Hi Chaps,

I am new here and this is my first post, I am in the process of modelling a BAE Hawk which I will make available in due course (I noticed alot of posts from people anxious to have a HAWK) I have the 3D model 90% complete, no skins yet and the beginnings of the Data.ini file which is where I supect my problem is, During testing of my Model I let the autopilot do the take off so i can look around the external model for any required tweaking, 1st problem, on the roll just as it gets airborne the A/C pulls to the right slightly and wanders off runway heading, 2nd problem, the AI aircraft waiting in line all blow up on the taxyway after doing an aileron roll in unison (?????) all exept for my number 2 which gets airborne with no problems apart from the same pull to the right.

Any Ideas?

Regards

Craig

p.s for the Hawk fans, I intend on making a number of Hawk variants, the one nearly complete is a T1 and next I want to make the single seat 200 series

Guest Saganuay82

Got any pics?

Sounds perhaps something to do with the suspension in your landing gear. Look for posts containing dancing aircraft. A similar problem like that has been around for awhile.

Yes now you mention it it makes sense, I did notice that the game has some trouble with orientation of the axis/pivots espetially when the objects are made with mirroring, they can look fine visually via animation but the game still thinks of them in reverse.

Havent any pics yet but i will try to get some soon.

Thanks for the speedy reply

OK I semm not to be able to fix this problem and I cant find any of the posts on bouncing aircraft.

HHHEEEELLLPPPPP!!!!

OK I semm not to be able to fix this problem and I cant find any of the posts on bouncing aircraft.

HHHEEEELLLPPPPP!!!!

Had the same problem .turned out to be a combination of spring factor, shock stroke and RollingRadius

try this

ShockStroke=0.3

SpringFactor=5.0

RollingRadius=0.38 then play from here

also when in your design. make sure that one wheel is not lower then the other

Edited by Veltro2k

Guest capun

What I have seen is that the SpringFactor and DampingFactor play a big part on the tarmac "Rain Dance"

As for veering to one side, look to be sure that the FM data is the same for both sides of the plane surfaces, like Wings, Stabilizers, etc.

If you have two engines you also look for problems with the thrust angle and positions. For example if you set both engine thrust position to one side only instead of being symmetrical.

I am beginning to get to the root of the problem, one of the problems was the axis of my steerable nose wheel, it was upside down, which made the rudder and nosewheel work against each other, now my A/C dont all explode as the sudden bounce is much softer, the other factors are in my main gear leg axes, I wouldn't have found the problem so quick if it wasn't for the quick and helpfull response from you guys.

Thanks

Guest Saganuay82

Good, now show us a pic of your plane :)

Id love to add some pics but for some reason it just stays on the uploading message and no progress appears to happen.

Am I just bad luck or what?

Guest Saganuay82

Go get an account at Photobucket and upload your pics to there. Upload a jpg format, smaller.

Guest Saganuay82

Right on man, looking good.

Thanks,

I'm just deciding wether to take the plunge and re-do the undercarriage from scratch at the moment, or salvage what I can, all that tweaking and rotating axes has put thing out of line.

Boy all this work and I havent started on a virtual pit yet

I did the Tmk1A a while ago and was going to upgrade model...glad to see you doing one...saves me work...lol...heres pics of skins marc (marcfighters site link on CA main page...top right) ..did for it...

if you want to see how I did the undercarriage...let me know...

Russ

http://marcfighters.combatace.com/screens8.htm

Yes now you mention it it makes sense, I did notice that the game has some trouble with orientation of the axis/pivots espetially when the objects are made with mirroring, they can look fine visually via animation but the game still thinks of them in reverse.

Havent any pics yet but i will try to get some soon.

Thanks for the speedy reply

I sorta remember there's any issue with 3dmax, mirroring, and the strikefighters engine...

I got the problem sorted, the ground handling is sweet, yes when objects are mirrored in max the pivots are mirrored too which is what led to the problem.

Thanks for the pics russo, it was your hawk which inspired me to make another, not to sound critical of yours, I just wanted to get into 3D modelling and the hawk is one of my favourite aircraft, I want to make most of the variants including another T-45 with the proper USN nosegear and hook etc.

as I mentioned I am new to modelling and havent developed the full range of skills, skinning is still something I have to learn.

I got the problem sorted, the ground handling is sweet, yes when objects are mirrored in max the pivots are mirrored too which is what led to the problem.

Thanks for the pics russo, it was your hawk which inspired me to make another, not to sound critical of yours, I just wanted to get into 3D modelling and the hawk is one of my favourite aircraft, I want to make most of the variants including another T-45 with the proper USN nosegear and hook etc.

as I mentioned I am new to modelling and havent developed the full range of skills, skinning is still something I have to learn.

It is really nice to see some new blood getting into model building for the SF series,most of the time you only see departures but at least a few new ones have apeared in the last few months.Great job so far and keep up the great work.

Thanks for the kind words so far chaps.

I am making progress and have learned the basics of skinning now, it was easyer than I imagined although the hard part I think will be to create the skins, so far I have been using some skins from russos Hawk for things like the gear and small details (hope that's ok, I will eventually be trying to make my own skins)

I have a question, what is a reasonable poly count for a model, I read the Third wire paper mentioning 5000 for SF, with WOE and WOV has that count gone up? my Hawk is on about 4200 and will probably end up around the 5000 when finished (I've spent hours nibbling small hidden polys off).

Craig