macelena

Aussie MirageIIIOs

I was trying to find out if RAAF Mirages were given some sort of RWR at any point in their service life, can anybody tell me anything on the issue or point me to some sources about it?

Edited by macelena

Some were, others were fitted for but not installed as a cost-saving measure. Pretty sure they were installed on the IIIOFs, but not the IIIOA/Ds. I'm certain this didn't change when the fleet was standardised to the multirole IIIO standard in the 70s. The RAAF had to deal with a lot of cost cutting measures throughout the 70s and 80s, and a lot of planned equipment and upgrades like RWRs, ECM etc was never installed, or only installed as needed-- the F-111Cs never had RWRs, for example. It wasn't until we started deploying aircraft overseas to peacekeeping/joint task forces in the late 90s that things like RWRs began being fitted across the fleets. I think the F/A-18 was the first platform that had them equipped as standard. If you want a definite answer, there's a group on FB called Friends of the RAAF Mirage IIIO & IIID that's comprised of former pilots and ground crews who could tell you what's what. They're a pretty good bunch. :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SayWhatt said:

Some were, others were fitted for but not installed as a cost-saving measure. Pretty sure they were installed on the IIIOFs, but not the IIIOA/Ds. I'm certain this didn't change when the fleet was standardised to the multirole IIIO standard in the 70s. The RAAF had to deal with a lot of cost cutting measures throughout the 70s and 80s, and a lot of planned equipment and upgrades like RWRs, ECM etc was never installed, or only installed as needed-- the F-111Cs never had RWRs, for example. It wasn't until we started deploying aircraft overseas to peacekeeping/joint task forces in the late 90s that things like RWRs began being fitted across the fleets. I think the F/A-18 was the first platform that had them equipped as standard. If you want a definite answer, there's a group on FB called Friends of the RAAF Mirage IIIO & IIID that's comprised of former pilots and ground crews who could tell you what's what. They're a pretty good bunch. :)

Thanks a lot, that group looks great.

• Like 1