Sign in to follow this  
sabre slayer

Israeli Me 262

Dear All,

In 1945 Czechs built a reverse-engineered version of the Messerschmitt Me 262 jet fighter, the Avia S-92. The Czechoslovakian Air Force used the type in 1948-51 before MiG-15 became available.

According to Bill Norton in "Air War on the Edge", his book on Israeli Air Force, the IAF secretly purchased 8 S.92 jets to answer the threat posed by Egyptian Meteors.

In 1950, according to British and Egyptian intelligence a jet fighter of unknown type exploded in the Israeli airspace. The British thought that it might be a de Havilland Vampire of unknown origin, while the Egyptians stated that they had information revealing that the IAF had secretly taken delivery of eight crated Avia S.92 jets.

It was an Egyptian spy plane or an S.92 exploded due an engine failure ?

WoooW :blink:

I hear this for first time, mmm.

I read some publications about czechoslovak Avias S-199 in Israely air force, but there was nothing about S-92.

I tried search in google, and as I see, there are some interesting links.

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=47199

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal4...son/gal3110.htm

S-199 was crazy mashine, but S-92, mmm... :no:

Ran across this, too, when building the S92 for SF. Rather interesting 'what if'.

Given the IDF's penechant for secrecy, it's quite possible that they may have 'experimented' with one. Easy enough to add one to the game to find out....simple redecaling and some ini tweeks

Wrench

kevin stein

If IAF used S-92, it only evaluated, because in 1953 Gloster Meteor entered in Israeli service. Meteors were more reliable than S-92s, but in an air-to-air combat skilled Israeli pilots would have been able to shoot down British jet fighters (in 1948 inferior S-199 shoot down several Spitfires). This is a really interesting "what if", but there are few information.

Gents as far as I know there where no ME262 in the service of the IAF.

Since we did not have the privilege of choosing the fighters we wanted to use at the time, we had to make use with whatever we could put our hands on.

At the time, no major military equipment producing country was willing to sell Israel weapons for its defance.

Even the spitfires and the P-51's were purchased for the chech republic.

From what I know, the only german origin fighter in the IAF service was the chech version of the ME109. (S-199)

Cheers.

Even the spitfires and the P-51's were purchased for the chech republic.

I understand sence of that sentence right, I hope :blush:

If that means that czechosloslovakian Spitfires and Mustangs was sell to Israel, that is not exactly right. We had not Mustangs.

If my understanding is wrong, I am sorry :umnik2:

Edited by kukulino

But there is a distinct possibility that Israel may have recieved them, whether they used them in combat is another thing entirely. I mean its entirely plausible they were disassembled for study, it wasn't an uncommon practice with advanced Luftwaffe aircraft post war. I've heard this from several sources now but I'm with wrench I don't think you'll be getting any info from the IDF any time soon.

An Me-262 in comtemporary IAF/SF colours would look pretty cool though...

Kukulino, you are right, sorry.

I have rechecked the info on the Mustang, and it appears that Israel has got the first P-51's from the USA through privet hands and elegally in 1948.

The rest of them were bought from Swedan and Italy during the 50's, and that was legal.

So your right there. no mustangs from the Chech republic. sorry about that.

Cheers.

Edited by MannieB.