Sign in to follow this  
SayWhat

HMSights/Off boresight targeting??

Hey, this is a question for the modders but what are the odds of being able to integrate targeting and the mouse/free look contols? I'm thinking in terms of off boresight targeting like in LOMAC or even with Turret mounted weapons on such vehicles as the AH-1/Mi-24 etc? Would this at all be possible or is it just a pipe dream? It just occured to me last night when I was fiddling around with the Mi-24 during a CAS run...

would be nice to have a point and click style for moveable guns, mainly on the choppers.

Guest capun

AFIK you can't do it since the turrets are AI controlled and use for air defenses only.

As for the fixed guns, you have a fixed Aim Angle change but that is not dynamic.

But you learn by trying things and we have uncovered things by trial and error, so go ahead and experiment and see what happens.

mainly ment on the choppers the guns in real life can turn, would be nice if that was available.

mainly ment on the choppers the guns in real life can turn, would be nice if that was available.

...and I was thinking a little more along the lines of widening the targeting area of the IRMs, or somehow linking it to the mouse look. A mate of mine's looking into it but I won't get my hopes up as it'll be a big ask :sorry:

I just thought of something! In the meantime, what about assigning the turret mounted guns on the gunships to the AI. It would give the appearance of it being trainable... only question from there is can you specify it to attack only ground units?

Guest capun
I just thought of something! In the meantime, what about assigning the turret mounted guns on the gunships to the AI. It would give the appearance of it being trainable... only question from there is can you specify it to attack only ground units?

So who do you think drives the turrets currently? The pilot? Wrong !!!!

The AI has been running the turrets since the first release.

And read my post, they are only for air defensive purposes only.

So who do you think drives the turrets currently? The pilot? Wrong !!!!

The AI has been running the turrets since the first release.

And read my post, they are only for air defensive purposes only.

Whoa... relax dude. :tomato: Gimme some cred, I know the pilot can't do everything! :) (Even if the makers of the KA-50 think otherwise!)

I already knew about the defensive turrets on bombers because I'm pretty sure I read it from your post, I meant the AI controlling the gat too, leaving the pilot the weaps on the stub wings. But I guess its all academic now if they can only target air... cheers anyhow.

Guest capun

It was said in jest, so don't take it bad. :)

It was said in jest, so don't take it bad. :)

Yeah, soz dude, my bad. :sorry:

I'd been modding for a few hours with only about half of what I was doing working properly. Was getting kinda stressed :p

I would think that would be pretty cool, you could do something like the soliders on the doors of UH-1H, but I think that it wouldn't be possible for the turret to target only ground units... for now. It probally wouldn't be that useful if it's for air defence and it's on the chin of the heli because it would either look weird firing through the aircraft of it can only fire at an aircraft in the front, which without a turret the pilot can shoot. You would have to make sure that it can only point left to right and a little up and down or else you would have (like above) tracers going through your aircraft or even your turret shooting you down! You also would probally have to put guns that the pilot can control, so that if you use up all your ordianance, you can have a backup gun! How far have you gotten so far?

( :offtopic: ) on a sidenote, is it possible to get the guys on the UH-1H firing?

EDIT- spelling!

Edited by jtin

( :offtopic: ) on a sidenote, is it possible to get the guys on the UH-1H firing?

In a word, yes. Although any gun system mounted on an aircraft can be turned into a flex-gun, it will still only target airborne threats. If TK were to introduce the necessary variable (and code) for "air_and_ground" targetting for flex-guns into the aircraftobject.dll, then it would be possible. So far, that variable is only available (and valid) for ground objects.

on a sidenote, is it possible to get the guys on the UH-1H firing?

They do fire but only defensively.

This question was asked a few month's back and although i have never had them fire on anything if i'm not mistaken the person that answered the question even posted screen shots showing the gunners blasting away at something.

Yeah, where abouts are the archived posts, if they're kept at all? I tried the search engine but came up with nada...