Sign in to follow this  
VonBeerhofen

Ponder over this

Now what in heaven's name drives a person to upload someone else's creation after hacking his signature into it's EAW.EXE and removing all install help and identification files, and what can possibly be gained by such action? Now don't tell me that it is to improve the 3D plane shadows or to remove the rotating 3D waves simply because you or others don't like them, or to fix a Spitfire hangar animation. Such an 'upgrade' can simply be stored in a small .ZIP of just a few Mb's to be dropped into the game folder where the EAW.EXE resides. In other words, that person has a choice to offer such package himself and take credit for it! If you don't like the reticule, you throw in another or if you don't like the sky, you replace it with another one from Sandbagger's, I mean that's how it has always been done isn't it? EAWPRO is build the same way and as long as you provide the files in the right EAWPRO format things will work the same way too.

Having a central download location for my creation helps users to remain aware of pending releases, fixes and/or upgrades while other downloads elsewhere will only further muddy the waters at the cost of the EAW community. Without the apropiate instructions and identification vital feedback is withheld from the person who created it and forces that person to further restrict the package to what is essentially nothing more then a Demo and spend precious time on implementing extra routines or removing existing ones which have no other use then to stop this foolish behavior. I'd rather spend my time on making this game much more interesting but actions like these are severely hampering further development and in case of serious programming errors I have no control over fixing said uploads as they are not under my control and therefore unsupported. Besides that I'm getting pretty tired of it and when I get tired there's more chances for errors.

The person who undertakes such foolish action can not help you, as he never took part in the 20+ years of development of EAWPRO and it remains to be seen what other side effects this may have on EAWPRO players who encounter such bugs. I've seen many people throw in the towel when there were issues and I never saw them again. Things get worse when a version is flagged as dangerous and don't think that such versions do not occasionally slip through the mazes of my security net. It's not done on purpose but sometimes bugs can not immediately be linked to a change and tracking them isn't made any easier with multiple versions of which I'm not aware, you can see that in other versions too. Simply because of the complexity of the program it may take months to fully test it and in the vastness of the EAW world things may not be happening within your range of view, hence you may not even be aware of a developing issue in spite of knowing there is one.

Now this ISN"T just playing games with anyone or anything, these are real and serious issues which have to be prevented, i.e. such files need to be reported and removed for the safety of the EAW community, so please report them to the moderators or me so appropriate action can be taken and we can maintain a safe gaming environment. I'm sorry to say that further releases of my work have been postponed for now until I find a way to prevent more of such foolish actions by these irresponsible persons.

I understand people may have questions about EAWPRO's changes but just as with any program I can not always supply an answer as such knowledge is often reserved for the development team only. However I feel that sufficient knowledge has been given to allow players the best experience, especially since EAWPRO is a FREE upgrade. So if you think you have an answer to the initial question send me a P.M., maybe something can be done about it.

VonBeerhofen

EAW Launchpad janitor

eawpro.jpg

Edited by VonBeerhofen
piccy added

10 hours ago, VonBeerhofen said:

Now this ISN"T just playing games with anyone or anything, these are real and serious issues which have to be prevented, i.e. such files need to be reported and removed for the safety of the EAW community, so please report them to the moderators or me so appropriate action can be taken and we can maintain a safe gaming environment. I'm sorry to say that further releases of my work have been postponed for now until I find a way to prevent more of such foolish actions by these irresponsible persons.

When you say these files are "dangerous" and need to be "removed for the safety of the EAW community"...are there viruses or malware in them? Or are you just posturing to get a rival's mods removed?

Of course you throw in the threat of how you're going to pick up your toys and go home if your demands aren't met. The two of you have done more to fracture and ruin the EAW community more than anyone else with your petty BS. To be honest...one of you dropping out might not be the worst thing for what's left of the community.

Who are you, and why are you hiding your true screen name from the EAW community here, when you go and make statements like you have.

The EAWPRO version file Jel rebranded is faulty, its not a virus or malware in that sense, its can crash the computer. VBH released a patch soon after that fixed the issue, which Jel file does not contain.

VBH, just wants his stuff left alone and doesn't want more than one location for the download currently. I see no problem with that.

Edited by Stratos
No personal attacks
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MarkEAW said:

Who are you, and why are you hiding your true screen name from the EAW community here, when you go and make statements like you have.

The EAWPRO version file Jel rebranded is faulty, its not a virus or malware in that sense, its can crash the computer. VBH released a patch soon after that fixed the issue, which Jel file does not contain,. Why would Jel go and do this anyhow other than out of jealousy like he has done in the past. 

VBH, just wants his stuff left alone and doesn't want more than one location for the download currently. I see no problem with that.

I'm not hiding any true screen name here...Force10 has been my screen name since 1998.

I'm currently a global moderator at SimHQ and have been for the last 8 years. (member for almost 20)

If you read VB's post...you might recognize SimHQ as the place that hosts the dangerous file that makes the EAW community unsafe. At least that's how it reads the way he phrased it.

So just to set the record straight... SimHQ is a discussion forum. SimHQ doesn't have a version of the software, disputed or otherwise. Authoring and distribution is all by other parties, not SimHQ. Giving the impression that we host "dangerous" files is something I have a problem with. SimHQ has done what it can to give both modding parties their own sub-forums, moderating them the best they can...and has over 300,000 posts regarding EAW that can be accessed with both our live forum and EAW archive forum.

Why on earth a modder that has had a sub-forum created for him at SimHQ...would spread misleading info that we have dangerous files is beyond me. I can only guess he doesn't value the traffic and the service SimHQ provides any longer. Personally...I haven't flown EAW in 5 years or so and couldn't tell you who's mod I used last, and have no preference either way.

I have however...received every complaint registered in the EAW forum over the last 8 years that needed one of our moderators attention. For our efforts...we get misleading info being spread. Luckily, I'm just one voice of many at SimHQ in terms of admin/moderator staff...because if it were up to me I would lock the EAWPRO sub forum as an archive read only and ban VB for spreading this crap. Stolen work or not...giving the impression we host dangerous files is a hanging offense to me given the effort SimHQ has put in for the EAW modders.

Naw, you haven't been following. Just read the comment section of the the files Jel posted here at CombatACE, and some place else in the forum that at the moment I can't find. 

EDIT:

I looks like part of the discussions in my thread about what I should post. There's a brief mention of finding out what that file is. I didn't know what it was and its been sitting there since 2019.

and then the comment section of the files Jel posted.

Edited by Stratos
No personal attacks

Mark,

I appreciate you trying to explain the situation but the politics aren't my concern at the moment. The EAW section isn't my watch and we have moderators that are more knowledgeable about the history to make more informed decisions. My problem is this...right here in your thread dated August 8th:

On 8/8/2023 at 10:40 AM, VonBeerhofen said:

I ran JelFixV2.exe and it is the in SimHQ disputed version of EAWPRO which he also tried to incorporate into an OAW version.

VonBeerhofen

Launchpad Janitor and Creator of EAWPRO

"the SimHQ disputed version"? Really? Not only does it read like we host the file(which we don't)...it almost sounds like we helped create it(which we didn't). Then throw on top of it the sprinkling of how "dangerous" it is along with the "safety of the EAW community" being at stake? This nonsense is coming from a member that we were trying to help with his own sub forum and frequent moderation no less. It instantly makes me not care about his plight given the fact he's dragging SimHQ through the mud with his rhetoric.

Honestly...I've been modding my sims for 25 years and if I downloaded a mod that made my game worse...it would be uninstalled and I would be commenting on it in forums. If what you're saying is true, and the mod is really that bad...word will get around and it will be a self correcting problem without having to use the tactic of slandering SimHQ. I guess we'll see if VB wants to continue escalating the situation by making more derogatory comments about SimHQ. (where he currently has his own sub-forum at present)

I've said enough...this is my last post on the subject here.

Aw, you where referring to another thread. I only double checked this thread for that reference, before i proceeded.

Yeah SimHQ currently doesn't host EAW files other than links pointing to external files from the EAW Forum by Jel's posts.

I would just ask VBH to clarify the post , if he can still edit it.  He clearly indented to reference Jels previous posts from the past at SimHQ. 
VBH, isn't out to get or screw anyone over. He's just working on his hobby and time killers. Much like what I do with the EAWHS, kills time, sometimes too much. :)

Alright well hopefully this thread is over, given that VBH has a chance to respond.

No files were uploaded to SimHQ, however links were shown to a person's Mediafire account where the bad version was offered first, incorporated in a file manager. After what I would call a battle for ownership, the file was seemingly removed but had just been renamed and uploaded here. I have no problem if the file remains, after all it's those who install it who also run the risk and the person who hosts it is responsible for any resulting issues. If you think that restoring a few stock 3D models and repackaging with another person's name, hard coded into my work is a mod, then yes it is a mod, but I must stress that due to  the many hard coded changes in the program there is very little room for modding by people who were not involved in it's development and makes it much more likely to increase the danger.

However that doesn't take away the fact that this version is bad, where as a good version is freely available from Mark EAW's website. You're welcome to your opinion but I do not intend to proof the danger this version contains, it's my creation and my documentation says it is, but you don't have to take my word for it. Any decent assembly programmer can verify that it's true. Mistakes just happen and aren't always immediately caught in the testing process, which is why feedback is so important. Besides, wouldn't it be more prudent to replace that version with the latest, nothing wrong with that me thinks. I can't undo the 500+ downloads though.

I'm very happy with the locations to show my work, thx, but I don't see what that has to do with reiterating a warning about a dangerous file to keep people safe. What seems more significant is that a person went ahead with uploading that file in spite of such warnings. I'll replace the word disputed with another, maybe the word discussed is more suitable but I don't think it's the right word either, sorry for being Dutch.

I see that Mark EAW managed to delete the offending ZIP and I'm pleased it's no longer an issue, for me that is. My excuse to anyone who were involuntarily dragged into this but I didn't know how else to describe this threat as my English vocabulary isn't great, especially not without translation programs or regular Google searches.

VonBeerhofen

Edited by VonBeerhofen

Geez Stratos, nice that you edited my posts and interrupted a calm discussion. I didn't make any personnel attacks, its only in your head that I did. Everything was spot on and not a personnel attack. Wow.

VBH, the download count is for all files in that archive, not just the one imposter file thats was removed. So the true count seems to be unknown.

OK Mark, NP.

Sorry Stratos, I was editing and briefly saw you commented as I resaved the tekst which erased your comment. No disrespect intended and I have nothing more to say.