Sign in to follow this  
BigRed

Blood for Oil part Two

Well now on to other issues. Ran the first few missions inthe campaign and noticed these issues:

1. Flying off carrier with VF-111. Carrier did not show up (I took off on top of the water :dntknw: ) and the wingman answered all Radio Calls but just sat there.

2. While flying BAF F-16 Blk 15, flew armed recce mission. Encountered Indian Sea harriers as red air CAP and shot them down. Encountered Mig-29 two ship and pulled in behind them, locked them up and observed no reaction??

3. same mission as above and went to externial view and observed several Mig-29s attemping to take off (or land?) and stuck in dirt (runway was right beside them).

4. Tried to load a different skin for BAF F-16 (323 SQ) didn't seem to take. What did I do wrong?

Anybody with clues to these issues?

Thanks

Big Red

Well now on to other issues. Ran the first few missions inthe campaign and noticed these issues:

1. Flying off carrier with VF-111. Carrier did not show up (I took off on top of the water :dntknw: ) and the wingman answered all Radio Calls but just sat there.

2. While flying BAF F-16 Blk 15, flew armed recce mission. Encountered Indian Sea harriers as red air CAP and shot them down. Encountered Mig-29 two ship and pulled in behind them, locked them up and observed no reaction??

3. same mission as above and went to externial view and observed several Mig-29s attemping to take off (or land?) and stuck in dirt (runway was right beside them).

4. Tried to load a different skin for BAF F-16 (323 SQ) didn't seem to take. What did I do wrong?

Anybody with clues to these issues?

Thanks

Big Red

1. Having just added 3 carriers to the stock campaign, check for these issues:

A) Make sure the carrier model referenced exists in FULL in either the Objectdata.cat file or exists as a directory in the Objects/GroundObject folder.

B) Make sure in the "Campaign Name"_DATA.ini file there exists a [CarrierUnitxxx] entry for the carrier you want to reference

C) Make sure in the "Terrain Name "_TARGETS.ini file there is a [TargetAreaxxx] entry for the carrier.

D) Check there is an entry referenced in the "Terrain Name"_NATIONS.ini file for the area name the carrier is in.

E) Make sure the actual aircraft references the carrier properly.

As an example, for the stock 1979 WOE campaign, here what I did to add the OV-10A to fly off the LHA-1.

----------------------------------Steps to add a carrier------------------------------------------------------------------

Adding the LHA-1 (USS Tarawa) to the GroundObject directory...laid out like this:

X:\"Your SFP1 Directory"\Objects\GroundObject\LHA-1

Within the LHA-1 directory, my files are:

LHA-1-1.OUT

LHA-1-2.LOD

LHA-1-3.LOD

LHA-1-4.LOD

LHA-1.INI

LHA-1.LOD

LHA-1_DATA.INI

USMCGrey <--- Subdirectory with the textures...like an aircraft directory.

I made a custom entry in the LHA-1.INI file for the textures:

[TextureSet001]

Directory=USMCGrey

Name=USMC Grey

Nation=USMC

Specular=0.500000

Glossiness=0.750000

Reflection=0.000000

I don't know if it's necessary, but it helped me layout my groundobject textures to make sense.

--------------------------------------------Steps to add an entry to the "Terrain Name"_NATIONS.ini file-------------------------------

For the GERMANYCE_NATIONS.INI file, I added an entry:

[Theater]

TheaterName=Central Europe

Location001=West Germany

Location002=East Germany

Location003=Poland

Location004=Czechoslovakia

Location005=Austria

Location006=East Berlin

Location007=Netherlands

Location008=France

Location009=Belgium

Location010=Denmark

Location011=Luxembourg

Location012=West Berlin

Location013=North Sea <--------- Added by me!

Note the Location number...you will need to know this later (mainly for just something to put on the screen).

---------------------------------Steps to add a location for the carrier in the "Terrain Name "_TARGETS.ini file------------------------------------------------

This is what I added in the GERMANYCE_TARGETS.INI file to put the carrier in (all added by me):

[TargetArea338] <----- Number must be next number in sequence in "Terrain Name "_TARGETS.ini file

Name=Charlie Station <---- Name can be anything you want - VERY important

Position=310000,825000 <----- This is VERY important

Radius=5657

ActiveYear=0

Location=13 <----- Matches number noted in "Terrain Name"_NATIONS.ini file (this tells my carrier that it's stationed in the North Sea...it's only a name)

Alignment=FRIENDLY

CarrierStation=TRUE

Use Kreelin's Mission editor to open up the terrain file. Simply move the crosshairs (with your mouse) and note the coordinate numbers scrolling around at the bottom of the editor. Those numbers are what you will plug into the 'Position=' line in the above entry.

Think of entry as a making a 'location' called 'Charlie Station' where you want the carrier to be...it's a general area the carrier roams in.

---------------------------------Steps to add your carrier to the campaign file "Campaign Name"_DATA.ini------------------------------------

This is what I did to add the LHA-1 to the WOECAMP2_DATA.INI file:

[CarrierUnit004] <----- Must be next number...if no carriers exist, then you can start with 001...I put my entry after the [GroundUnitXXX] entries

CarrierType=LHA-1<----- Name of the carrier (must match the directory entry of the carrier and the .ini file, in this case, LHA-1.INI file located in the LHA-1 directory

CarrierNumber=10 <----- As far as I can tell, can be any number as long as it doesn't match any other carrier number in the "Campaign Name"_DATA.ini file...important to remember this entry!

UnitName=USS Tarawa LHA-110 <----- What you want to call it

ForceID=1 <-------- similar to aircraft entries (noted at top of "Campaign Name"_DATA.ini file matches [Forcexxx] entry)

Nation=USMC <----- I think this needs to match a similar entry in the aircraft entry in the "Campaign Name"_DATA.ini file in this case my OV-10A

BaseArea=Charlie Station <----- IMPORTANT! Must match the 'location' you want the carrier to be in.

NumSquadron=5

BaseSize=MEDIUM <---- should make it MEDIUM...most aircraft require this size base

Experience=100

Morale=100

Supply=100

----------------------------------To add your aircraft to that carrier - still in the "Campaign Name"_DATA.ini file-------------------------------

Still within the WOECAMP2_DATA.INI file, go to your aircraft, in my case, the OV-10A

[AirUnitxxx]

AircraftType=OV-10A

Squadron=VMO6

UnitName=VMO-6

ForceID=1

Nation=USMC <-------- Important...needs to match the same entry in the [CarrierUnitxxx] line

StartDate=09/22/1979

DefaultTexture=VMO6

BaseArea=Charlie Station <-------- Important...needs to match the same entry in the [CarrierUnitxxx] line

CarrierBased=TRUE <----- Added...

CarrierNumber=10 <----- Added...needs to match the same entry in the [CarrierUnitxxx] line

.....(rest of entry truncated)...

Looks complicated, but really isn't. I've been able to add four carriers and several squadrons from the the USMC, USN, and Royal Navy to the campaign...

Use this as a checklist to make sure your carrier ops are configured correctly.

Good luck!

FastCargo

Your question number 2 could be attributed to flaky AI...even with the Uber AI mod, I see some occasional strangeness.

Question 3, I'm not sure.

Question 4, check for a TextureSet.ini file within the texture subdirectory in your F-16 aircraft directory.

Example for my F-16 Block 1:

My aircraft directory is: X:\"Your SFP1 Directory"\Objects\Aircraft\F-16A_Blk1

In that directory is a F-16A_Blk1.ini file.

In that file there should be an entry:

[TextureSetxxx]

Directory=Fuujins2 <------ Important!

Name=FightinFuujins2

Nation=usaf

Squadron=4TFS

Specular=0.200000

Glossiness=0.200000

Reflection=0.150000

Within your X:\"Your SFP1 Directory"\Objects\Aircraft\F-16A_Blk1 directory there should be a subdirectory (or several) with your textures. For me it's:

X:\"Your SFP1 Directory"\Objects\Aircraft\F-16A_Blk1\Fuujins2

That subdirectory should have a TextureSet.ini file...and that file should read this:

[TextureSet]

Name=FightinFuujins2

Nation=usaf

Squadron=4TFS

Specular=0.200000

Glossiness=0.200000

Reflection=0.150000

Note, it reads EXACTLY like 6 of the 7 lines in the coorsponding [TextureSetxxx] entry in the F-16A_Blk1.ini. Now, you shouldn't need to add this entry to the F-16A_Blk1.ini file in the first place, if the texture subdirectory has a properly configured TextureSet.ini file. The engine will add it automatically the first time the aircraft is referenced.

FastCargo

Your question number 2 could be attributed to flaky AI...even with the Uber AI mod, I see some occasional strangeness.

Question 3, I'm not sure.

Question 4, check for a TextureSet.ini file within the texture subdirectory in your F-16 aircraft directory.

Example for my F-16 Block 1:

My aircraft directory is: X:\"Your SFP1 Directory"\Objects\Aircraft\F-16A_Blk1

In that directory is a F-16A_Blk1.ini file.

In that file there should be an entry:

[TextureSetxxx]

Directory=Fuujins2 <------ Important!

Name=FightinFuujins2

Nation=usaf

Squadron=4TFS

Specular=0.200000

Glossiness=0.200000

Reflection=0.150000

Within your X:\"Your SFP1 Directory"\Objects\Aircraft\F-16A_Blk1 directory there should be a subdirectory (or several) with your textures. For me it's:

X:\"Your SFP1 Directory"\Objects\Aircraft\F-16A_Blk1\Fuujins2

That subdirectory should have a TextureSet.ini file...and that file should read this:

[TextureSet]

Name=FightinFuujins2

Nation=usaf

Squadron=4TFS

Specular=0.200000

Glossiness=0.200000

Reflection=0.150000

Note, it reads EXACTLY like 6 of the 7 lines in the coorsponding [TextureSetxxx] entry in the F-16A_Blk1.ini. Now, you shouldn't need to add this entry to the F-16A_Blk1.ini file in the first place, if the texture subdirectory has a properly configured TextureSet.ini file. The engine will add it automatically the first time the aircraft is referenced.

FastCargo

Thanks for the info. I will try the suggestions. I've attached my SFG Folder tree. Is there anything you see there?

SFG_File_Tree.ppt

Yep, I see a few things right off the bat.

One, I noticed you have some CV-59 files outside of the CV59 directory. They may be the exact same files that are in the CV59 directory. I would suggest you put them there, but don't overwrite if they are older than the ones in the directory. Mainly this is just for house keeping...keeps the GroundObject directory logical.

Two, and I don't know how important this is, but I notice that the directory name is CV59, but the ini file name is CV-59.ini. The program will see these as two separate entries...and so may not work properly. I would suggest renaming either the directory or the CV-59.ini file. That may be where your discontinuity lies. Be aware, anything that references that will be affected...specifically, look at this entry in my previous post:

---------------------------------Steps to add your carrier to the campaign file "Campaign Name"_DATA.ini------------------------------------

"Campaign Name"_DATA.ini file

[CarrierUnitxxx]

CarrierType= <------ This entry MUST match the directory your carrier is in and the .ini file in that directory. I would rename all 3 to the same name.

I think that's the problem right there.

Your ArkRoyal entry looks okay to me. In fact, that's what I use when I added the Royal Navy F-4s to the WOE campaign.

FastCargo

That might very well explain it. I'll work on these this afternoon and post a reply back here on the outcome. Thanks again for your time in answering my question

Cheers

Big Red

Texture Set problem solved. Carrier problem not.

deleted all the files and reinstalled them. Still doesn't work. This is waht the file for CV-59 lokks like at present.

carrier_files.zip

Okay, there is one thing in that .ini file that may be a problem. The line 'Forrestal Class Carriers' needs to be commented out.

So instead of this:

[GroundObjectData]

Forrestal Class Carriers

It looks like this:

[GroundObjectData]

; Forrestal Class Carriers <----- Note the semicolon added in front. Turns it into a comment.

I'm going to put the CV-59 into my campaign just to make sure the model itself isn't screwed up.

Edit: Okay, just tested it in the campaign. It looks fine, and seems to work okay (other than snapping my gear off on my takeoff for some reason). So the model is good.

FastCargo

Edited by FastCargo

Okay, there is one thing in that .ini file that may be a problem. The line 'Forrestal Class Carriers' needs to be commented out.

So instead of this:

[GroundObjectData]

Forrestal Class Carriers

It looks like this:

[GroundObjectData]

; Forrestal Class Carriers <----- Note the semicolon added in front. Turns it into a comment.

I'm going to put the CV-59 into my campaign just to make sure the model itself isn't screwed up.

Edit: Okay, just tested it in the campaign. It looks fine, and seems to work okay (other than snapping my gear off on my takeoff for some reason). So the model is good.

FastCargo

Ok let me try that one and see if it works :) At this rate I'll take as long to fix this as it does to really build a carrier :)

Nope didn't work. Could you send me your carrier files? if so, send them to me at Warren.hudson@mchsi.com

Nope didn't work. Could you send me your carrier files? if so, send them to me at Warren.hudson@mchsi.com

I can post the ini's on here if you like. Otherwise, I just downloaded the carriers from here at Combatace. Also, I would recommend not posting your email on a bulletin board...setup for getting spammed. Send me a private message with the email instead.

FastCargo

[CarrierUnit004] <----- Must be next number...if no carriers exist, then you can start with 001...I put my entry after the [GroundUnitXXX] entries

CarrierType=LHA-1<----- Name of the carrier (must match the directory entry of the carrier and the .ini file, in this case, LHA-1.INI file located in the LHA-1 directory

CarrierNumber=10 <----- As far as I can tell, can be any number as long as it doesn't match any other carrier number in the "Campaign Name"_DATA.ini file...important to remember this entry!

UnitName=USS Tarawa LHA-110 <----- What you want to call it

ForceID=1 <-------- similar to aircraft entries (noted at top of "Campaign Name"_DATA.ini file matches [Forcexxx] entry)

Nation=USMC <----- I think this needs to match a similar entry in the aircraft entry in the "Campaign Name"_DATA.ini file in this case my OV-10A

BaseArea=Charlie Station <----- IMPORTANT! Must match the 'location' you want the carrier to be in.

NumSquadron=5

BaseSize=MEDIUM <---- should make it MEDIUM...most aircraft require this size base

Experience=100

Morale=100

Supply=100

Actually, I noticed that the NumSquadron entry MUST match squadron number in SQUADRONLIST.ini, without changing it, I couldn't fly VF-84 Tomctas in 79 WoE campaign, the game just kept sending me to 7th TFS Bunyaps flying F-15s...

Care to check it FastCargo?

I don't think it's just a coincidence.... Kept 5, F-15, modified to 122, Jolly Rogers Tomcats (as I was wishing...XD)

Is the carrier added to the terrain's ***_types.ini????

Is the carrier listed in the terrain's ***_targets.ini (at the CV station)???

Wrench

kevin stein

Actually, I noticed that the NumSquadron entry MUST match squadron number in SQUADRONLIST.ini, without changing it, I couldn't fly VF-84 Tomctas in 79 WoE campaign, the game just kept sending me to 7th TFS Bunyaps flying F-15s...

Care to check it FastCargo?

NUMSquadron=5 just means that no more than five units may be stationed aboard the carrier. It has nothing to with the SquadronList.ini

I have just a few simple questions:

Which campaign is this? The Blood for Oil campaign?

IIRC, it was released before many of the patches, so there may be some compatibility issues there... though it looks like you did update the ground_object.inis

Which version are you using? IIRC, it calls for the Desert terrain only in SFP1/SFG.

A last note, in the CV59.ini and in your folder setup (just because of my OCD), I see that you have the four different Forrestal variants in seperate folders. It might be wise to delete the TextureSet entries at the bottom and leave the one that corresponds with the skin in the individual folder.

NUMSquadron=5 just means that no more than five units may be stationed aboard the carrier. It has nothing to with the SquadronList.ini

Then how comes it all started working well (finally....) after altering numsquadron from 5 to 122???

Strange coinicidence, I think......maybe not a coincidence at all....

Guest hamvui9910

Can you send me the carrier files and tell me how to install them ?