Sign in to follow this  
Redddevil911

Tornado Weapons Question

My question is this, the Tornado has a cluster bomb system that is mounted to the center line station and shoots the bomblets from the sides, as I recalled it was used to litter runways! Has this been done in WOE before? I wish i could give more information but thats all i know about it.

Edited by Redddevil911

These weapons were the MW-1 for use with German Tornados (used by pair under fuselage, the one you're interested in, shooting sideways) and the Hunting JP-233 for British and Saudi Tornados (used by pair under fuselage too, shooting forward and backward).

While the JP-233 was mostly an anti-runway system, the MW-1 was designed to be more modular.

Only the JP-233 saw active service during the 1991 Gulf War in British and Saudi service.

More information can probably gathered on the net, I didn't bother to search.

To my knowledge none of these weapons exists for the SF series.

While the JP-233 was mostly an anti-runway system, the MW-1 was designed to be more modular.

Only the JP-233 saw active service during the 1991 Gulf War in British and Saudi service.

& the weapons release parameters in a modern air defence environment proved to be "interesting" for the crew.

Pretty much replaced by standoff attack weapons.

If by "interesting" you mean "exposed them to a ton of ADA and SAMs that resulted in unfortunate losses"...

afaik they only lost 1 aircraft over the target in attacking airfields but I do believe that the bill for dry cleaning Gsuits was huge ... :tongue:

Well, BUFF is right, there only was one loss due to the use of a JP-233 during the 1991 Gulf War.

The delivery method meant the Tornado must fly low, at moderate speed in the axis of the runway (too slow and you're a sitting duck, too fast and the munitions wouldn't disperse optimally), which was a tad suicidal.

Most (if not all) JP-233 missions were flown at night making it a tad safer, but pilots didn't like the fact that exploding submunitions illuminated their planes and offered a nice bright target to shoot at.

In the context it was designed for (against Warsaw Pact airfield), it is doubtful that any Tornado would have made it home, it worked in Iraq because the defenses and the training of Iraqi troops were poor.

In a simulator it makes for some VERY interesting and exciting missions.

Edited by Gunrunner

I did it several times in DI's Tornado sim...15 years ago now!! I can't believe it was that long ago! :swoon:

I did it several times in DI's Tornado sim...15 years ago now!! I can't believe it was that long ago! :swoon:

I remember Tornado! Those anti-runway missions were simply annoying almost suicidal :cool: . I would leave it to the AI since they never get shot at. Too bad cant run it well on a current pc..i miss that sim

afaik they only lost 1 aircraft over the target in attacking airfields but I do believe that the bill for dry cleaning Gsuits was huge ... :tongue:

:rofl: Great balls of fire... :biggrin: