Hello Vulkan here!

How to able I mod the A-4B canopy to delete rear canopy struts?

How to able I mod the YF-23A canopy to delete canopy struts, and mirors ?

The first question is... why would you want to??? :dntknw:

You can 'turn off' the internal cockpit view with a simple key press (I've a button on the stick set to this)

We're talking about the windshield forward frame?? or the aft sections??

You can 'move' them via edits in the cockpit ini. (hopefully, I'll remember most of this procedure, if it gets confusing, I aplolgize in advance. Perhaps one of the real guru's will step in and correct me). IIRC, this was discovered by ArmourDave several years ago.

You need to find the name of the frame, either in the cockpit lod or the cockpit out file. The out is generated by Max to list the name of all meshes. For the stock aircraft, you'll not find the out -- you'll have to extract the cockpit lod from the objects cat.

The lod, of course, is the physical model. It can be searched with a hex editor for a specific string (ie: canopyframe, or whatever). It's a hit or miss proposition, as one never knows what it's exactly called.

Once located, you'll need to cockpit ini. You create a 'new' insturment. You'll list it, just like adding a system in a data ini:

There are 2 ways to move the struts, one is to rotate it so it's not visible (this was done on the original release of the F-16A blk 10, when using the F-4J pit). Example below:

Insturment Listing:

Insturment[076]=MoveCanopyStrut

Insturment[077]=MoveFrontStrut

'New' insturments:

[MoveCanopyStrut]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=FrontFrame

MovementType=POSITION_Y

Set[01].Position=-100

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=-99

Set[02].Value=1.0

[MoveFrontStrut]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=CanopyFrame

MovementType=POSITION_Y

Set[01].Position=-100

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=-99

Set[02].Value=1.0

This rotated them out of sight

Another way is to simple 'move' them elsewhere. Lexx_Luthor did this recently to remove the fogged canopy glass on the Su-17:

Insturment:

Instrument[068]=Move1

'New' Insturment:

[Move1]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=canopy_glass

MovementType=POSITION_Y

Set[01].Position=-100

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=-99

Set[02].Value=1.0

There ya go!

Wrench

kevin stein

Vulkan here!

Thank you very mutch the competent, and detailed ansver.

The cause is i vould like modding : I would like use the most real cockpit to the L-39 Albatros, and my modded Yf-23(to F-22)

For A-4B cockpit, add the following to the cockpit.ini file...

At the bottom of the [CockpitSeat001] section...

Instrument[029]=Move1

Instrument[030]=Move2

Instrument[031]=Move3

Instrument[032]=Move4

Instrument[033]=Move5

At the bottom of the cockpit.ini file, add...

[Move1]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=sides

MovementType=POSITION_Z

Set[01].Position=-99

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=-99

Set[02].Value=1.0

This takes out much of the back area, but also some side grafix.

continuing...

[Move2]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=sight

MovementType=POSITION_Z

Set[01].Position=your choice

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=your choice

Set[02].Value=1.0

This allows you to raise or lower the sight. The Position units are in meters, I think.

[Move3]

[Move4]

etc...whatever you wish to move or experiment with. To temporarily disable a Move, make it [xMove2] for example. The mis-spelling makes the game ignore the Move.

Try this and see what happens. It may be possible to take out just the back area while the left/right cockpit sides stay. Or maybe not. The answer is found in the cockpit LOD file, but you need to download a hex editor and figure it out. Doing this gets pretty deep, but the results -- generic cockpits for just about any aircraft or helicoptor or even ground vehicle if desired is possible.

Thank You the ini. editings, I tryed some different example:

[MoveCanopyStrut]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=canopy frame

MovementType=POSITION_Y

Set[01].Position=-100

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=-99

Set[02].Value=1.0

[Move1]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=sides

MovementType=POSITION_Z

Set[01].Position=-99

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=-99

Set[02].Value=1.0

[Move2]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=sight

MovementType=POSITION_Z

Set[01].Position=-100

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=-99

Set[02].Value=1.0

But not thats happened, that I want. Maybe I take a mistake?...

You also need to do this in the cockpitseat section...

Instrument[029]=Move1

Okay fellas/fellattes. Some fun stuff. I chopped the A-4 pit, and moved it inside the L-39 model.

Front pilot, with gunsight. I don't know how the pilot aims with the canopy frame in front of him/her, so I'm just playing with the idea to show what is possible.

img00001.jpg

Front pilot, looking back. You can see the rear canopy frame, and just barely, the rear pilot.

img00003.jpg

Flying as rear pilot, with front pilot visible. I didn't add a seat, and I didn't add a gunsight AND I left the gunsight pipper on the front pilot's head -- making sure the student flies properly. :dntknw:

img00004.jpg

Rear pilot, looking back. The back cockpit wall here is the L-39 external model. It looks like the A-4 back wall. So, if you fly with full A-4 cockpit from the rear pilot seat, the back wall is realistic.

img00005.jpg

I just started a thread at ThudWire about how to do all this ~> http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4410

'Lexx_Luthor' date='May 31 2007, 03:44 AM' post='83268']

Okay fellas/fellattes. Some fun stuff. I chopped the A-4 pit, and moved it inside the L-39 model.

What tat's meanI chopped , and moved ? What ini, or Lod.? Please describe step by step!

Otherwise looks like cool. :rolleyes:

Hi vulkan...

"chop" means cut off -- we cut the canopy frame, and use the external 3D model for canopy frame.

I offered a ThudWire link above. I will be slowly developing this idea using some nice examples. Please go to the thread to ask questions. Thank You!!!

*Warning* -- this type of thing requires a few deep changes in the sim to work -- you will see when you study the ThudWire thread in detail.

ahm...

i have my own canopy problems to with my talon swithcblade.

i cant see anything far away....

what do i do so i could get a clearer canopy?

Windex????? :biggrin:

No, but seriousily, it has to do with the transparecny of the canopy tga. How you change that, I don't remember. I do remember is something in the alpha channel

Wrench

kevin stein

Shucks, even I don't know what an "alpha channel" is. :crazy:

Shin -- Here at the CombatAce, download Cellinsky's Weather Mod, and use one of his/her totally *clear* replacement HORIZONCLOUD tga files and use it in place of the hazy "glass" or something tga file in the Cockpit folder (rename the Hcloud tga to whatever the Talon "glass" tga is called) -- keep the original tga in case you want it again.

If there is no Talon "glass" tga file, the plane could be using the stock CANOPYGLASS tga file which the game reads from Object cat file (so its not needed in Cockpit folder). Put one of Cellinsky's clear tga's into the Cockpit file and rename it CANOPYGLASS. These cases take care of maybe 95% of the times this comes up. The other 5% may require more stuff, like chopping the canopy glass from the cockpit LOD file like we chop canopy frames. Sometimes (ArmourDave Su-17) eliminating the hazy "glass" eliminates some neat stuff too, in this case, the Su-17 electric canopy de-ice wiring. The trade is more than worth it.