Sign in to follow this  
atoll1

F-16 thunderbirds and original experimental

I hope I'm not out of line if I place a request here for a *high resolution* Thunderbirds skin for the new F-16 models? Also, I don't know the designation, but the very first experimental model of the F-16 (XF-16?) had a red, white and blue skin (see attached image) - can't seem to locate this anywhere in the downloads here. Thanks :yes:

post-7171-1174415236_thumb.jpg

Well that answers my question in why there was a gap between the F-16 and the F-18. Was wondering what had ever happened to the F-17. Didn't know it was originally going to be the Hornet its self. Just goes to show my limited knowledge on military aircraft. BTW... was there ever an F-10, F-11, F-12, and F-13? I know there is a mystery about the gap between F-18 and F-22 as well.

Guest Sony Tuckson

well, the second message here isn't totally correct

It was not only the YF-16 that got that red/white /blue scheme

FSD(Fulll scale developpment) #1 serial 750745 also wore this very scheme, and it was considered as and F-16, not a YF-16 anymore....only a few details help to see it different from real F-16A block 1

A Thunderbirds skin might come later, when the proper initial block they used comes to a release (Block 15), since up to now, this model isn't avbl.

7201567 was indeed the firrst of two YF-16 and it's quite different in shapes on several spots.....so no skin for this one

F-20 was the renamed F-5G. The F-21 was a small batch of Israeli Kfirs on loan for DACT out at Nellis.

Planes such as the F-11 did in fact exist, but no one really knew them by that name. They were by and large 50's planes such as the F11F or F5U that were given new designations with the 1962 reorganization that occurred when McNamara got pissed off that the USAF came in talking about their new F-110 and he later found out it was the SAME plane as the USN's F4H!

Here's a quick list:

F-10 -> F3D Skynight

F-11 -> F11F Tiger

F-12 -> Actually the YF-12, it was an interceptor based on the A-12 used by the CIA, the early production variant of the SR-71 : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_YF-12

F-13 -> pilots are a superstitious lot. Who'd fly an F-13?

As for the YF-17, it was a very different animal from the F/A-18A that came from it. There's at least one picture out there of the 2 parked next to each other. The 17 was as noticeably smaller than the Hornet than the Hornet is when next to a Super Hornet.

I'd love to see a Super Hornet next to the 17. :grin:

As you can see here: http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0145a.shtml

http://airpower.callihan.cc/images/xyplane...2WMF-YF17-6.jpg

the YF-17 differed quite a bit from the Hornet we know now.

Interesting thing about the 2nd pic, from the Western Museum of Flight in Hawthorne, CA, is it's sitting next to one of the 2 YF-23 prototypes.

Hi Guys, i quote Jedi Master

We can't say that the YF-17 became the F/A18 Hornet Tout Court, in fact only the general architetture and the aerodynamic developement seems the same, in origin the YF-17 like the Y-F16 were simple light agile combat aircraft tought to Dogfighting with the Mig's met in SEA. Menwile the F/A18 is bigger much complex and last but not least a Navy fighter with all this mean for the frame as you know.

You all know that at short distance the U.S. Pilots got many problems to shot down the Mig17/19/21 small and agile frame(try to shot down a Mig-17 with a F-4 shoothing with the gun).

Only the Crusader was able tho be the winner in 1/1 combat challenge.

So the YF-17 was substantially a super F-5 with much longer radius and a completely new aerodynamic shape to made of her a better dogfighter.

After all they were Northrop both....

I hope you'll be able to understand my "spaghetti" english

P.S. It's particulariy interesting the Iranian Saeqeh frame that recovery the original Philosophy doing a super F-5 near to the YF-17 concept!!!