Sign in to follow this  
Brainless

New System

I'm thinking of buying/building or rather having someone build for me a new system as mine's getting old now. The one I've got has been the best system I've used to-date. It's been first class from day one after my nephew sorted out the BIOS. He's an IT man but moved out of the country so I have trouble contacting him now.

This is the one I'm using:-

Operating System Windows XP with service packs 1 & 2

AMD Athalon processor ™ 64 3700+ at 2.39 ghz

1.50 mb dual channel 400 RAM

Video card Radeon X800 series

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-KA8N Pro with ( nforce3 150 chipset)

Iiyama prolite LCD monitor model no. E481S

I had the original system built to the spec given to me by my nephew, which cost 600GPB about 300 dollars US with a few odd parts from my old system. I later upgraded to the processor noted above and bought the flat screen (shop display model) so I guess the whole rig has cost me around £1,200 over its life.

I know from past experience that you can pay a whole load of cash for hardware and it turns out to be no better or little better than the stuff you've already got. I found this out upgrading processors etc. It seems to me that a lot of the time performance has more to do with the software programming than the hardware but again I'm no expert as I guess by now most of you know.

I have no problem running any of the sims on the system I'm using and have all the sliders up to full or nearly full including FS9 with all the airport scenery add-ons etc. but I'm thinking that when the new SOW etc. comes out I'll need to upgraded or rather buy a new dual/quad system. I can't afford mega bucks and Alienware although showing what seems an excellent spec is way over my budget. Anyway I wouldn't know which of the different spec is good value for money and which is OTT and not worth paying for.

So I guess what I'm asking is does anyone have a good spec for a new system to start with and then I can go from there.

Guest Saganuay82

Video card Radeon X800 series ----------------I wouldn't

I'm thinking of buying/building or rather having someone build for me a new system as mine's getting old now. The one I've got has been the best system I've used to-date. It's been first class from day one after my nephew sorted out the BIOS. He's an IT man but moved out of the country so I have trouble contacting him now.

This is the one I'm using:-

Operating System Windows XP with service packs 1 & 2

AMD Athalon processor ™ 64 3700+ at 2.39 ghz

1.50 mb dual channel 400 RAM

Video card Radeon X800 series

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-KA8N Pro with ( nforce3 150 chipset)

Iiyama prolite LCD monitor model no. E481S

I had the original system built to the spec given to me by my nephew, which cost 600GPB about 300 dollars US with a few odd parts from my old system. I later upgraded to the processor noted above and bought the flat screen (shop display model) so I guess the whole rig has cost me around £1,200 over its life.

I know from past experience that you can pay a whole load of cash for hardware and it turns out to be no better or little better than the stuff you've already got. I found this out upgrading processors etc. It seems to me that a lot of the time performance has more to do with the software programming than the hardware but again I'm no expert as I guess by now most of you know.

I have no problem running any of the sims on the system I'm using and have all the sliders up to full or nearly full including FS9 with all the airport scenery add-ons etc. but I'm thinking that when the new SOW etc. comes out I'll need to upgraded or rather buy a new dual/quad system. I can't afford mega bucks and Alienware although showing what seems an excellent spec is way over my budget. Anyway I wouldn't know which of the different spec is good value for money and which is OTT and not worth paying for.

So I guess what I'm asking is does anyone have a good spec for a new system to start with and then I can go from there.

I agree with Saganuay82, you shouldn't upgrade unless you really have to. My computer's got half the processing power of yours, and half the RAM recommended to run WinXP; yet it runs First Eagles on "Medium" with no trouble at all. My professional (sic) opinion is that you should keep your system, if it isn't giving you any trouble. If it doesn't run some programs to your satisfaction, upgrade the most age-afflicted parts first.

However, I am compelled to point out that a good CRT can* offer better picture, higher resolution, and sharper contrast than any other display type.

*That's the key word, as you'll be hard pressed to find a well-made CRT. ;-)

I agree with Saganuay82, you shouldn't upgrade unless you really have to. My computer's got half the processing power of yours, and half the RAM recommended to run WinXP; yet it runs First Eagles on "Medium" with no trouble at all. My professional (sic) opinion is that you should keep your system, if it isn't giving you any trouble. If it doesn't run some programs to your satisfaction, upgrade the most age-afflicted parts first.

However, I am compelled to point out that a good CRT can* offer better picture, higher resolution, and sharper contrast than any other display type.

*That's the key word, as you'll be hard pressed to find a well-made CRT. ;-)

Thanks guys. In fact I've been considering upgrading since way back in March this year but have delayed because I was waiting for Microsft to sort out the niggles with their Vista OPS and my nephew said wait for the quad motherboards etc. Also some sims won't run on Vista, BOBII for instance as far as I know and there are others. But I'm stuck in a way because my processor can't be upgraded any more (753 pin not 953) and I'm told you will need a dual processor at least to run SOW when it comes out. I didn't want to upgrade my existing system with say a new video card only to find a bit later on that the system I've got has had its life and I need to get a dual/quad core system which as far as I understand it means basically a new rig. Also when youv'e got a rock solid machine you always wonder what problems you will get into with a new system. I've had all this before when changing to new stuff so in a way I'm reluctant to upgrade/renew but expect I'll need to soon. That's why I'm trying to get a handle on a new spec and I know you guys can give me good advice.:dntknw::dntknw:

as the others have said your current system isn't really weak - the only 1 thing that may be worthy of an upgrade is the gfx card. However, as that's AGP I wouldn't advise you to spend money replacing it as your next platform upgrade will be PCI-E based.

Basically, wait until something comes out that you want to run but which won't on your current system.

as the others have said your current system isn't really weak - the only 1 thing that may be worthy of an upgrade is the gfx card. However, as that's AGP I wouldn't advise you to spend money replacing it as your next platform upgrade will be PCI-E based.

Basically, wait until something comes out that you want to run but which won't on your current system.

Thanks for your input to this. This is basically what I've been thinking- to wait and see what I will need. However with so many variations to choose from I thought it worthwhile looking at the issue now and formulating some sort of 'advanced' spec to work over when I do get to buy another system which seems to be probably sometime late this year or early next year. Without some sort of guidance as to a good working spec I just don't know where to start and this is what I need!!

If you don't mind a constantly moving target we can certainly suggest a build that can be updated as new components come onto the market:

What is your anticipated budget?

We know that you will need a new CPU, mobo, RAM, gfx card & probably PSU but what does that budget have to cover (e.g. do you want to upgrade your monitor too, need a new case, do you need a new OS licence etc.)?

If you don't mind a constantly moving target we can certainly suggest a build that can be updated as new components come onto the market:

What is your anticipated budget?

We know that you will need a new CPU, mobo, RAM, gfx card & probably PSU but what does that budget have to cover (e.g. do you want to upgrade your monitor too, need a new case, do you need a new OS licence etc.)?

Hmm.. some very GOOD questions to which I have no definitive answers. I was thinking of keeping my old system, there's so much good stuff on it and loads of add-ons I have paid for over the life of my existing set up and not least all the wonderful artistry from this site. I'm not sure if I can transfer all this to a new rig.

If I go for a new rig with Windows Vista which I guess is the ultimate much of what I have and like most, probably won't run or not run as well as the one I'm using. I have been told that I can buy a new system with Windows XP and up date to Vista later but this still won't get over the fact that some sims won't run on Vista and may never do so. If this sounds like I want my cake and eat it ...well your probably right!!

If I keep the old system can I link the two together? My nephew says if I have a new rig I won't hardly use the old one but I'm not so sure. I remember losing Rowan's BOB and missed it cos' it wouldn't run on XP until Shockwave revamped it and now I can play it again. But this might not be true with other sims. So keeping the old one might be the answer if I can use it in conjunction with the new one.

I don't have a budget set because I don't know what the realistic likely costs of a decent set up would be. Yes I know I can go to computer suppliers and get an idea but in the past I have found that once you have a spec you can punt round and halve the costs the suppliers ask for.

Its really a question of knowing what you need in the first place if you see what I mean. I have experienced all this before, when advised to buy this or that piece of kit only to find it wasn't worth anything like the cost and didn't really improve anything. That's why I'm asking you guys so I won't be ripped off and yes I really am 'Brainless' when it comes to the technical side of computers.

For exampleI made a wrong move when I bought the 753 pin motherboard I have now. If I had waited a month I could have bought the 957 pin and then I could have upgraded..see what I mean.

Bottom line.. from my limited knowledge it seems to me I need to start again with a new box and works but perhaps keep the screen I 've got for the time being unless there is a good reason for changing it. Quite whether I need to use XP or Vista as the OS that's a matter I need to take advice on. Is Vista glich free? I read a lot of people still having problems with it.

If you guys can come up with a good spec I can give it some thought and over the coming weeks look into the details to see what's available, how much it is ,what the alternatives are and I can ask again what you think is good and what's not. That's if you can cope with my Brainless questions which I will no doubt pester you with!!

Thanks for responding to this and for your input thus far.

Should you find there's a game that requires SM3.0 to play (the X800 is only SM2), then I would recommend the card I have now--the X1950Pro AGP. Better bang for the buck than the best nvidia AGP cards out now.

If you can find a dual core 939 chip, that would also be relatively inexpensive, but stock has pretty much disappeared in favor of the AM2 socket (I'm guessing you have 939 based on the chip).

Should you find there's a game that requires SM3.0 to play (the X800 is only SM2), then I would recommend the card I have now--the X1950Pro AGP. Better bang for the buck than the best nvidia AGP cards out now.

If you can find a dual core 939 chip, that would also be relatively inexpensive, but stock has pretty much disappeared in favor of the AM2 socket (I'm guessing you have 939 based on the chip).

Thanks but no I don't have the 939 pin chip so I can't upgrade I can only renew-that's the problem!!

I guess I'll have to wait until you guys come up with a new spec for a new machine as per my last post. Then I can give the whole issue further thought.

I don't have a budget set because I don't know what the realistic likely costs of a decent set up would be.

& I'm sure that you can appreciate that it's hard to suggest a build if you don't know how much is available ...

I'll maybe see if I can draw up 2 specs later at different pricepoints.

Do you have any "must have"" features e.g. firewire, serial/parallel ports (I'm guessing that you won't need RAID)?

As for your question about linking the 2 together - not a problem.

They'll both have ethernet so networking will be easy & you can get a cheap KVM (keyboard, video, monoitor) switch.

& I'm sure that you can appreciate that it's hard to suggest a build if you don't know how much is available ...

I'll maybe see if I can draw up 2 specs later at different pricepoints.

Do you have any "must have"" features e.g. firewire, serial/parallel ports (I'm guessing that you won't need RAID)?

As for your question about linking the 2 together - not a problem.

They'll both have ethernet so networking will be easy & you can get a cheap KVM (keyboard, video, monoitor) switch.

Firstly, it is very decent of you to assist me with this and I really am most grateful for your advice and for your time to work on advising me when I'm sure you could find better things to do with your time!!

I've cobbled up a list of 'works' from when I last ventured into building the system I'm using now. Please excuse if I have forgotten something but here goes.

New computer specification :-

Case: As needed – no preference

Power Supply: to suit system (but needs to be good wattage to run everything)

Motherboard: TBA

CPU: TBA

RAM: TBA

1HD: This could be one or two .I have two drives at present totaling 114.5GB

2HD: ditto but half of this is unused. Please advise suitable capacity (current average if there is such a figure)

CDROM: preferred

CDRW: preferred

Floppy: One on the existing system but do the new systems still need it?

Video Card :TBA

Sound Card: On main board in existing system but could be a card

Modem: needed

Keyboard: re-use from existing system

Speakers: re-use from existing system (which are ‘Creative’ not great but give stereo sound)

Mouse or Trackball: re-use from existing system

Fan Controller: Please advise to suit system (existing fan is on CPU but I also have 2 No. case fans)

Printer: re-use from existing system

Scanner: re-use from existing system

Monitor: re-use from existing system

Operating System: Could be Windows XP or Vista as advised ( I'm using Windows XP at present)

Software: as needed

Control Stick re-use existing

I suppose this is not exhaustive and I'm totally open to any advice/suggestions.

It just occurred to me that going thro' this exercise might also benefit other members thinking of upgrading/renewing their systems unless I'm the only one with an ineptitude on this so hopefully this may prove useful around as it were.

Thanks again and I look forward to your further thoughts.

Firstly, it is very decent of you to assist me with this and I really am most grateful for your advice and for your time to work on advising me when I'm sure you could find better things to do with your time!!

I enjoy spending other people's money! :tomato:

I really could use an idea of what you realistically would consider spending though - would £700 be too much?

1HD: This could be one or two .I have two drives at present totaling 114.5GB

2HD: ditto but half of this is unused. Please advise suitable capacity (current average if there is such a figure)

You'll get a 250Gb or 320Gb HDD for not too much so it sounds like 1 would be adequate.

CDROM: preferred

CDRW: preferred

How about a single DVD-R/RW (or do you actually need 2 opticals)?

Floppy: One on the existing system but do the new systems still need it?

They still have their uses - I use 1 with a combined memory card reader so that it only takes up 1 3.5" slot for 2 devices.

If you are prepared to rob the other system of it's FDD if ever needed then you can omit it.

Modem: needed

Still on dialup?

Printer: re-use from existing system

Scanner: re-use from existing system

are these both USB or what ports required?

I enjoy spending other people's money! :tomato:

I really could use an idea of what you realistically would consider spending though - would £700 be too much?

You'll get a 250Gb or 320Gb HDD for not too much so it sounds like 1 would be adequate.

How about a single DVD-R/RW (or do you actually need 2 opticals)?

They still have their uses - I use 1 with a combined memory card reader so that it only takes up 1 3.5" slot for 2 devices.

If you are prepared to rob the other system of it's FDD if ever needed then you can omit it.

Still on dialup?

are these both USB or what ports required?

Thanks for all this and replying as hereunder:-

I guess I could run to £1,500 - £2,000

Yep - I guess one large drive would do although I had the two before because my nephew suggested two, to backup the the work from one to the other in case one went down. This was after I lost everything on the one drive I had and he spent ages with a recovery programme which got back some files. I've just ordered an external drive to back up what I've got now for extra safety's sake after the wise prompt from Dave's recent post and reading members comments about this! I guess if I just have the one drive and then backup to an external drive once in a while this could do.

Similarly I had two DVD readers /writers in case one went down, which I experienced a while back but I guess if I had one quality one that would do. Since replacing the one that went bad I haven't had any problems (touch wood) and that's probably 18months to 2years ago now.

Would a reader card slot on its own suffice?

I don't remember using the FDD for simply ages, last time was when my nephew installed bits of the OS - updates I think but that's years ago.

I'm on broadband

On the existing system I've only got 4 No. usable USB ports (broadband, monitor,game controller & keyboard- the mouse and sound connections are by plugs) the two at the front never worked because the guy who built it forgot to connect them and I never got it fixed but I could really have done with them from time to time as they are on the front of the cabinet and easy to get at!

Would 6 No. USB ports be OTT on the new system??

Thanks again for your input to this and I wait your further advices.

Thanks for all this and replying as hereunder:-

I guess I could run to £1,500 - £2,000

Yep - I guess one large drive would do although I had the two before because my nephew suggested two, to backup the the work from one to the other in case one went down. This was after I lost everything on the one drive I had and he spent ages with a recovery programme which got back some files. I've just ordered an external drive to back up what I've got now for extra safety's sake after the wise prompt from Dave's recent post and reading members comments about this! I guess if I just have the one drive and then backup to an external drive once in a while this could do.

Similarly I had two DVD readers /writers in case one went down, which I experienced a while back but I guess if I had one quality one that would do. Since replacing the one that went bad I haven't had any problems (touch wood) and that's probably 18months to 2years ago now.

Would a reader card slot on its own suffice?

I don't remember using the FDD for simply ages, last time was when my nephew installed bits of the OS - updates I think but that's years ago.

I'm on broadband

On the existing system I've only got 4 No. usable USB ports (broadband, monitor,game controller & keyboard- the mouse and sound connections are by plugs) the two at the front never worked because the guy who built it forgot to connect them and I never got it fixed but I could really have done with them from time to time as they are on the front of the cabinet and easy to get at!

Would 6 No. USB ports be OTT on the new system??

Thanks again for your input to this and I wait your further advices.

Any news on this? No pressure just idle curiosity. :biggrin::biggrin:

oops, sorry :blush:

I had a week or so without broadband & I guess that I missed your reply during that.

I'll get on it again.

oops, sorry :blush:

I had a week or so without broadband & I guess that I missed your reply during that.

I'll get on it again.

Thanks. As I said no pressure, I'm in no rush, just gratefull for any advice.

OK, try these on for size.

CYA clause :wink:

Bear in mind that you are getting these suggestions based on my likes/dislikes - you may have different preferences.

Prices vary almost day by day let alone weekly & new products are coming onto the market all the time, as I said it's a moving target.

Even going for 2HDDs, 2 ODDs, the dearest case, gfx card etc. should still come in under £1200 inc. VAT for the components. If you really want to spend £1500-2000 I can do it for you though :spiteful: ...

Going for the cheapest options, single drives etc. is probably ~£700.

Case

Akasa Zen £29

Coolermaster RC-330 £26

All sorts of options £80

PSU

Corsair HX620 £88

FSP Epsilon 600W £82

Motherboard

abit IP35-E £65

Gigabyte P35-DS3R £70

abit IP35 £80

Gigabyte P35-DS3P £87

abit IP35 Pro £120

CPU

E6750 2.66GHz Dual £120

E6850 3.0GHz Dual £170

Q6600 2.4GHz Quad £170

RAM

2GB DDR2 6400 4-4-4 £65

4GB DDR2 6400 5-5-5 £180 (2x2GB not 4x 1Gb)

2GB DDR2 8500 5-5-5 £110

HDD

HHD1 HGST 320Gb 16Mb £45

HDD2 (if requd)HGST 320Gb 16Mb £45

ODD

DVD-R/RW1 Samsung SH-S203 £19

DVD-R/RW2 Samsung SH-S203 £19

Nero/PowerDVD oem £8

Floppy

Sony £4

Mitsumi FA404 £15 combined FDD/card reader

Gfx card

320Mb 8800GTS £190

640Mb 8800GTS £225

512Mb HD2900XT £240

Audio Try onboard first

OS Win XP SP2 OEM £53

Vista Home Prem OEM £68

Modem Get a router/4-port switch? £30

OK, try these on for size.

CYA clause :wink:

Bear in mind that you are getting these suggestions based on my likes/dislikes - you may have different preferences.

Prices vary almost day by day let alone weekly & new products are coming onto the market all the time, as I said it's a moving target.

Even going for 2HDDs, 2 ODDs, the dearest case, gfx card etc. should still come in under £1200 inc. VAT for the components. If you really want to spend £1500-2000 I can do it for you though :spiteful: ...

Going for the cheapest options, single drives etc. is probably ~£700.

Case

Akasa Zen £29

Coolermaster RC-330 £26

All sorts of options £80

PSU

Corsair HX620 £88

FSP Epsilon 600W £82

Motherboard

abit IP35-E £65

Gigabyte P35-DS3R £70

abit IP35 £80

Gigabyte P35-DS3P £87

abit IP35 Pro £120

CPU

E6750 2.66GHz Dual £120

E6850 3.0GHz Dual £170

Q6600 2.4GHz Quad £170

RAM

2GB DDR2 6400 4-4-4 £65

4GB DDR2 6400 5-5-5 £180 (2x2GB not 4x 1Gb)

2GB DDR2 8500 5-5-5 £110

HDD

HHD1 HGST 320Gb 16Mb £45

HDD2 (if requd)HGST 320Gb 16Mb £45

ODD

DVD-R/RW1 Samsung SH-S203 £19

DVD-R/RW2 Samsung SH-S203 £19

Nero/PowerDVD oem £8

Floppy

Sony £4

Mitsumi FA404 £15 combined FDD/card reader

Gfx card

320Mb 8800GTS £190

640Mb 8800GTS £225

512Mb HD2900XT £240

Audio Try onboard first

OS Win XP SP2 OEM £53

Vista Home Prem OEM £68

Modem Get a router/4-port switch? £30

Thanks for your advice on this. I'll have to give your compilation some serious thought over the next couple of weeks and then perhaps I can come back to you with any observations.

Thanks again and virtual beers. If only these could be sent down the wire!! :good::good:

Thanks for your advice on this. I'll have to give your compilation some serious thought over the next couple of weeks and then perhaps I can come back to you with any observations.

Thanks again and virtual beers. If only these could be sent down the wire!! :good::good:

Hi Buff

Thanks again for your very helpful advice on my deliberations for a new system.

I have looked at this again and with the help of your list have come up with one of my own noted below:-

Case

Thermaltake Armor – ref VA8003SWA

Power Supply Unit

Corsair HX620 ( your suggestion)

Motherboard

Gigabyte GA-P35ST-DQ6

CPU

Itel QX6850 3.0GHz

RAM

Corsair 800hz 4GB DDR2 6400 (your suggestion)

HDD

Seagate Barracuda – 320 GB ref STY 3320620AS

ODD

IBM – CD-RW/DVD – ROM combo – ref (32R2905)

FLOPPY

Teac Floppy drive FD-CRZ

VIDEO CARD

Sapphire HD2900XT (your suggestion)

OS

Windows Vista

BROADBAND MODEM

I am using a ASL unit supplied by my server and presumably I can re-use this but do I need an internal board for this to plug into? I think my existing one goes thro the old dial up modem card. Do I need one of these?

NETWORKING SWITCH

Any suggestion for a switch and routing to use both my existing system and the new one?

I know my proposed list of units is more expensive than the one you provided for me and I appreciate you are trying to save my cash but having done something like this before know it’s a waste of time and money going for the cheaper solution only to find six months down the road the rig can’t be upgraded and is too slow to meet the latest programmes. I know that as soon as the system is built it is already out of date but all you can do is try obtain the best currently available that is value for money and upgrade later if needs be.

The next question is are all the components I have listed compatible and will they all fit into the case I have chosen?

Have I gone for a component, which looks to me to be better, but in fact has no real advantage to the one you selected and will make no difference to performance?

Is there anything you wouldn’t have for a particular reason?

This raises the next problem of building the thing! I have installed PSU units in my existing system together with RAM, CPU and drives but this was in an up and running computer. I don’t know how difficult it would be to build the unit myself from scratch but it didn’t look that hard when the guy (who didn’t have a clue how to set the BIOS) built my current one.

What are the pitfalls and given my limited knowledge do you think this is feasible ( I know you don’t know my abilities but they are pretty slim when it comes to computers. I can screw things up (excuse the pun) and plug things together tho’!!

If I did build it how would I know how to commission it (BIOS) settings etc.

Any thoughts on all this would be appreciated

If you mean the Gigabyte P35T-DQ6 that's a DDR3 only mobo & won't take the RAM that you have chosen.

The DDR2 version is the P35-DQ6.

The X38 chipset mobos are just starting to show up & are ~ £180.

Personally I wouldn't pay £610 for a QX6850 when the £165 Q6600 GO stepping is exactly the same CPU bar the default fsb & it doesn't have unlocked upward multis.

A very easy overclock will get you the 3.0GHz & save you £450 (some of which you can put towards a better heatsink/fan than the stock Intel one).

I honestly wouldn't get that IBM CD-R/RW (unless you are reusing it) but get a SATA DVD-R/RW (the Samsungs being the quietest that I have used & you can buy a silver bezel for a couple of pounds).

As for the gfx card if you have all this cash to throw around that means that you can also afford an nVidia 8800GTX which would be a further improvement - imo save money on e.g. the CPU & spend it on the gfx card.

Broadband modem - normally these connect by ethernet into the LAN on the mobo.

You can buy a basic external Belkin adsl modem/router 1 for about £10 if you need it & a better one probably £30-40.

You should check with your ISP what they say though

Networking - if you are only running 2 PCs then the Gigabyte has dual nics so you could connect your other PC into 1 & the ADSL modem/router into the other using internet sharing. Alternatively buy a modem/router with an inbuilt switch - if you can confirm that your old PC is only 10/100 it will save the expense of a gigabit router/switch as that will be the bottleneck in the network.

If you only have 1 monitor, kb & mouse then you will want a KVM switch to save continuously swapping plugs between the 2 towers.

If you can screw things up & plug them in you can build a PC (being able to read manuals also helps).

The actual physical assembly is pretty easy, tidying it up (hiding cables etc.) takes more time & installing the OS & software will probably take the longest.

The advantage of doing it yourself is that you will learn, gain confidence & have a far better knowledge of your system which will make future upgrades easier.

If you mean the Gigabyte P35T-DQ6 that's a DDR3 only mobo & won't take the RAM that you have chosen.

The DDR2 version is the P35-DQ6.

The X38 chipset mobos are just starting to show up & are ~ £180.

Personally I wouldn't pay £610 for a QX6850 when the £165 Q6600 GO stepping is exactly the same CPU bar the default fsb & it doesn't have unlocked upward multis.

A very easy overclock will get you the 3.0GHz & save you £450 (some of which you can put towards a better heatsink/fan than the stock Intel one).

I honestly wouldn't get that IBM CD-R/RW (unless you are reusing it) but get a SATA DVD-R/RW (the Samsungs being the quietest that I have used & you can buy a silver bezel for a couple of pounds).

As for the gfx card if you have all this cash to throw around that means that you can also afford an nVidia 8800GTX which would be a further improvement - imo save money on e.g. the CPU & spend it on the gfx card.

Broadband modem - normally these connect by ethernet into the LAN on the mobo.

You can buy a basic external Belkin adsl modem/router 1 for about £10 if you need it & a better one probably £30-40.

You should check with your ISP what they say though

Networking - if you are only running 2 PCs then the Gigabyte has dual nics so you could connect your other PC into 1 & the ADSL modem/router into the other using internet sharing. Alternatively buy a modem/router with an inbuilt switch - if you can confirm that your old PC is only 10/100 it will save the expense of a gigabit router/switch as that will be the bottleneck in the network.

If you only have 1 monitor, kb & mouse then you will want a KVM switch to save continuously swapping plugs between the 2 towers.

If you can screw things up & plug them in you can build a PC (being able to read manuals also helps).

The actual physical assembly is pretty easy, tidying it up (hiding cables etc.) takes more time & installing the OS & software will probably take the longest.

The advantage of doing it yourself is that you will learn, gain confidence & have a far better knowledge of your system which will make future upgrades easier.

Well thanks again Buff. This is just the sort of input and advice I need. I would never have known about this stuff without you.

The biggest problem and bit that worries me most is commissioning the rig when its built. I know from the problem my nephew had ( he's an IT consultant/manager) undoing the errors in the BIOS,which kept crashing the system, set by the guy who built my current computer that this is crucial to getting a stable OS. After my nephew fixed it it's been rock solid.

One of the reasons why I would probably want to build the thing myself is because its so hard to find someone who really knows what the're doing and you can trust!

Can you give me advice and/or help with commisioning if I do decide to build it myself?

The biggest problem and bit that worries me most is commissioning the rig when its built. I know from the problem my nephew had ( he's an IT consultant/manager) undoing the errors in the BIOS,which kept crashing the system, set by the guy who built my current computer that this is crucial to getting a stable OS. After my nephew fixed it it's been rock solid.

One of the reasons why I would probably want to build the thing myself is because its so hard to find someone who really knows what the're doing and you can trust!

Can you give me advice and/or help with commisioning if I do decide to build it myself?

Somebody like SCAN will build it for you & give you a guarantee although of course you'll pay for the service.

I could build it for you but I'm always a bit worried about shipping complete systems.

Whereabouts are you in case I know anyone reasonably local?

I agree that the best way to learn is to do it yourself & will stand you in good stead in future.

I can give you reasonable advice/help but ultimately I won't have your exact components to play with - the biggie being the mobo although I can download a manual for it no problem.

Btw the DQ6 is being discontinued to avoid overlap with Gigabyte's lower X38 mobo.

Somebody like SCAN will build it for you & give you a guarantee although of course you'll pay for the service.

I could build it for you but I'm always a bit worried about shipping complete systems.

Whereabouts are you in case I know anyone reasonably local?

REPLY - I'm in Hertfordshire

I agree that the best way to learn is to do it yourself & will stand you in good stead in future.

I can give you reasonable advice/help but ultimately I won't have your exact components to play with - the biggie being the mobo although I can download a manual for it no problem.

REPLY- When the guy I had built the system I'm already using he gave me the mobo box with the instal instructions and from that I figured out how to upgrade the CPU etc. Obviously I can read the manuals and if all the parts come with instructions I should be able to put it together.

What I will probably need most is advise on how to configure the BIOS. Can you help me with this?

Btw the DQ6 is being discontinued to avoid overlap with Gigabyte's lower X38 mobo.

REPLY - please see my revised list below

Hi Buff

Further to your last advices I have revised the component list as hereunder:-

(This may be subject to further amendment following your ongoing advices)

Case

Thermaltake Armor – ref VA8003SWA

Power Supply Unit

Corsair HX620 (your suggestion)

Motherboard

Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 ( is this the latest & best?)

Can I upgrade later to say a faster CPU and DDR3 RAM

What are the 45NM processors and when might they be available. Do I need one?

Heatsink fan

Please advise best one

CPU

Intel Q6850 2.4GHz (overclocked to 3.0GHz)

RAM

HDD

ODD

Samsung –SH-S183A Black DVD +/- R/RW RAM DL SATA OEM

(SH-S183A/BEBN) is this the right one?

FLOPPY

Teac Floppy drive FD-CRZ

VIDEO CARD

GeForce 8800GTX ( is this the latest and best?) (your suggestion)

Is Intel better than AMD?

OS

Windows Vista

KVM switch

NLKVM P-2PC ( is this the one I need ?)

BROADBAND MODEM

Assumed this will fit straight onto Mobo

NETWORKING SWITCH

What does ‘’confirm your old PC is only 10/100’’ mean

COMPATIBILTY

I assume that all the components I have listed are compatible and will they all fit into the case I have chosen? If not please advise.

COMPONENTS

Is there anything you wouldn’t have for a particular reason?

COMMENTS

Again please feel free to re-recommend/advise on anything

All thoughts on any aspect would be appreciated

ADVICE

Thanks again for sparing your time to research the parts and for all your invaluable help without which I would be at a complete loss with this!

Motherboard

Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 ( is this the latest & best?)

Can I upgrade later to say a faster CPU and DDR3 RAM

X38 is the latest Intel chipset & is their "high end" desktop chipset.

The Gigabyte is the first mobo using it to be available in retail but all the main mobo manufacturers will have one or a couple.

You can upgrade later to a faster CPU but that board only has DDR2 slots so, no to DDR3.

Gigabyte will be doing a DDR3 version the X38T-DQ6 but unknown at this point when it will ship & how much it will be - plus of course the current cost of DDR3 is a killer for little or no gain with current systems.

Some mobo manufacturers will be doing X38 mobos with both DDR2 & DDR3 slots (you can only use 1 type at a time) but historically that type of design tends to be not as good as a board dedicated to 1 type but it does give a bit more flexibility for the future.

Early results say the X38 with DDR2 is no quicker than a P35 chipset board but where reviewers say that they are seeing gains is with DDR3 & Penryns (see below).

For my part I'm probably going to wait for Penryns to launch & DDR3 to come down to a sensible price at which time I'll probably buy an abit IX38-MAX (assuming reviews are good of course but I expect that they will be).

Of course, I can afford to wait as I already have 3 Core 2 Duo systems here. :wink:

If I were you & looking to buy now I would just go with a P35/DDR2 system as X38/DDR2 doesn't really seem to offer gains & the RAM for X38/DDR3 is ludicrously priced atm (hopefully will change by Spring).

What are the 45NM processors and when might they be available. Do I need one?

Latest production Core 2 CPUs are 65Nm process (like the GO stepping q6600 that I recommended as opposed to the older B3 stepping), the 45Nm CPUs are the next generation of Intel's Core 2 (Penryn).

They are expected to show performance gains.

Heatsink fan

Please advise best one

with the mobo being so new there is as yet little info on what fits & more importantly what doesn't.

Give it a week or so & there should be more info available.

CPU

Intel Q6850 2.4GHz (overclocked to 3.0GHz)

I think that you mean a Q6600 GO stepping

RAM

HDD

ODD

Samsung –SH-S183A Black DVD +/- R/RW RAM DL SATA OEM

(SH-S183A/BEBN) is this the right one?

latest is the SH-S203/BEBN & you would probably want to buy a silver bezel to match your silver case.

NEC/Sony do a silver SATA DVDR/RW AD-7170S-0S for much the same price but it's a bit noisier.

FLOPPY

Teac Floppy drive FD-CRZ

VIDEO CARD

GeForce 8800GTX ( is this the latest and best?) (your suggestion)

Is Intel better than AMD?

the latest & best is the 8800 Ultra but imo the small improvement over the GTX isn't worth the big price increase.

& I think that you mean is nVidia better than AMD/ATi - at this point AMD/ATi have nothing to touch the 8800GTX (the 8800GTS/XT2900 is 6 of one/half a dozen of the other)

OS

Windows Vista

KVM switch

NLKVM P-2PC ( is this the one I need ?)

there are many & like most things you tend to get what you pay for.

Things to watch out for are:

does it use the right type of connector for your peripherals (PS/2 or USB)?

the type of video connection to suit your monitor - DSUB or DVI

cheaper KVMs usually have a limit to the display resolution that they can handle well, check that they can handle whatever you normally use.

BROADBAND MODEM

Assumed this will fit straight onto Mobo

your existing one is probably ethernet or USB connected - if so yes, it should plug straight into your new mobo.

NETWORKING SWITCH

What does ‘’confirm your old PC is only 10/100’’ mean

Presumably your old mobo has an integrated LAN adapter or a NIC card installed?

Chances are that it will be ethernet 10/100Mbps.

Your new mobo will have a gigabit (10/100/1000) integrated LAN adapter but if your old system is 10/100 there is no point in buying a gigabit switch as the network will be limited to the max of the old system - 100.

I think that we should deal with all your networking questions separately from the tower build.

COMPATIBILTY

I assume that all the components I have listed are compatible and will they all fit into the case I have chosen? If not please advise.

the 8800GTX is a long card but afaik that case will take it - it's not a small case, in fact the reverse.

The PSU should be able to power it all, the RAM should work etc. etc. - afaik it should all fit/work together.