Sign in to follow this  
SayethWhaaaa

Can someone explain to me...?

...what a COFFIN/non COFFIN aircraft is? I'm guessing it has something to do cockpit ergonomics, or maybe even the manoeuvrability of an aircraft and how it relates to the pilot? I'm not sure... very confused though. Lil' help? :dntknw:

...what a COFFIN/non COFFIN aircraft is? I'm guessing it has something to do cockpit ergonomics, or maybe even the manoeuvrability of an aircraft and how it relates to the pilot? I'm not sure... very confused though. Lil' help? :dntknw:

Are you sure you're not talking about the 'coffin corner'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffin_corner_(aviation)

FastCargo

Here's the term in context. I was browsing the Ace Combat X entry in wiki when I came across the following passage:

The game is only semi-realistic in the sense that the abilities of the airplanes are greatly exaggerated. Some of the most noticeable characteristics are:

-Some airplanes can carry up to 98 missiles

-The afterburner has no limit in usage

-A weapon known as the Tactical Laser System is employed as the ADF-01 Falken's primary weapon.

-The pilot does not seem to be affected by high-G manouveres,even in non-COFFIN aircraft.

-The pilot does not seem to be affected by high-G manouveres,even in non-COFFIN aircraft.

You sure that's not some Ace Combat term (ie like the names of the fictional fighters, countries, etc).

The only time I've heard of the term 'coffin' in reference to an aircraft is the 'coffin corner' or refering to a particularly dangerous aircraft, a 'flying coffin'.

FastCargo

PS Oh wait, just found this reference:

"All of the planes in the game (with the exception of one tanker) have an operation system called "Connection For Flight Interface" COFFIN system."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Combat_3

Gotta love the internet!

Edited by FastCargo

Cheers dude, you're a champ! I was thinking it may be an accronym, but I'd heard of the coffin corner and it confused the hell outta me. I'm still confused, just not completely :tongue:

Could it potentially be a plane with an angled seat like the F-16 or Su-47? Looks like you're laying down in a coffin?