Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

We what we do for Vietnam War USAF POWs

Wasn't sure if this goes into The Pub or here.

I don't know how many of you guys know this, but we do something for Vietnam War POWs that were flying for the USAF at the time. Basically, the idea is that we don't want the last flight they had in the USAF to be the flight they got shot down in.

So 34 years ago, we started giving 'Fini Flights' to repatriated POWs in T-38s at Randolph AFB. It's turned into a ceremony, with a wreath at the 'Forget Me Not' memorial, a missing man flyby (of which the ex-POW was actually in) and later on that afternoon, a 'pass in review' of various USAF aircraft...usually everything from T-37s to C-5s. Some more info:

http://www.randolph.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123045400

I was scheduled for the flyby's (both of them...missing man and composite for the evening), but got rained out this year...:|.

So I couldn't get airborne photos this year, however, I took some interesting photos of the heritage portion of the squadron.

The main hall of freedom flyers. The photos are of completed fini flights, in front of the T-38 he was flown in, with the ex-POW usually getting soaked by a bottle of champagne.

mainhallgb6.th.jpg

Right side of the hall, including a map of Vietnam with markers showing location, date, and number (associated with a specific POW name)of downed aircrew.

viethallkr5.th.jpg

Left side of the hall, with a large painting of a T-38A.

t38sidexq4.th.jpg

Statue of Rob Risner - Senior Ranking Officer (SRO) of the 'Hanoi Hilton' from Sept 1965 until repatriation.

rruq1.th.jpg

We have a POW/MIA room dedicated to the those Vietnam POWs - picture of the left side of the room:

powrm1lm1.th.jpg

Close up of the display cabinet:

powrm4do8.th.jpg

Right side of the POW/MIA room:

powrm2kd4.th.jpg

Close up of the display cabinet:

powrm3es1.th.jpg

I thought that this ceremony and flights were a unique way to honor those men who sacrificed and suffered so much.

FastCargo

Hey FC that is a good post. I am sure there are a lot of people who do not know we do that for our honored POW's. Thank you for sharing.

God bless you guys.What a great idea :good:

That's really rather cool.

man that is the stuff...Thanks!

I'm surprised it's kept rather quiet...although again I think of people complaining about the cost that could be incurred by these "free" flights and I'm not.