I like how AIM-7s, realistically, fall first a little and then the rocket/missile motor starts. How can I do that in order to make AMRAAMs and other BVR to act the same ? Is the wing node type for AHM the culprit here ? I saw that nodename for most BVR missiles is named  "RAIL something". I guess that is the way the LOD is made for the hardpoint in the plane's 3D model. How do I do it ? Thank you.

PS - delaying the rocket booster won't work for BVR, I already tried that.

I found out how. It was simplier than I thought. One must unchecked in weapons editor "use missile rail" option.

• Like 1

Well, I'd be careful with that if I were you. Take the AIM-120 AMRAAM as an example.

When fitted to the wing pylons on a F-15C, it uses a missile rail and the rocket engine is the one that propels the missile immediately at launch.

When fitted to one of the stations on the CFTs, the missile is actually ejected, so it would separate enough from the aircraft before the engine starts and avoid damage to the aircraft.

That is especially important when an aft hardpoint is used.

If you want to have more realistic missiles such as the AMRAAM in SF2, I believe you need to have 2 versions of the same missile - one rail launched and a second with the "use missile rail" option unchecked.

Then you would need to use also a specific station code entry to prevent the wrong version being loaded, such as a rail launched version loaded on a hardpoint on the CFTs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'll take your advice into consideration, thanks.

The AIM-120's presently available in the weapon packs are all without a booster delay.
To have things working right, they should have a delay time set (#1), and the aircraft data needs
an extra line added to the AIM-120-carrying stations:
ForceRailLaunch=TRUE

#1) about 0.5 to 1 sec, depends on ejection velocity
EjectVelocity=0.0,0.0,-6.0
Values are in meters/sec, and for Left/Right, Fore/Aft, Up/Down with Left/Aft/Down being negative (-) values

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Crusader, that's new to me and I find it quite interesting. Can you go a bit more into detail to explain how that works in game?

May be give an example with an aircraft that already has this setup in place?

Does the ForceRailLaunch=TRUE entry make the game apply a rail launch effect to a missile which is normally ejected or not carried on a missile rail?

Or does the entry make the game ignore the fact that the missile is usually rail launched and ejects it from the hardpoint, despite the fact that the weapon data says "rail launched"?

Thank you in advance!

The "RailLaunched" checked in the weapon editor calls up the launch rail node (missile rail) in the aircraft data.
ForceRailLaunch=TRUE disables the boost delay = missile does not freefall before motor start.

• Thanks 1

Well in this case, in my opinion, it won't look relaistic at all. I prefer my simple method which it really looks realistic when you watch the sequence from outside the plane. However it's good to know of that "elusive" command and parameter. Thanks.