Sign in to follow this  
Splash2

Stephen Udvar Hazy Center at Dulles

Sweet.

10000000X better then the stupid dim light of the USAF Museum in Dayton. Lots of light shed on these wonderful aircraft.....love it.

Didn't the Valkyrie goto Dulles? I was pissed when I waz at dayton last and it was missing from the collection.

Fates

Sweet.

10000000X better then the stupid dim light of the USAF Museum in Dayton. Lots of light shed on these wonderful aircraft.....love it.

Didn't the Valkyrie goto Dulles? I was pissed when I waz at dayton last and it was missing from the collection.

Fates

Hey Fates,

There wasn't a Valkyrie there but there is an SR-71 and a Concorde, I would have liked to see one as well. It's listed in the research & devlopment area at the Air Force museum but I live in DC and sometimes I know they close off exhibits in the museums when they are working on them. The fuselage of the Enola Gay was at the downtown museum for a while until they completed the entire plane and moved it to Dulles. Maybe they were working on the Valkyrie during your visit. I would have been upset too.

What surprised me the most was how small the Arado-234 was. In the documentaries on TV it looks much larger than it is in real life. They also had the last remains of the Horten flying wing, which was also much smaller than what I expected. The Do-335 is a bigger than what I expected for a fighter. It was bigger than the P-61.

Not to disapoint you but I did lighten up these pics in Photoshop, my Coolpix 8400's flash wasn't enough but it is still well lit museum. I like this museum better than the Air & Space museum in downtown DC.

Anyone ever visiting DC it's worth the 30 minute drive out to Dulles. You can also catch a bus from the Air & Space museum in downtown DC.

Sp2

Edited by Splash2

Wonderful photos, thanks for sharing them with us all. Makes me want to fire up IL2FB/AEP/PF, there’s a really good Do-335 there!

Splash2,

You missed the addition of the F-14 yesterday! :sorry: They had lots of guest speakers, and everything! (see Tomcat Sunset post) Nice pics!

Splash2,

You missed the addition of the F-14 yesterday! :sorry: They had lots of guest speakers, and everything! (see Tomcat Sunset post) Nice pics!

jtin,

Yeah, I know, I had to work so I couldn't go. But hey, I got to be around them in the early 80's on the deck of the Eisenhower. Will never forget first time seeing the burners kick in on night ops. Also, got blown down the deck a few feet one time (with tie down chains) when I didn't see an F-14 turn for the catapault. Also, never forget March 6, 1982 in the Med, scariest day of my life!

Here's a pic that I shot with the morning sun behind the tomcat during the Med cruise in 82. I'll rescan the photo when I have more time but it is one of my favorites out of all the pics I'd taken during the cruise.

Tomcat.jpg

I hate to see the Tomcat as a museum piece (most vets I know have a little regret when something that was an integral part of their service gets retired) but I'm glad they put one at the Hazy center nearby.

Sp2

Edited by Splash2