Sign in to follow this  
UllyB

Ship movement direction matter

I took a cargoship type I liked from a terrain I downloaded and tried to integrate into another terrain. The ship has just the LOD , the bitmaps and the ini file, no data.ini file. I tried to replace its lack of data.ini with the stock cargoship data.ini. I know that structure is different a bit., I looked to each ship nodes in the ship's LOD. The only problem is that the ship goes...backwards. LOL Which parameters are responsable for the direction of the movement of a ship ? Could be the 3D LOD settings itself ? I ask that because I notice that all 3D ships models, when you open them in LOD viewer, they have the bow to the right. In fact all   3D ship models I saw are like this. The one in cause it has it the bow to the left.

I need guiding. Thank you.

u.jpg

Edited by UllyB
  • Like 1

sounds odd.

model cant be changed without the max file, what i wonder is if putting a negative speed in the movementSystem part of the data ini would work (its a shot in the dark, not an informed statement)

also, did you get it from a GroundObjects folder that was part of a terrain, or direct from a Terrain?

if direct from a terrain, it was likely a static object placed to be bombed and not intended to move. that could also be why it faces left (to differentiate from the regular ships rather than the target)

15 minutes ago, daddyairplanes said:

if direct from a terrain, it was likely a static object placed to be bombed and not intended to move. that could also be why it faces left (to differentiate from the regular ships rather than the target)

Yes I took it directly from a terrain (that is why, I guess, it has  not its own data.ini file). So I guess there is nothing to be done...Thanks

PS - I tried to change those numbers you mentioned it, no change, it goes backwards. LOL

Edited by UllyB

simple answer:

that ship was designed, and built, to be a TERRAIN OBJECT ONLY!!

It don't work as a 'real boat'. And never will

15 hours ago, Wrench said:

simple answer:

that ship was designed, and built, to be a TERRAIN OBJECT ONLY!!

It don't work as a 'real boat'. And never will

I suspected that from the moment I realized it has no data.ini file. But with a data.ini file (even one borrowed from a generic cargoship) or if the model would 've had bow to the right, it would float as a cargoship , with the necessary adjusted settings. I liked the model, that is why I wanted it.

Edited by UllyB

it's really just a ported static from FE, for one of their "oceanic" mods, as FE doesn't support naval units of any kind. I think  the meshes just extruded that way BECAUSE it had no functionality as a 'naval unit'. But it IS nice docked in-port. 

• Like 1