Sign in to follow this  
Tailspin

Formation flying....

This is interesting. Here an attacking flight (AI) of Alb DVa. I don't recall seeing this type of nice neat formation flying before the patch...or did I miss it?

alb.jpg

I haven't seen anything like that. What are you in? A quick "Create Mission" from the menu? I'm not getting any sort of formation flying at all from the ai when I try to create missions using the mission builder, just a loose gaggle.

Planes on "Attack" missions seem to hold formation much better... well too good because they dont break of no matter how much you shoot at them...

When its 2 seaters on attack mission its ok because they have their rear gun... but single seaters are just cherry targets...

Tex

Upon further observation the fighters do break the echelon formation and spread out when nearer the enemy.

Wow, what a bummer!

I just got FE (patched to latest) and even though flight is at the low speeds of WW1, the planes cannot form close formations.

One of the nicest things in SF P1, WOV, and WOE is that, while flying to target, you can check the formation group and enjoy the trip and ambience. In FE you feel you are flying alone and there is no immersion affect. Please...we need a patch that gives FE the same affect of SFP1, WOV, and WOE. It is not as if it has to be invented for the first time. Thirdwire- patch please!

I haven't seen anything like that. What are you in? A quick "Create Mission" from the menu? I'm not getting any sort of formation flying at all from the ai when I try to create missions using the mission builder, just a loose gaggle.

This was a Defensive Patrol single mission on the French side. The echelon is is a flight of Albatros DVa fighters. I've since seen this several times. Just hit F6 and cycle through all the A/C. At a certain range a little closer to their target the enemy fighters will spread out into a "gaggle" for the attack. If you can catch them early enough in their flight you should see the echelon.

Big Al...I think formations sometimes depend on the length of the missions. Short flight don't allow for all the AI to form up. Realistic? :dntknw: Show stopper? :no:

Show stopper: not yet- I have hopes for a patch

Definite downgrade of sim: yes

There is plenty of time for formations to form, especially when I'm flying at 47 mph waiting for them. Besides...they are also going 47 mph way behind as they sway sideways in confusion and do not fly level. This to me is a basic flaw. I'm a Project Manager. There is no way I would put unfinished work like this out for sale. Though I can dogfight, it takes my interest away from the sim. It's all about more than just the player dogfight, otherwise, you can't call it a sim. Modern world being what it is...we must give the game creators a chance to give us a patch while they have already sold us the game and are keeping our money. We wait and hope for a patch !