Hey there,

I've come back to a topic from the past lately.

Is it possible to replicate the Gunsight-functionality with a HUD in SF2? If you have a Gunsight, than you have a simple reticle for guns, that is depressed down a bit for unguided rockets - not lead computing, CCIP, whatever.

I would need that Gunsight-functionality together with an additonal marking for a laserdesignated Target.

At the moment I have the Reticle + Targetmarking showing, but the Reticle doesn't move if I select unguided Rockets.

In the past my workaround was a new Reticle that has 2 aimpoints - guns and rockets, so no movement was needed.

My Settings from Cockpit.ini

[CockpitData]
Directory=cockpit
HUDMode=AG
RippleQuantity=1,2,3,6,12,18,24
RippleInterval=60,100,140

[GunsightFront]
HasGunsight=TRUE
GunsightMilSize=100
GunsightName=Gunsight.tga
MaxDepression=250
DefaultDepression=50
GunDepression=50
RocketDepression=50
LeadComputing=FALSE

HUD-Part from Avionics.ini:

[HUD]
HUDMaterial=HUDMaterial
HUDColor=1.0,0.47,0.0,0.7
BoresightOffset=0.0,0.0
ViewportTopLeft=-0.095,-0.080
ViewportBottomRight=0.100,0.160
RocketBoresightAngle=50.0

[HUDMaterial]
EffectShaderName=fltHUD.fx
DepthBufferCheck=FALSE
DepthBufferWrite=FALSE
RenderedInOrder=FALSE
AlphaTestEnabled=TRUE
CullMode=NO_CULL
LightEnabled=FALSE
UseLightLevel=FALSE
SpecularEnabled=FALSE
EmissiveEnabled=FALSE
FogEnabled=FALSE
AmbientColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000
DiffuseColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000
ZBufferOffset=0
PriorityLevel=1
BlendOp=BLEND_SRC_ALPHA
NumTextureStages=1
TextureStage[01].TextureName=
TextureStage[01].MipMap=FALSE
TextureStage[01].FilterEnabled=TRUE
TextureStage[01].StageColorOp=TEXTURE_MODULATE_DIFFUSE
TextureStage[01].StageAlphaOp=TEXTURE_MODULATE_DIFFUSE

[HUDFont]
TextFontName=Arial
TextSize=9
TextBold=TRUE

[HUDModeAG]
Symbol[01]=HUD_Gunsight
Symbol[02]=HUD_LaserTarget

[HUD_Gunsight]
SymbolType=IMAGE
ImageFilename=cockpit\Gunsight.tga
ImageSize=0.075

[HUD_LaserTarget]
SymbolType=TD_LASER
ImageFilename=cockpit\laser_target.tga
ImageSize=0.025

Edited by Nyghtfall
  • Like 1

You could use a keyboard letter assigned to the separate 'guns or rockets selected function' eg the + key. The location is defined by co-ordinates like the location of the airspeed number etc. I did something similar for the GR.3 revisionary sight for the Falklands campaign. The sight was basically a big lowercase 't' with the horizontal line changing position depending on guns, bombs or rockets being selected. For this I had a vertical line that came up in air to ground mode and the horizontal lines are made up of multiple underscore lines together: ____ called up by the bomb/guns/rockets selected text with the position moved by the diffrent coordinates for each type of weapon.

Harrier3.7z

img00004.JPG.5ca8b2a49eb36d8a269d1252b0e39f0f.jpeg.thumb.jpg.b6277340c2f4124119dfb7ceeead77f9.jpg

img00005.JPG.fe4ebfd8c5cde528b9e999fe4d695f20.jpeg.thumb.jpg.eaa1f17e09207cabe10793a4cf8ce645.jpg

Edited by dtmdragon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting, I didn't know that was possible. I guess, I can build something with that. :drinks:

After re-reading the tiny bit of information available about the realworld counterpart, I realized, that I don't have to rely on the original gunsight-reticle, since the gunsight was exchanged for something from Ferranti (no designation or type, probably even experimental). Pics are also not available, so I will just do something that works. Thanks for your help!

10 hours ago, Nyghtfall said:

Interesting, I didn't know that was possible. I guess, I can build something with that. :drinks:

After re-reading the tiny bit of information available about the realworld counterpart, I realized, that I don't have to rely on the original gunsight-reticle, since the gunsight was exchanged for something from Ferranti (no designation or type, probably even experimental). Pics are also not available, so I will just do something that works. Thanks for your help!

What aircraft/ gunsight are you doing? Not the experimental Australian Navy A-4G air-to-air sight (by Ferranti) by any chance?

12 minutes ago, dtmdragon said:

What aircraft/ gunsight are you doing? Not the experimental Australian Navy A-4G air-to-air sight (by Ferranti) by any chance?

No, one of my first mods was the A-4F from VA-164 with the laser spot tracker in the nose (targetdesignation was from backseaters of TA-4F). I never liked my workaround with a double-reticle for guns+rockets.

Seems like the Gunsight, that could show the designated target was from Ferranti too. Unfortunately I didn't find any pictures, type or name of it and I think, that there aren't any, given how little detail you find about the topic.

Didn't know about the Australian sight. What's up with that? While searching for the experimental one above, I found 2 brochures about the Gunsights, that were used in 2 the batches of Singaporean Skyhawks from the 70s (A-4S and A-4S-1) - also from Ferranti. Maybe there's some sort of connection? Ferranti obviously was quite active... ;)

4 hours ago, Nyghtfall said:

Didn't know about the Australian sight. What's up with that? While searching for the experimental one above, I found 2 brochures about the Gunsights, that were used in 2 the batches of Singaporean Skyhawks from the 70s (A-4S and A-4S-1) - also from Ferranti. Maybe there's some sort of connection? Ferranti obviously was quite active... ;)

Trial was in 1971 with the Thomson (Ferranti) C.S.F. R22 Gyro Gunsight. Picture, PDF and info here:

https://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=53537&start=45

My own SF2 version here:

A-4G_71_Trial.7z

img00002.thumb.JPG.8015e1a934ac70c63d36a66bd73210f8.JPG

img00003.thumb.JPG.5a2e67c0d02d031caa9cdd47f751e9c0.JPG

img00004.thumb.JPG.6343ff576d161125d406558fe56b2ece.JPG

img00005.thumb.JPG.9f3b92dc6bdaec0fbf7568de5722b3d9.JPG

Edited by dtmdragon
  • Like 1

That's great guys, love your works!

This can be adapted to other planes ; I remember reading somewhere that the F-4G had a similar system indicating the selected target for the HARMs, but don't rmember the source...