im trying to get a desert terrain, i dont care which one i just want on very badly, ive tried isreal, suez, and a photo-realistic desert, none of which worked, in the read-me for isreal it says rename the desert.cat files isreal.cat, but i cant find any desert.cat, suez half-worked, i was able to fly it in game but there was no color it was all just white, the isreal thing actually also worked except that there was some color, but a large portion of the map was also white, ANWgreen worked fine for me, the desert version of that didn't work though, i could wait for the new one with iraq and saudi arabia and all those countries but i dont know when thats gonna come out

that one didnt work either

exactly what i did: downloaded file and got a box with one red side on it,made a new folder called desert in the terrain folder, back to the red box,right-click, open with/compressed(zipped) folders, highlighted all files, right-click, cut, back to the terrain/desert, paste

didn't work

What happens when ya do that ... do the files that you cut and paste NOT move to the new folder ?

If ya have a new desert folder folder in your terrain folder I believe ya only need 1 or they won't show up.

This is how I went about it ... I created a new folder on my desk top and just left it named " new folder "

I then right click on the file I want to open and I select extract to and I select the " new folder " as the path.

When all the files are placed in the "new folder" I then cut all the files in that folder and paste them into

the current terrain/desert folder .

Works for me ~

thats because you need Desert.cat, which I believe you can only get from SF

just like WoV has Vietnam.cat.. and WoE has GermanyCE.cat

so basically you need the game

thats because you need Desert.cat, which I believe you can only get from SF

just like WoV has Vietnam.cat.. and WoE has GermanyCE.cat

so basically you need the game

If you have WOV or WOE you can use the Isreal or the Israel 2 terrain, you just have to change the cat. from desert to vietnamSEA or germanyCE. Then you have to use another set of desert tiles to fill in the blanks. Deuces has a set that wroked for me. I've been running both Israel and Israel 2 in my WOV.

The knowledge base has step-by-step instructions here:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=12230

in my defeat i was amazed at how i was still able to get the bering straight map up and running, it had a ton more files than any of the other ones i tried downloading, and i do have WOV not SF or WOE, so it seems that there should be a default desert folder in there that i dont have

in my defeat i was amazed at how i was still able to get the bering straight map up and running, it had a ton more files than any of the other ones i tried downloading, and i do have WOV not SF or WOE, so it seems that there should be a default desert folder in there that i dont have

WOV doesn't have the desert tiles, therefore you have to downlaod them from somewhere else.

Use Deuces enhanced desert tiles; just put them into the Israel folder. They are found here:http://www.sfmods.com/terrain.html

Then go in to the Israel.ini and change the Desert.cat to VietnamSEA.cat

That's what I did and it works fine.

Gepard has specifically made a tileset for non-SFP1 users of Isreal 2 at

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autom...p;showfile=3778

I guess you can use it for Suez too, but the photorealistic desert is only tiles, so if you want to use those, you can also put them in the Isreal 2 folder, overwriting the other tiles. Same with Deuces' tilesets.

You can not get the desert terrain unless you have SFP1, and same with the Desert Storm terrain, since a sea tile is used that has no repaint equivilant, but if you have the talents, you can make it.

Good luck!

Edited by jtin

Easiest solution if you do NOT have SFP1 like me.

Just Copy and paste the GermanyCE.cat into the specific terrain folder you want to use.

Then RENAME GermanyCE.cat into that terrain's specific name.. let's say you want to do libya?

Change the GermanyCE.cat into Libya.cat.. then follow the directions below

Then go into the Terrain's main ini file.. (example would be Libya.ini or GermanyCE.ini or Israel 2.ini, you get the idea right?)

and then add the following lines ..\*****\*****.cat

For Example

[Terrain]

TerrainFullName=Libya

DataFile=Libya_data.INI

CatFile=..\Libya\Libya.cat <--- this is what you need to add to the main ini file

I on the other hand would put the entire address to the file.. for example

C:\Program Files\Wings Over Europe\Terrain\Libya\Libya.cat

but I suppose the ..\Libya\Libya.cat works as well