies and glitches which have been inherited. It is the nature of the modelling and skinning systems in EAW, which remain a mystery to me, but repairing all these historical problems is a task so large it would be unfair to expect any one man to undertake. Therefore, Ray has to discriminate between the more obvious errors and those that one just has to accept. He, rightly in my opinion, considers the perfect as the enemy of the good in this matter and concentrates on errors which might be so glaring as to be obvious in the heat of 'combat'. We must remember EAW is not a screenshot sim. It's a game that demands to be played.

On 4/10/2019 at 1:31 PM, Sky High said:

In his addon, Ray is compiling the work of many different modders over a long stretch of time. Some of the skins have little anomalies and glitches which have been inherited. It is the nature of the modelling and skinning systems in EAW, which remain a mystery to me, but repairing all these historical problems is a task so large it would be unfair to expect any one man to undertake. Therefore, Ray has to discriminate between the more obvious errors and those that one just has to accept. He, rightly in my opinion, considers the perfect as the enemy of the good in this matter and concentrates on errors which might be so glaring as to be obvious in the heat of 'combat'. We must remember EAW is not a screenshot sim. It's a game that demands to be played.

I think your comments are well-said, and I concur.  I have many irons in the fire, so to speak, and prefer to wait until downloads have been reasonably cleaned-up of the most glaring errors (many from previous sources, as you say) before sampling them.  I have seldom been willing to be a Beta-testor, as my knowledge only goes so far, and others are better-equipped to do such a task.   

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..