Sign in to follow this  
FOTF

Here's an idea EA....

How about this....instead of pumping out the same game year after year....use the Madden engine to create an update to Mutant League Football!!!!

Don't forget NHL 2k4, NHL 2k5, NHL 2k6, NHL 2k7, just replace them with NHL: Just another attempt to take your $70 bucks! I'd love to see a Mutant League Hockey but I won't hold my breath...

I mean was having a dittie maker so you can add your own music in-game so evil??

EA have got away with it for years, I'm partly guilty for helping them by buying their F1 games each year back a few years ago. Of course 2K sports are doing the same kind of thing now and you have to wonder if these publishers have to do something like this to be able to afford the extortionate fee's charged by the various sporting bodies like the Bernie Ecclestone, NASCAR, NFL, FIFA etc. I'm not trying to defend EA but they may not be entirely to blame for the greed shown by some of the sporting license owners. Even with all the money Sony have they have given up the license to produce official F1 games and the rumour is EA are in the hotseat to get the license back.

On a side note, are these sigs really neccessay? they are puerile and I've had to switch off sigs in my user control panel which is a shame as I've sometimes followed sigs to sites linked in some users sigs and found them interesting.

To compare 2K's contribution to sport games with that of EA's is ludicrous.

First of, the 2K series actually builds on the foundation of the previous year, rather than putting out a thinly veiled roster update in the form of a new game. They actually improve the game, add new features, etc. NFL 2K5 is hardly the game NFL 2K2 was, which cannot be said it's EA Sports counterpart.

Furthermore, 2K charges a bargin bin-esque price of merely 20 dollars for their new iteration of your favorite sports game. Whereas our friends at EA deem fit to charge you a full 40 to 50 dollars for above mentioned roster update.

As far as "exclusive licensing" goes, EA is by far the worst. Don't throw Sony on the fire based on their use of the F1 license and leave out EA. Their misuse of the Exclusive NFL license is well deserving of a similiar if not worse fate. Their own laziness in updating simple things in the Madden franchise has shown the only reason they purchased the exclusive rights for NFL games was not to improve the franchise by making it the official game of the NFL, but by eliminating their competition. There are players that have been in the league for over 3 years that still have a computer generated portrait rather than their official NFLPA portrait, uniforms are not correct, players are not even correct (For proof of this, look no further than the Chiefs kicker, who is left footed in real life, but root footed in the game).

I think in your haste to post more vitriol at EA's expense you've not really read what I posted. I never set out to defend EA though I did compare one point in that 2K Sports also release on a yearly cycle, but that was it. To expand on that if you read some reviews of past titles you'll see there have been good and bad years for both EA and 2K Sports with both publishers getting flack for releasing little more than a roster update to the previous years title whilst they both have had positive reviews on the same series where improvements have been made where they have introduced an updated engine when they have got to a point where just a roster update is not enough. Being a Pro Evolution Soccer fan I did come close to buying FIFA last year because IMHO it was a big improvement over past titles in terms of gameplay, my son also thought it was a worthy challenger to Pro Evolution Soccer but in the end Pro Evo edged it slightly but I'll be trying the demo's again this year before making a purchase - partly to see if I need to make one at all if there is no significant update to either title.

As for my comment on Sony, I was not "throw Sony on the fire based on their use of the F1 license and leave out EA" I had already mentioned my blame in helping EA squeeze every last drop out of the F1 license for buying those games each year so I was not leaving out EA at all and I mentioned Sony in relation to the point I was making about the licenses costing so much that even Sony decided not to renew their deal with Bernie Ecclestone.

To have to explain that again clearly shows you're not interested in another opinion so I will respect that and make this my last post on the matter.

On a side note, are these sigs really neccessay? they are puerile and I've had to switch off sigs in my user control panel which is a shame as I've sometimes followed sigs to sites linked in some users sigs and found them interesting.

There were just for fun Revvin. A small joke amongst the mods. We are going to change them back.

I think we're all missing the point of his post here... and that is that EA needs to bring back Mutant League Football!!!

Possibly the greatest football game ever. My best friend in the Corps and I spent countless off-duty hours (and some on-duty!) playing this game. How fondly I remember calling the "Bribe the Ref" play and seeing my opponent flagged for "Flatulence." Or the pure joy of tossing dynamite at the band during half time and high-fiving when we completely wiped them out. Or the wondrous sight of the ball carrier getting blown to bits as he stepped on a mine after juking around the defensive end. Or the scream of a player who got knocked off of the field (when we played on an asteroid) as he drifted off into oblivion. I still laugh when I recall the game that I was beating my buddy 42-7 only to lose with :04 seconds on the clock because he killed my last player.

What a great game... :clapping:

I've not been happy ever since EA took the NASCAR license away from Papy and pretty much killed NASCAR on the PC.

I've also not been happy since Sony took the F1 license away from the PC as well. Of course, we have F1 mods for rFactor that are doing pretty well, but the NASCAR mods haven't been quite as good.