Sign in to follow this  
USAAF2

What is the status of the B-1, B-2, and XB-70 projects?

I was just curious as to the latest progress by the respective members undertaking these projects. I've seen previews posted of the B-70 and B-2, but has the B-1 been created yet?

-Matt

I was just curious as to the latest progress by the respective members undertaking these projects. I've seen previews posted of the B-70 and B-2, but has the B-1 been created yet?

-Matt

i dont know about a b-1 but a b-1b is being done by marcfighters and there is a b-2 in the works

http://marcfighters.combatace.com/Projects.htm

Cool, it would be neat to have the B-1A prototype created from that basic model as well. Having the increased speed of the original version would make it fun to fly, even if the survivability of the higher alititude flying would make you a nice target.

These three planes will be great additions to the game, after that we just need some medium and heavy Russian bombers like the Tu-22M series, the Tu-160, and Tu-95/Tu-142 series. The other side needs something of a strike capability........ :-)

Cool, it would be neat to have the B-1A prototype created from that basic model as well. Having the increased speed of the original version would make it fun to fly, even if the survivability of the higher alititude flying would make you a nice target.

These three planes will be great additions to the game, after that we just need some medium and heavy Russian bombers like the Tu-22M series, the Tu-160, and Tu-95/Tu-142 series. The other side needs something of a strike capability........ :-)

ya thats an issue that come up a few times that alot of the user created aircraft tend to tip the balance of power towards the western alies. But there are alot of russian chinese korean etc mods in the making to even up the odds. Im sure that once some of the russian attack aircraft are done then the moders would move on to some of the classic bombers.

Heres a tu-16 if you didnt have one already

http://column5.us/aircraft5.shtml

Not to hijack the thread, but I tried the Tu-16 downloads in the past and couldn't get it to load in WOV. It was kind of strange, as you could fly the plane if you first selected a different plane for a strike mission and then switched to the Tu-16 in the loadout screen, but if you tried creating a mission using the Tu-16 from the main menu (date, weather, defences, etc) it would not load, stopping the game and giving an error report. Has anybody had problems installing that plane in WOV and/or am I missing something?

I'm just waiting for low-level strike missions with the Tu-22M3.

Not to hijack the thread, but I tried the Tu-16 downloads in the past and couldn't get it to load in WOV. It was kind of strange, as you could fly the plane if you first selected a different plane for a strike mission and then switched to the Tu-16 in the loadout screen, but if you tried creating a mission using the Tu-16 from the main menu (date, weather, defences, etc) it would not load, stopping the game and giving an error report. Has anybody had problems installing that plane in WOV and/or am I missing something?

I'm just waiting for low-level strike missions with the Tu-22M3.

There are no "large" bases for the reds in WoV, and the Tu-16 has a large base declaration in its data.ini file. You might try resetting it to "medium".

I am working on the XB-70 flight model. I had not made any progress for several months. Now, I have extracted a lot more data from the NASA documents and have started to adapt that information into the data ini file for the game. If I am able to model this aircraft's performance and stability correctly, it will be a challenging but rewarding aircraft to fly.

I am working on the XB-70 flight model. I had not made any progress for several months. Now, I have extracted a lot more data from the NASA documents and have started to adapt that information into the data ini file for the game. If I am able to model this aircraft's performance and stability correctly, it will be a challenging but rewarding aircraft to fly.

Outstanding!! My favorite aircraft that I never got to fly...

FastCargo

From the pilot's summary reports:

The XB-70 has proven itself to be a very remarkable airplane. It has

accomplished every milestone that was set down for it. No aerodynamic

changes were required in order to achieve the objectives; but in spite of

its tremendous performance, the XB-70 is an unfinished airplane. It was

operated in a completely new speed and altitude range, but with off-the-shelf

navigation equipment and flight instrumentation that were obsolete

for this type of flight operation. This pilot believes that with normal

development, including some aerodynamic refinement, some system changes,

and better instruments and navigational equipment, this would be a truly

outstanding airplane.

General:

In reading this pilot's summary report, consideration should be given to the

fact that the combination of this airplane's size, weight, and speed ranges

compares to no other airplane in existence; and that the program was primarily

a research program with ground rules that allowed only those changes which

were necessary to safely accomplish the test objectives. In the normal

sequence of development to an operational airplane, many of the opinions

and recommendations expressed herein would have been made after the initial

airworthiness flights. They are presented now, for the record, and for consideration

if improvements can be made for follow-on programs.

In general terms, the XB-70A was an interesting airplane to fly. It had

some peculiarities due to size, weight, and configuration that were different

from most other airplanes. The movable wing tips introduced some new

characteristics in the airplane that had not been experienced before, such

as the wide variation in directional stability, roll power, and dihedral

effect.

The airplane had a tremendous performance capability and was a thrill to

fly from that standpoint, but this capability combined with the fact that

the airplane was climbed and cruised very near the boundary of the allowable

flight envelope quicker and easier than any other airplane this pilot has

flown. The duct pressure limits and the low allowable 'g' aggravated the

recovery. All this adds to the pressure on the pilot by requiring greater

concentration on his part. This was acceptable in a research program of

this nature, but would certainly not be acceptable in an operational vehicle.

The potential for a great airplane is here, but some refinements are required.

More specifically, the pilot's opinions and recommendations are as follows:

Can't wait to get it a test flight when it comes out :)