Sign in to follow this  
Rayzer

Newbie needs help?

I'm not new to flight sims....a little rusty...but do know a little about flying. BUT even though I've had WOV and SF p1, I've never played them. I loaded them and updated them with all the patches...but I was disapointed upon booting them up....NO TRAINING missions....and I seem to have lost the key commands? I have no idea what does what or how to get started. First off....is there any training campaigns available...2nd....is there a keyboard layout anywhere....3rd I have a Cougar Hotas...but so far the ones from frugals site don't work well...anyone with suggestions there.....and last I love the history channels "DogFight" series.....I'd like to add-on to either or both of these sims....anyone have any help/suggestions for a good 1st add-on?

Thanks,

Tim

Just remap things however you like them in options. There aren't nearly as many controls as with LOMAC or F4AF.

Addons, for WOE the NATO fighters addon is the most obvious start. Besides that there's an infinite number of planes, skins and campaigns in the download section here. I'd give you saguanay's link page, but he's probably taken it down by now. Nearly all of the addons between the series are interchangable. Some might require one or two things from a particular game, but if you have all of them, you can canibalize for those assets and run anything, anywhere essentially, even if it says it needs its own seperate install, it can be done :biggrin:

What about training missions....also does LOMAC have training misions?

Where to start - now thats a good question!

Install the game once patch it up then leave that install alone (or use for online playing) . Copy the entire game folder and rename to SFModded or something and mod the heck out of that - run the new install from the exe file in the folder you have now created.

If you decide to install an entire campaign you really need a fresh install - so again just copy the game folder of you initial install (that you should have left unmodded)

You could probably add polaks sky mod on here and then update the terrains from www.sfmods.com - also celinskys cloud mod on here is something to consider.

There is a training terrain to practise dropping bombs - yes thats right manual dive bombing is required and must be practised.

see here: http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_055a.html

and here: http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_061a.html

Add one mod at a time if you must - and test after each one - if you dont then you may never trace the CTD its caused

Be careful - some of the README's in the mods assume you know other things in advance

After doing a lot of modding backup the install to DVD so you dont have to do it again

There is a knowledge base on here that will help you also

The control list will be in default.ini here (C:\........\Wings Over Vietnam\Controls) - There was a keyboard layout - maybe someone has a link to that still - pretty basic though.

When it comes to weapons you will eventually need the weapons editor from this site. Also you may be asked to open an ini file you cant find - for that you will need the SFP1 file extractor program on here.

also see here: http://www.column5.us/newb.htm

Edited by CoolHand29

Theres no set training sylabus like Falcon - use single missions to train on - you can customise how hard the game is - where you start etc. Then up the level when you think youve learnt something - searching old threads on here or simhq will also give you valuable info on how to dogfight or avoid SAM's

& there should be a pdf manual both on your CD & installed into the program folder - that should have the default key commands but you can change them all around in the options bit if you want.

LOMAC does indeed have training missions. Some are better than others.