Sign in to follow this  
Red Von Hammer

OFF Phase 2

Yeah, The Pilot die`s system is a little odd in OFF. That and the desktop going back to 1024x768 is the only issues I find pretty much annoying in OFF, but they don`t keep me from playing the game.

OFF actually has a challenge, to survive 17 hours! That`s why I constantly find myself behind the stick xD

S!

RvH

the desktop going back to 1024x768

Head for Workshops. I think it's the left-bottom option. If you switch it, desktop itself won't be changing resolution but menu and CM will be shown with lots of black background.

---

There are broken birds scattered over

The white cliffs of Dover

post-21726-1173302147_thumb.jpg

---

LOL. My longest surviving pilot survives manly by spending a month in hospital after each flight :rofl: Started January 1916 - it is May now. 4 crashes. Once failed to pull out of long dive :doh: Once ran out of fuel right in the middle of scramble dogfight (8 Nieups tried to level our airfield). Once.. erm.. released the stick during take off :blush: E.III doesn't climb - it just goes 'OK, one more meter and that's final' I wonder for how long tis lucky streak will continue... this pilot doesn't even have kill claims :grin:

---

Now he has claims. 6. In one mission. Scramble of our E.III flight against a swarm of Dh.2. I didn't even get a scratch - wing was shot once by friendly fire from the ground. 25 minutes of low level dogfight. My arm hurts! My brain hurts too! But it was fun...

How fast are claims processed in-game?

Use Auto Trim Level, I always do that, CTRL+A :D

Also, if you are flying the Nieuport 17, check out CTRL+C , you are in for a nice and pleasant surprise :biggrin:

On my German Alb D.II pilot I have survived 3 hours now, have 39 claims and 9 confirmed

On my French Escadrille Lafayette Nieuport 17 (Owh I just love the silver Nieuport 17!!!) I have about 2 hours and 7 confirmed and 29 Claims.

S!

RvH

OFF Phase 2 is okay, but it suffers from some real problems most of which are the result of using CFS3 as a base, not the excellent work of the modders:

1. I'm getting the hang on exit bug now.

2. Medium distance model is poor; the AI aircraft are shooting at you long before you can see them; especially head-on.

3. Using time warp results in serious graphic anomalies so you have to fly all the way to the target which gets boring.

4. The AI really stinks; worse than First Eagles, all they ever seem to do is go into a diving turn and pull out at ground level or do a hammerhead stall.

5. The two seaters are inoperable; they fly so fast you can't catch them no matter what you are flying; plus the rear gunners are far too accurate. This is a real problem considering how numerous two-seaters were in the Great Air War.

6. Skins aren't working right yet.

7. Some of the plane models look poor, for example the Se5a wings are flat.

Unfortunately none of these serious issues can be addressed due to the base game they are using. The gameplay suffers as a result.

Edward

OFF Phase 2 is okay, but it suffers from some real problems most of which are the result of using CFS3 as a base, not the excellent work of the modders:

1. I'm getting the hang on exit bug now.

2. Medium distance model is poor; the AI aircraft are shooting at you long before you can see them; especially head-on.

3. Using time warp results in serious graphic anomalies so you have to fly all the way to the target which gets boring.

4. The AI really stinks; worse than First Eagles, all they ever seem to do is go into a diving turn and pull out at ground level or do a hammerhead stall.

5. The two seaters are inoperable; they fly so fast you can't catch them no matter what you are flying; plus the rear gunners are far too accurate. This is a real problem considering how numerous two-seaters were in the Great Air War.

6. Skins aren't working right yet.

7. Some of the plane models look poor, for example the Se5a wings are flat.

Unfortunately none of these serious issues can be addressed due to the base game they are using. The gameplay suffers as a result.

Edward

Hi Edward

1: Theres a fix by Pol in a stickie on SOH forum on how to get the Hang on Exit Bug removed, Stickie has same name as the issue itself. Also you should try running CFS3 before you run OFF. Seems to help for quite alot of people.

2: Yeah, They are shooting at you long before you can see them, but I think, contrary to FE, that`s better then not shooting you at all (Not throwing any bad words on TK here!!). Besides, You can always take evasive maneuvers, heres one trick: Climb above them before they get within 1000 yards during the head-on., Another one is to simply turn 90 degree away from them and climb at the same time, if they are too close. Sometimes you will end up in a bad situation, so, remember, Height is precious drops of life, Always climb higher then your enemy, make them go lower then you, hit them one by one and always make sure you have your 6 clear.

3: I have never seen those graphic anomalies, but if you adress them at SIMHQ forum or Sim OutHouse forum, atleast OFF Team knows about it.

4: I never seen that before either, When I fight the AI they do hard turns, Split S`s, Loops, just about anything in the aerobatic book. Unless they are damaged. Also I recommend Hard Flight Model. Which is actually alot better because now you can do hang on prop with D7`s, breathtaking stall turns. And more! :)

5: Yeah that issue is being worked on. I have same problem.

6: Because not all of them are released yet, but if you take a look at the Official OFF site, you will see they have released 4 patches, of which the first one, or the second one, i cant remember actually, solves the Quick Fight skin selection problem, also, in the Workshop, you can disable the warnings, OFF Team was fully aware of not all the skins being available even before they released the mod, but they will release more skins underway. So rest assured, you are not alone :)

7: There is a stickie in the SOH forum, where you will definitly see a fix to activate 2048 Hi Rez for skins. I really recommend you: Check that out! :D I too saw some weird model/skin problems even after I activated the Hi Res, Polovski suggests either bad Skin core file download, or GFX problem. I never had that problem again when I tried Refly.

Also, better Models are under progress, as well as flight models and damage models.

I hope I didn`t offend you in either of theese points. If I wrote something weird like, you will notice (Some kinnda obvious thing.)

Rest assured, OFF suffers from some base issues indeed. But unless they are unsolveable like some of the points you mentioned, point 1, 2, 3 (Which only you seem to be having, and am sorry to hear that you do :( .), I can guarantee they are being worked on as we speak :) Thx for reading. Considered participating the 60thSqn Missions yet? They will further immerse you into the World of OFF. And would be honoured having you there :)

S!

RvH

Sorry about that post before edwards, the Nieuport 17 trick, I meant Shift+C . My bad :(

S!

RvH

Edited by Red Von Hammer

Or, to put the issue about bad AI to a more deeper perspective, here`s what Polovski said over at SOH earlier today:

"AI is completely variable on each machine. XML editing has little noticeable effect on them. Some people find they are great, some thing they are bad. AI do not circle and crash on my machine, but during testing they did with very low power craft unless they are tweaked - hence the months of testing and tweaking."

S!

RvH

My best results so far... :blink:

post-21726-1173458761_thumb.jpg

Notice 'Died in line of combat' somewhere in the log... Voodoo?

---

Flew a night mission... Got shredded by N.11 and had to land on a field again.. I wonder, when I should expect new planes to show up.

---

Seems, I start to get the hang of the Eindecker.. downed a Strutter. Was hit pretty hard myself but nothing worth crashing. And got promoted... I love this sim! Met.Office says we're in for some bad weather. Spooky...

In OFF, you do atleast 1 mission every day ( Depending on the workshop settings.) So when You play OFF, you fight every single day from the month you start, till the armistice.

S!

RvH

There's a new patch out there... 39Mb this time.

Yet a new patch :D 41 mb this time. Adresses some of the Airfield issues (German soldiers in British airfields far behind allied lines and such problems.)

S!

RvH

Its a lot better than phase 1, RB3, FCJ, etc. Great fun! I even put down IL2, PF for this one. :good:

Wow! Have they modeled random engine failures into the game too? :crazy:

Did you accidentally move the mixture all the way back? I find that's an effective way to cut the engine, which definitely comes in handy after landing. Nothing like making a perfect 3 pointer and running into a tree to make you eat some humble pie.

I had some sort of random engine failure just after take off, I remembered the rules and did'nt try to turn back but found and inviting field to land in.

Would have been alright if some idiot had'nt parked a hay wagon in the middle of it. Result? 14 days in hospital!!!