Sign in to follow this  
Brophmeister

.ini editing tutorial requested

Hi,

I am seeking help modifying the aircrafts .ini files, specifically editing handling characteristics. I am looking to bring some rather nice looking helicopters that I downloaded up to "stable" flying standards. Not realistic, just flyable...

Ummm did you check the knowledge base here in the SF/WOE/WOV/FE section? Also have you looked in the downloads section for helos?

Hi,

I am seeking help modifying the aircrafts .ini files, specifically editing handling characteristics. I am looking to bring some rather nice looking helicopters that I downloaded up to "stable" flying standards. Not realistic, just flyable...

There really is no tutorial available for FMs, and writing one would require only a bit less work than writing a novel!

CL0, CLa, CD0 and their respective tables determine lift at zero alpha, lift as determined by alpha angle (AoA), and drag at zero alpha.

The former can be calculated by a rather involved set of formulae (Luckily, we have a few labor saving apps & spreadsheets that help us to maintain an acceptable brain cell count during and after the process :smile: )

The latter can likewise be (roughly) calculated by taking frontal surface area as it relates to the shape of the surface. Not an easy task, and one that I freely admit to have taken liberties with in order to arrive at "probable" values. The illustration below should give you an idea, as well as supply you with the actual formula:

shaped.gif

My suggestion is that you perform a search at Third Wire's site on the following topics: "Aero Values", "Stall Values", "Inertia Values".

I hope this has been of some help to you.

Yes, I have downloaded a helo (capuns nice looking seahawk), and yes, I have checked the knowledge base. The tutorial in there seemed to only work for fixed wing aircraft, and not for choppers (maybe its just my retarded skills). Well, if there isnt a tutorial availible does anyone have a decent flight model for a chopper?

Yes, I have downloaded a helo (capuns nice looking seahawk), and yes, I have checked the knowledge base. The tutorial in there seemed to only work for fixed wing aircraft, and not for choppers (maybe its just my retarded skills). Well, if there isnt a tutorial availible does anyone have a decent flight model for a chopper?

Choppers aren't really supported as such in SF.

Yes, I have read that in other posts but what I would like is for the helicopter model that I have downloaded to fly like any other aircraft. I have already tried copying and pasting data from one aircraft into the choppers _data.ini file, but then SFG just crashed to desktop when I tried flying said chopper.

If the chopper that causes the ctd is the Mi-24 Hind then in the Knowledge Base is the answer - this post "Aircraft CTD or Low fps".

I was getting crashes until I found the answer here.

Also the mi-24 bucks like a bronco if you fly with flight model settings on hard - change to normal or easy.

Hope this helps.

Ah, the good ol' Knowledge Base.

USAFMTL & BUFF give it a plug everytime someone asks a Q that it answers. And they never seem to get frustrated about doing it.

Good on you fellas.