Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sony Tuckson

Max deploy speed

Guest Sony Tuckson

Landing gear and flaps are restricted in their function by speed, which is simply to avoid overstressing them...

but in sfp1, those values look real low to me (I mean, not able to lower gear or flaps at 200 knots, because it's too fast looks real strange to me), I think max deploy speed for gear should be somewhat higher...

I tried the maxdeployspeed parameter without success , shouldit be placed in a specifc order in the flaps related or gear related sections of the data.ini file?

or is there a value elswhere that defines this max deploy speed?

Excellent question that would help out many of us. Good deal. Now let's hope someone can answer that. :D

Guest Sony Tuckson

yeah

guess why I asked? :wink:

BTW, I kile your signature, it will reply many questions and dynamically :lol:

Guest Sony Tuckson

Furthermore, since everyone seems to be interrested in this issue, I found that this maxdeployspeed doesn't work in anyway

In draken, it's set at 250 knots, and gera drops down at 400 knots without problem (try this in a real plane, and you'll have some nasty surprise :wink: )

in prowler, I set it a 280 knots and it won't lower at speed higher than 180 knots, which seem rather low to me

Please help us and explain where this deploy speed value is set :!:

Guest Sony Tuckson

thanks for the info about units used

was so logical to think in knots as speeds are expressed...

do you know pilots expressing their speed in m/s in any fighter ?

let's say it's really not standard, but now I can work something out

thanks a lot AD

180 Knots is standard on almost all aircraft.....from a Learjet to a 747. Although the gear may be able to handle higher airspeeds, it's the spar that it's attached to that doesn't need the radial stress loads over time. There are also things like gear doors that are not manufactured aerodynamically or structurally to take the stress at higher airspeeds. Besides....the real question is "Why do you need them at higher speeds".. and the answer is "you don't".

Flaps are the same way the are used for landing...not making a tighter turn. If you want to make a tighter turn...slow down. Air combat is all about who has the most energy. Flaps deplete that energy incredibly quick. They are generally not designed to take the structural loads either. Remember that at 200 Kts, your exerting hundreds of pounds per square inch on the control surface, which is hinged and when that force gets multiplied by x-factor at the fulcrum (hinge bolts), I would just hate to have my flaps depart the aircraft and destroy a more important control surface..."Elevator"

Cheers

Fates

"I am not a military pilot....but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night."

was so logical to think in knots as speeds are expressed...

Not so logical for a simulation engine where everything else is done in meters. :)

cheers

Guest Sony Tuckson

Indeed

but as the saying goes, "old habits die hard" :lol:

If I remember correctly, speed is indicated using the metric system in Soviet A/C.

Cheers

SleepySweeper

Guest Sony Tuckson

yes, but to be honest I only work with pilots from the West :wink:

The reason it's in meters is probably because it's easier to use SI-units when computing the physics of the plane. The ini-files are not designed for the pilot... that's what we have the cockpit for :D :D

Guest Sony Tuckson

oh yes a great help, at least concerning values to get

Andy B speaks about 250 knots for the F-4, which is indeed a value I expected.....

translated in m/s it gives +/- 128

will test with that value, which will be "shared" by many fighters I think, differences in those value are not great and playing between 220 and 275 knots will give something close to reality for many fighters

some airframes can lower their gear at higher speeds though...I had a boss who flew the -101B and they had to get the gear up shortly after rotation, but say the E-3 can lower its gear at least up to 400

Guest Saganuay82

Holy moses Sparky, hauling things out of the past...........

My god 2003!

Yep...but I was using the "search" button to try to correct this...Not all airplanes have the 250 limit

Guest Sony Tuckson

hehe

well, always nice to know more about those "practcal" details for sure

my only real experience with those elements is for F-16 and "conventinal" fighters from late 80's early 90's

eh, I had a boss who flew the double ugly, the WB-57, and F-101B (plus some other stuff like C-123 back when the USAF let dudes fly many different types over the course of their career, even the non-test dudes)...he recanted how the F-101B was so fast that as you rotated you bumped the gear handle because she would peel her own gear doors off soon after that...

then you have a beast like the -135 family whose gear speed (to include doors) are stressed higher than the max speed of the airframe...of course that was the old Boeing...who still remembered making B-17's...