Sign in to follow this  
Forlorn

Enhanced Rolling Thunder campaign

I am working on an enhanced Rolling Thunder campaign, check the link for my changelog so far. (mainly eyecandy atm). Any suggestions?

Is there a way to change the base for carrier based units? for example I tried to assign first the Intrepid and later the Coral Sea as base - no luck yet.

changelog

thx :D

Is there a way to change the base for carrier based units? for example I tried to assign first the Intrepid and later the Coral Sea as base - no luck yet.

What are you trying to do? Change the carrier or change the position of the carrier? If you change the carrier number, be sure to change the carrier numbers of the aircraft that are based on it. For example, if you want to use the Coral Sea, you can change the type of carrier with no problem, but if you change the numbers, you have to go to the aircraft that are based on the carrier and look for a carrier number and change it to correspond with the carrier. I think that the only reason for that is so that you can have mutiple carriers at one station.

If you want to change the position of the carrier, go the the terrain_targets.ini and add a new station and put the numbers in (I like to find out the position numbers using KMD, it displays the position of you mouse pointer thing at the lower right hand corner). If you want to assign an aircraft to a carrier on that station, you have to change both the number and the station name.

After reading several books about the Navy actions during Vietnam War I decided to bring up a campaign with actual data behind. I removed all USAF units since the Routes were service based - and the campaing in stock WoV were a bit dull - I mean everytime a Thud squadron was moving through the thickest SAM, for a target in the same alpha strike area. That never happened during Rolling Thunder. I also added the actual carrier cruises (which were very accurate in stock WoV), added high quality skin and made them available in their tour time. Every unit with a new skin is actually placed on the carrier and tour date. To avoid performance issues with Mytai's high quality F-4 skin i made a choice to place a squadron to another tour - one skin is 300 MB. ;)

I also fixed some issues like hooks, numbers and supply so far. I will upload later the current changelog. Use the link above.

Ah, whole RL was a bit too much for the first attempt. So back to a single campaign: Oriskany 66. Join CVW-16 on the 2nd deployment of the USS Oriskany during Vietnam War. Campaign focus is upon alpha strike simulation.

Flyable aircraft: F-8D, F-8E_GF, A-1H, A-4E - all with the correct numbers, tailcodes and skins.

vf-111.jpg

va-152.jpg

va-163.jpg

va-164.jpg

vf-162.jpg

looks good, nice idea to concentrate on one AirWing :)

Edited by Crusader

Nice Work,Forlorn!!!

Sticking to one boat and one Carrier Air Group was a good idea.

Some trivia: VA-163 was Senator John Mccain's outfit when he went POW during Vietnam.

Very nice, I'm glad you could fix your problem!

I am beta testing the whole thing, when done I will upload it here. :D

Looking forward to this, great work! Good Blog as well!

It´s looking very nice.

I will be waiting for it too.

Ok, I built a new PC, little too much of work. ;) However await a release soon. ;)