Sign in to follow this  
kazamashin

Per Mesh Decal Limit =4 ?

Trying to add some decals to my custom skin and discovered when i had more than 3 different decals on a single mesh that part of the plane started turning transparent.

Thirdwire decal notes indicate the following:

There is a max limit of 4 decals that you can apply to any single mesh. (ie, 4 decals max per fuselage, 4 per nose, etc, etc).

Any ideas ?

I was wondering the same thing myself. I know that I've got four entries/mesh, but some are just reversed, so only two original TGA's.

can a fifth entry/third TGA be added safely?

(tha'd be cool...)

I was wondering the same thing myself. I know that I've got four entries/mesh, but some are just reversed, so only two original TGA's.

can a fifth entry/third TGA be added safely?

(tha'd be cool...)

Like it said only 4 per mesh and that is it.

Like it said only 4 per mesh and that is it.

Hi USAFMTL

I notice on some meshes like the F-4's fuselage mesh i can have up to six decals, 3+3 reversed. On other meshes such as the vertical tail i can only manage a 2+2 reverse. This decal thing is making me dizzy :sorry:

I notice on some meshes like the F-4's fuselage mesh i can have up to six decals, 3+3 reversed. On other meshes such as the vertical tail i can only manage a 2+2 reverse. This decal thing is making me dizzy :sorry:

By "3+3 reversed" you mean three on the left side and the same three on the right side?

And which F-4 do you mean? IIRC WoE's F-4F has the intakes as separate meshes, which is a good thing, because you can put more decals on the plane.

Anyway, I guess the limit is three decals on a mesh and not four. (Or maybe it is really four, but one is reserved for the damage .tgas?)

Hi USAFMTL

4 is the golden rule, look again and you will see it is less than that. Trust me I have done well of 2000 decals for the series. If you have one decal and you reversed it on the other side its still only one decal.

By "3+3 reversed" you mean three on the left side and the same three on the right side?

And which F-4 do you mean? IIRC WoE's F-4F has the intakes as separate meshes, which is a good thing, because you can put more decals on the plane.

Anyway, I guess the limit is three decals on a mesh and not four. (Or maybe it is really four, but one is reserved for the damage .tgas?)

Hi

Yes, i have 3 decals on the left and the same 3 on the right. I am using the stock F-4J. I am now trying the air intake mesh.

4 is the golden rule, look again and you will see it is less than that. Trust me I have done well of 2000 decals for the series. If you have one decal and you reversed it on the other side its still only one decal.

I see. Wish we had more slots for decals. Gotta find another way round i guess.

Edited by kazamashin

Use larger/multi purpose decals. (ie: like I did on the RAF mustangs, right and left side, with squadron letters/roundel/aircraft letter. like: GA o A as one) In that case, you need to make one for each side (r & l), and have them set to level=2

For a Navy/MC bird for example, you'd have the squadron tail code and aircraft number as one. Something like:

YZ

Also, it seem lately that only 2 per mesh seem to work. Now, mind you, this seem to be the WW2 birds in WoE.

I do think something has changed since the last patch

Of course, in some cases in just easier to paint them directly on the skin involved. Expecially works well with the loviz types.

ot: hey Dave! how you doing?? Everything ok?

I know all about surgeries...have been sliced open twice in the last few years (groin hernia and naval hernia). take it easy, and get healed soon!

Wrench

Kevin Stein

I use one large decal for the entire mesh....for example, on my Phantoms the fuselage has a decal that goes from the intake all the way to the engine nozzle and that includes the national insignia squadron marking and branch name. I make two of those, one for each side...usually named xxxSDL or xxxSDR....cause if you just mirror the one large decal, everything is backwards. I do the same for the nose.

If you look at my Furies, you will notice I use one decal stretching the length of the entire aircraft from nose to tail. Decals are pretty easy once you get the principal of them. I used to paint everything on to the bmps when I first started, now my skins are almost 90% decal...some are even 100%.