Were you in a War?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which War?

• IndoChina War
    • Gulf War
    • Iraq War
    • None of the Above

Gulf War I

Russian linguist :search: , 101st Military Intelligence Battalion, 1st Infantry Division

I have a nephew who's a Marine over there right now, second tour. He does maintenance on UAVs.

I'am not russian but i was in the Gulf War ,U.S. 1st Armored Division ,i rode in a M1A1 i didn't see that much action but we did destory a T-62 with a HEAT round we rip it apart and after the war i had a thing about russian tanks??? :dry:

Cold War

U-2C, U-2R, TR-1 Pilot

B-52G Pilot

Cold War

U-2C, U-2R, TR-1 Pilot

B-52G Pilot

Jug,

My Grandpa worked for Lockheed on the U-2, SR-71, F-117. Did you by any chance know someone named John Wall?

Thanks,

Mark

Jug,

My Grandpa worked for Lockheed on the U-2, SR-71, F-117. Did you by any chance know someone named John Wall?

Thanks,

Mark

Was he at Palmdale or one of the overseas detachments? I seem to have come across the name, but I'm a little fuzzy. Did he have a specialty such as PSD, systems, avionics, or airframe. Just taking a guess here, but at his age he was probably one of the original Skunk Works team that did it all and did it all well. Kelley Johnson used to say, "I can deliver an SR-71 to Moscow and they would never fly it nor reproduce it. The sad thing is I can't either!" By that time (early-1980s) the original team of very talented prime time players known as the Skunk Works had retired or were dead and their skills could not be replaced.

Little known but interesting fact. All U-2 and SR-71 pilots had to pre-breathe oxygen for minimum of one hour to prevent the "bends" at altitude and the Sled (SR-71) crews had to pre-breathe in the cockpit, because cockpit familiarization took about an hour. When the Sled was made (last one came off the assembly line in 1962) they were all hand made and sometimes the instruments were situated on the instrument panel where they ran out of cable. So each aircraft was different and the pilots had to re-familiarize themselves where everything was every time they flew. U-2 guys would suit up and climb into a recliner lounge chair (Xtra large) and take a nap.

Your grandfather is an extraordinary man. Love to meet him or you sometime.

Was he at Palmdale or one of the overseas detachments? I seem to have come across the name, but I'm a little fuzzy. Did he have a specialty such as PSD, systems, avionics, or airframe. Just taking a guess here, but at his age he was probably one of the original Skunk Works team that did it all and did it all well. Kelley Johnson used to say, "I can deliver an SR-71 to Moscow and they would never fly it nor reproduce it. The sad thing is I can't either!" By that time (early-1980s) the original team of very talented prime time players known as the Skunk Works had retired or were dead and their skills could not be replaced.

Little known but interesting fact. All U-2 and SR-71 pilots had to pre-breathe oxygen for minimum of one hour to prevent the "bends" at altitude and the Sled (SR-71) crews had to pre-breathe in the cockpit, because cockpit familiarization took about an hour. When the Sled was made (last one came off the assembly line in 1962) they were all hand made and sometimes the instruments were situated on the instrument panel where they ran out of cable. So each aircraft was different and the pilots had to re-familiarize themselves where everything was every time they flew. U-2 guys would suit up and climb into a recliner lounge chair (Xtra large) and take a nap.

Your grandfather is an extraordinary man. Love to meet him or you sometime.

yes he was a Crew Chief and for a while chief steward at Plant 42. He also worked at the test site on other aircraft he cant talk about. It nice just to talk about some of the things he did. He was also a crew chief on F-105s out of Udorn.

Mark

GWI, the Gulf War to end all gulf wars. . . seems something like that's been said somewhere before. . . .

Bahrain, Shaikh-Isa airbase. F-4G Wild Weasels out of George AFB, Victorville, CA.

Not too bad for me. My brother was stationed with me also.

First GulfWar, 12B 317th Engr Bn (Combat Mech), Cco, mobilty/countermobility platoon US Army. Deployed from Camp Eschborn Germany 5 Dec 90 to 5 May 91.

Joined 1986 with the delayed entry program. Went to boot in july 1987 Ft LeanoardWood,Mo. Was reserve untill march 89. went active:

Cco 7th Engr Bn Ft Polk

Cco,Bco,HHC 317th Engr Bn Camp Eschborne Germany/Ft Benning(3rd Bde 24th ID Kelly hill)

HHC 2 Engr Bn Camp Castle Korea, was there in 1994 a lot of sh** went down that year (look it up folks!)

Cco 14th Engr Bn Ft Lewis (ETS'd from here march '97)

Edited by Riptide

Guest 531_Ghost

For the Iranian Hostage rescue attempt, I got to launch the CAP support aircraft (F4N). For Desert Storm, I was stuck at Ft Hood as the T700 Engine Rep :angry: And for OIF, I got to play at Ali Al Salem supporting 3 Marine HMLAs 1 Army Dust Off Unit and 1 US Navy Combat SAR Unit :cool:

not in a war but had 2 people i kno in a war 1 was in ww2 and 1 was and is(or might be in iraq) hes a tank comander

Viet-Nam. USAF PJ, served in July-September 1972, then the war ended. Well, it ended for us.

Soon to serve in Iraq.

For the Iranian Hostage rescue attempt, I got to launch the CAP support aircraft (F4N). For Desert Storm, I was stuck at Ft Hood as the T700 Engine Rep :angry: And for OIF, I got to play at Ali Al Salem supporting 3 Marine HMLAs 1 Army Dust Off Unit and 1 US Navy Combat SAR Unit :cool:

Damn Ghost! You must have 24+ years in!

I have a few years in myself, almost 18 years now (21 days will make exactly 18 years TIS). About 75% of it in the reserves. 20 years just seems so long, even with only 2 years to make 20, I still can't believe it has been that long. :)

Seen my share of in-country assignments during that time too, got activated three times in the 12 years I have been in the reserves.

Some of it fun, most of it not, but all of it memorable.

Keep that funny spinning thing up and the shiny side down...

-Skater

Viet-Nam. USAF PJ, served in July-September 1972, then the war ended. Well, it ended for us.

Soon to serve in Iraq.

OMG!

How much TIS do you have? 40+?

-Skater

Cold War. Was on the Saratoga during the Hostage Crisis.

Ghost, was the Navy CSAR Unit HCS-5 or 4 ? Just wondering as The Firehawks were my last outfit. (hence the name )

Guest 531_Ghost
Cold War. Was on the Saratoga during the Hostage Crisis.

Ghost, was the Navy CSAR Unit HCS-5 or 4 ? Just wondering as The Firehawks were my last outfit. (hence the name )

HCS-5 out of NI. I've been supporting them since they were in Pt Magu too. I was there (Ali Al Salem) when (I think) 45? had a "hard landing". Heh yeah Skater I've been playin' the game since 1978 :shok: (28 years) in one way or another.

HCS-5 out of NI. I've been supporting them since they were in Pt Magu too. I was there (Ali Al Salem) when (I think) 45? had a "hard landing". Heh yeah Skater I've been playin' the game since 1978 :shok: (28 years) in one way or another.

Damn Ghosty! And here I thought you looked like a young guy! :)

Seriously... I was 8 when you took the Oath. You were doing the do when I was in Underroos and making woop woop sounds with my GI Joe chopper.

God bless you, and those like you.

-Skater

Guest 531_Ghost

Old? Me? HAH! Not yet ;)