Sign in to follow this  
Fates

Call of Duty 4 HD Trailer

CoD was never known for that in its MP, really.

For the most realistic WWII FPS MP action, you have 3 choices:

Day of Defeat (never played it myself)

Red Orchestra

Hidden and Dangerous 2 (good like finding anyone playing this one, though it's my favorite)

Wasn't wwiionoline more of a RTS then an FPS?

Wasn't wwiionoline more of a RTS then an FPS?

I've heard about it..but never played it.I don't like"pay to play"games.

It was an FPS if you were infantry, but because it was an MMO/RPG (only mildly) there were many limitations to it that I didn't care for.

There is a two-week free trial. I used it :biggrin:

Action part reminds of Operation Flashpoint a LOT. Same feeling of well.. being cannon fodder.. But urban fighting at dawn in a bombed village with aircraft buzzing above is great.. And then you get a rifle round in the eye and start pushing up the daisies which are plentiful there.

There's also some kind of resource system which makes sieges possible. I remember one small town where all but trucks and rifle infantry spawns were expended so every single tank and AT gun was such a great value that guys dragged the gun into a bombed building every time a plane was approaching. Actually it was after that episode that I realised that limitations of weapons available to a certain rank are perfectly justified. Newbies would all hop into Tigers and Shermans and grab sniper rifles and drive Destroyers into the sea - and be dead with all the valuable equipment in less than a minute. Wasteful.

And the huge seamless map is great... I took off at a German airfield, flew without interruptions all the way to front line at dawn, scared the oil out of a sleepy Spitfire and hit him hard, though not downed. Then got shot by the flak pretty hard, legs wounded - decided to return to friendly lines, lowered gear too early, lost it, jammed flaps, crash landed onto a field (don't land in the forest EVER). Despawned and returned to base..

I saw G4s coverage of the E3 show and they were showing some CoD 4 stuff while interviewing the head of dev. I gotta say, it didn't impress me much. I was really excited to play the game until I saw that footage. It just looked kinda messy and arcady....I prefer more of a tactical approach, otherwise I would stick to UT

This is one title that has me torn between two formats and its happening more and more these days. I think in the end I'll go for the Xbox 360 version for the hassle free multiplayer and voice comms and not having to tinker with settings which is likely with the PC version. I think it will be more like the other CoD series than perhaps the likes of OFP or Armed Assualt.

I played WWII Online for a few years since the closed BETA, closed my account on and off over the years as it just got frustrating. You can play first person style as a soldier, drive vehicles such as trucks, tanks and armoured cars as well as tow artillery pieces and you can also fly a multitude of WWII aircraft. In years gone by the graphics were passable but now they look really dated despite the enhancements made to the terrain and buildings in recent versions. As a WWII sim fan the airwar was frustrating and still is. Massive drops in FPS over towns and cities where I could go from over 100FPS and drop down to single digits. Its a grand project on a huge scale but they desperately need the new graphics engine they have been touting for years.