Sign in to follow this  
Jimbib

Groom Lake Birds

Would anyone know which units are currently operating from Groom Lake in terms of non-experimental aircraft? What I mean is, the most recent sat pics of the place show some vipers, a hornet and black hawks at the place. It would be interesting to know which units these "chase-planes" perhaps belong to.

EDIT: For those who are not too sure of what I'm talking about, try this...

http://dreamlandresort.com/area51/sat_image_2007.html

Edited by bibbolicious

Would anyone know which units are currently operating from Groom Lake in terms of non-experimental aircraft? What I mean is, the most recent sat pics of the place show some vipers, a hornet and black hawks at the place. It would be interesting to know which units these "chase-planes" perhaps belong to.

EDIT: For those who are not too sure of what I'm talking about, try this...

http://dreamlandresort.com/area51/sat_image_2007.html

are those Black Helicopters I hear coming your way.......

:blink:

:rofl:

I'd better slip on a pair of Nikes then :biggrin: Typhoid, you were never out at Pittman Station were you?

I'd better slip on a pair of Nikes then :biggrin: Typhoid, you were never out at Pittman Station were you?

nope. My involvement with the program was elsewhere, along the lines of getting the results.

FWIW, very little is being done as far as flight testing out of there nowadays. The place is too high-profile (ironically) and easily watched.

I hear all that stuff is being done out of Utah now.

FWIW, very little is being done as far as flight testing out of there nowadays. The place is too high-profile (ironically) and easily watched.

I guessing they're keeping the base active so it could attract attention and keep people away from the real test sites.

I mean all this UFO, Area 51 and alien stuff is a dream come true for black projects, nobody cares about the other bases, there stuck to A51 and think about aliens.

I've heard about that theory too, about the real top secret stuff being moved out to places like Dugway or White Sands, and can understand the reasoning behind that theory. However, the very latest satellite imagery of groom and lake and even the newest pics from Tikaboo suggest that Groom Lake is going to be active as it ever was with the latest expansion of the base. For starters this includes a new 183'x345' hangar at the south of the base, next to the old SR-71 hangars, as well as the re-surfacing of the west side of the north ramp, where the Red Hat hangars at situated. Also, due to the presence of an F/A-18 on the imagery, it tells us that not only are the USAF there, also the USN or USMC are there, probably the USN, as they have been involved in projects there for many years. An expansion to the PE (Personal Equipment; pilot ready room) also coincides with activity at Groom Lake increasing. Another sign of expansion is in the re-surfacing of the south ramp and the addition of fuel tanks in 2003. I think it could be safe to say that Groom Lake could well be hotting up again. From the guys at dreamlandresort, they paid for their own satellite imagery quite recently, and using the google earth imagery overlay they have at their site, you can easily see the new additions to the base.