Sign in to follow this  

In the process of testing an upgraded FM, I saw something extraordinary in my cockpit mirror, and just had to snap an exterior screenie. I'm hot on a '15's tail (he's in front of me, so he's not in the image), his wingman is on mine, followed by my wingman, who in turn is being pursued by yet another '15. So much for the "ineffectual AI"

img00035ko8.jpg

CHOO CHOO!

I had something similiar, me in an F-18, followed by an Su-27, followed by an F-15...that was one of the most vicious battles I had in a while. I lost, but the Su-27 died a second later under the F-15s guns...

FastCargo

Yepper... I have witnessed numerous non-effective AI aircraft either flame my a$$ or save my a$$.

The ini's available and all the helpful info here are worth it!

The problem isn't offensive AI routines as much as the near non-existent defensive AI. You all know that the AI takes no action against SAMS, and that any plane on any strike mission simply flies the waypoints, bombs and flies back home, ignoring all threats. You can shoot them down like pigeons. Heck, I've flown in front of them to see if I could evoke a response. None, no matter what the pilot rating. I've even eliminated all blind zones just to check if that was the problem. It really irks the cr@p out of me to see friendlies with AIM-9s on the pylons getting slaughtered just because they had a bombing waypoint. Even the offensive AI fails when the target is armed with any sort of tail guns, as it merely attacks from the rear and gets nailed. You cannot defend the failure of the AI routines here.

As a pure fighter vs fighter sim, the AI is pretty realistic. But that is rather ironic given the series theme is "strike fighters". Hopefully TK will address this in the next patch.

The problem isn't offensive AI routines as much as the near non-existent defensive AI. You all know that the AI takes no action against SAMS, and that any plane on any strike mission simply flies the waypoints, bombs and flies back home, ignoring all threats. You can shoot them down like pigeons. Heck, I've flown in front of them to see if I could evoke a response. None, no matter what the pilot rating.

Totally agree with you here on each point

For example the rwr equiped planes make no escape manoeuvre and it's not normal at all.

It really irks the cr@p out of me to see friendlies with AIM-9s on the pylons getting slaughtered just because they had a bombing waypoint.

me too :crazy:

You cannot defend the failure of the AI routines here.

clearely not in the "defensive area"

As a pure fighter vs fighter sim, the AI is pretty realistic.

Yes in the dogfight area the ai can be "diabolic" and make some incredible shot

But that is rather ironic given the series theme is "strike fighters". Hopefully TK will address this in the next patch.

Hopefully, hopefully :dntknw:

It really irks the cr@p out of me to see friendlies with AIM-9s on the pylons getting slaughtered just because they had a bombing waypoint.

post-22093-1185726895_thumb.jpg

A bunch of Hornets returning from a bombing run is shadowed by a Flagon.

Fortunately for the Hornets the Flagon doesn't have some guns and had already expended its IRMs. So all it could do was circling around the Hornets (and it that for several minutes), which pretty much ignored the Flagon....although each of them had two Slammers, two Sidewinders and a M61.

Stuff like that makes me pretty much deaf for any kind of praise for SFP's AI.

Edited by Gocad

The AI has not been programmed to jink. That simple maneuver, can help overcome a few issues...though at the cost of maintaining formation. It's something that bears looking into.

The AI is not programmed to identify flex-guns as a danger, irregardless of whether they are ground-object or aircraft-based.

However, the AI will use countermeasures (both active and passive) in an attempt to foil SAMs and AAMs, if they are so equipped.

Both Crusader and I have experienced situations where we've witnessed AI aircraft, that were originally tasked with CAS or strike missions (A-10As on one occasion, AMXs on another) dump their a2g ordnance and engage enemy fighters. Unfortunately, this has happened only twice for me in hundred of flights, and literally weeks of tearing into the most obscure values or the most esoteric dll files afterwards, failed to provide a clue.

Both Crusader and I have experienced situations where we've witnessed AI aircraft, that were originally tasked with CAS or strike missions (A-10As on one occasion, AMXs on another) dump their a2g ordnance and engage enemy fighters.

I have seen that, too. I had engaged a flight of Su-7 with missiles, shot down one and noticed that the others dumped their bombs and turned towards me, which wasn't much of a smart move, but at least they had reacted to my presence.

Could it be that planes that have gone past their objective waypoint and are now going home become unaware of their surroundings? Because whenever I gave my wingmen the order to head home they no longer react to further instructions.

That might explain why the Hornets I mentioned in my previous post did not react to the rather obivious enemy presence, as they were on their way home.