Open Club  ·  12 members

Sign in to follow this  
VonBeerhofen

City District Structuring

or bringing order to the chaos. I've applied a previously described algorithm of grouping tiles on the Italian cities which forms them more into what one might call 'districts', i.e. more organized then what was shown in the previous thread. The fractal algorithm can create many different layouts using various parameters, one of which is determined by looking at an entire region and the neighboring tiles surrounding a particular tile. It then randomizes smaller groups it creates and adds an occasional seed between them so the group isn't just echoing a certain tile. In the below calculation groups are created from the outside inward, taking the city's shape into account, after all the surrounding tiles influence the outcome of the calculation. As part of the fun 1/2 of the tile map uses an inverted calculation as can be seen in the last 3 pictures which is Munich, hence it's border and center differs from the  other pictures shown. The other 5 are London.

Group00.jpg

Group01.jpg

Group02.jpg

Group03.jpg

Group04.jpg

Group05.jpg

Group06.jpg

Group07.jpg

Group08.jpg

You heard it first in www.combatace.com

VonBeerhofen

Edited by VonBeerhofen

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By VonBeerhofen
      No more repetitive borders or center tiles and more different villages. With this randomization all village and city tiles can be used at will where ever in the game  in any possible rotational state, and it's a lot less mapping work. I already showed the idea some time ago but not with the Harvest City Set. There is still some work to be done to narrow some borders and create the right impression I'm after but I think it's slowly getting there.
      Here's a few screen shots, as an experiment a few village tiles were replaced with breaker field tiles and two different city/village layouts were tried, which means that the randomization for each layout is entirely different while the cities and village sizes and positions weren't changed. 

You heard it first on combatace.com
      VonBeerhofen
    • By VonBeerhofen
      Here's a compilation of the 12 latest tiles for the 'Harvest' set. I created a temporary map where all other tiles were removed from and randomly filled the EAW world with these 12 tiles only. 12 screen shots were taken of which 6 are displayed now. The remaining 6 will replace these pictures at a later date as I may not have captured all 12 tiles in these screenies and to safe on page loading times .

VonBeerhofen
    • By VonBeerhofen
      Regularly my terrain editor comes across this coastal situation for which the standard EAW tile set has no solution. It concerns a narrow passage between two land masses. Ofcourse you can simply widen the passage and use two corner tiles but I think this is sometimes more elegant when there's a large number of this situation, like for instance with a large number of islands close together. I think it serves a few more purposes so here's an example of the tile I use in 2 rotational states.

VonBeerhofen

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..