Sign in to follow this  
Guest IndioBlack

Killing SAMS

Guest IndioBlack

Thanks to Fubar512, I've got the EA-6A flying with an audible RWR. I was testing it out over Vietnam yesterday, and accidentally discovered that I could fire Shrikes towards radar-emitters and get successful kills without having to target the radar emitter first.

At the time, the target I had locked-up was the Primary: a ZSU. However, in all the excitement of seeing a SAM nearby, I turned towards it and launched the shrike. Then I realised I hadn't put the target box around it and fully expected the missile to just hit the dirt. However, to my surprise it went straight in and hit the radar dish. I got this to work every time.

So the message is: when deploying shrikes, point and shoot towards the target, do not waste-time trying to lock them up on the radar.

My apologies to everyone who knew this already, and if you did know, why didn't you tell me ;-)

My apologies to everyone who knew this already, and if you did know, why didn't you tell me ;-)

Did you ask? :haha:

Guest IndioBlack
Did you ask? :haha:

I knew I'd missed something :cool:

Guest Saganuay82

Nope Shrikes always home for the radar. Worst thing about them is that if there are 2 ZSU 23-4 and a Fansong, which will the Shrike hit? Its kind of a gamble if you lob one into a threat area.

Only good thing about the red box is you can line your Shrike up more. Only one I have no luck with is the Standard ARM, it never hits anything.

I found out how to use the ARMs the hard way too. Check this thread out:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=9430

FYI - The red target box or even your radar has nothing to do with ARM lock-on as they are only seeking enemy radar emissions to home in on. You generally have to be pointed in the direction of the threat before letting one fly but I have had missiles track even when fired about 70 degrees off target. A Shrike is shorter range (20 miles?) and will lose a lock in flight if the enemy radar shuts off. A Standard is longer range (55 miles?) and will remember where an enemy radar is and kill it even if it shuts off. The Standards are also a little iffy in the lock-on department. I would say there is a 50/50 chance it would lock even when fired under perfect conditions. Good hunting.

Found a problem with the STARM's (AGM-78) entry in the weapondata.ini, which I immediately corrected, using the Weapon Editor. The "Target Memory" box was not checked, but it is now :grin:

Now I have an excuse to go simming, and check it's effectiveness :)

UPDATE: Four launches, four confirmed kills. One kill on a unit in track mode, another one while the target was in acquisition mode, one kill on a unit that switched from acquisition to search while the STARM was is in flight, and one long range kill of a Bar Lock at an airbase, which was (of course) in search mode.

Guest IndioBlack
Found a problem with the STARM's (AGM-78) entry in the weapondata.ini, which I immediately corrected, using the Weapon Editor. The "Target Memory" box was not checked, but it is now :grin:

Now I have an excuse to go simming, and check it's effectiveness :)

UPDATE: Four launches, four confirmed kills. One kill on a unit in track mode, another one while the target was in acquisition mode, one kill on a unit that switched from acquisition to search while the STARM was is in flight, and one long range kill of a Bar Lock at an airbase, which was (of course) in search mode.

Genius!

I'll go fix mine now.

Will that be corrected in the next weapons pack, or will we have to go back and refix it after we've downloaded?

Sweet! I was wondering what was the cause of all that.

Sweet! I was wondering what was the cause of all that.

From what I understand ARM's should produces some sort of a tone indicating what type of radar they locked on.