Sign in to follow this  
xclusiv8

Republic XF-84H Thunderscreech

I was reading the wiki on the F-84F Thunderstreak when i saw this link.

This airplane must have been an amazing sight to see and i cant even imagine what it sounded like. The propeller rotated at a supersonic speed which made the airplane hearable from 40 km away. That is freaking amazing. And according to the wiki the propeller created a constant sonic boom eminating from the propeller.. WOW

Thunderscreech

800px-Republic_XF-84H_in_flight.jpg

I've got pictures from when it was at the USAF museum...ugly piece of FOD.

It was said the sound made people physically ill...I believe it.

FC

• Like 1

Flying Vuvuzela?

I've got pictures from when it was at the USAF museum...ugly piece of FOD.

It was said the sound made people physically ill...I believe it.

FC

Could you plz post those pics FC? If its not to much trouble :drinks:

this plane was hard to command and the noise make mad all the test pilots...perhaps it could be thebest weapon for the vietkongs, to make them leave the jungle :)by the way, there was also an f-101 that used the same conformation with propeller at the nose.both of them discarted because the jet engines became more powerful and secure

this plane was hard to command and the noise make mad all the test pilots...perhaps it could be thebest weapon for the vietkongs, to make them leave the jungle :)by the way, there was also an f-101 that used the same conformation with propeller at the nose.both of them discarted because the jet engines became more powerful and secure

yep, the XF-88 Voodoo...even if i'm not sure if it had the same reputation of the thunderstreech

somewhre around here, I've got a pic of it on the pole mount at Bakersfield airport, years before it was moved to Wright-Patt.

Gotta find it, and scan it...

wrench

kevin stein