Sign in to follow this  
SkyStrike

Would fictional aircraft like the the F/A-37 Talon really fly & perform as well as it did in the movie "Stealth" if it were really built?

The Forger wasn't supersonic. It was in fact, slower than most Harriers, and could not even safely operate in VTOL mode with an external loadout.

The Freestyle, by contrast, met its design goals, though at a hideously expensive price point (probably due to it's advanced fly-by-wire TVC system), so it wasn't placed in service.

tis a shame, it'd be really cool to see her for export. Indian Navy anyone?

You never heard of the Millenium Falcon? She'll make .5 past light speed, she's fast enough for you old man!

If that was even REMOTELY possible it would have definitely been designed by now. (well...at least attempted)..

And besides, the streamlined design of a modern jetfighter or a modern sportscar looks FAR MORE ADVANCED than that of the Millenium Falcon, and they look far better suited for high speeds...

Edited by Tomcat_ace

tis a shame, it'd be really cool to see her for export. Indian Navy anyone?

No politics please...

Controversial? Well it would be the same as asking a WW1 pilot if he can engage an aircraft beyond visual range after dashing into the area at 50000 ft at Mach 2. His answer would be the same. "Nope" and he would probably think you are crazy.

As you may be very well aware: All modern military aircraft are designed with many years of careful and intensive research, and there's no way that these designs can be compared to these fictional craft, which may take not more than a month to design...

In fact i think that these fictional aircraft are nothing more than a mockery of military aircraft...

hahahahahaha...I think I just peed my pants a little bit.

What exactly is that supposed to mean????????????????

The Millenium Falcon flew in space, and you can make a ship any shape when flying in space. No aero.

The Talon was totally ridiculous. I kept laughing when watching the movie when they talked about going Mach 3+ and such. With THAT canopy? Aero heating is so severe at those speeds... Plus they would SAY Mach 3 and then show a plane that looked like it was flying at subsonic speeds based on passage of scenery. Then in a dive on a building at Mach 3? And able to pull out? At that range???? NOT.

Anyway, while it's conceivable that some of these designs COULD fly, the performance they are given is totally [Vizzini]inconceivable!![/Vizzini]

Traveling at Mach 3+ in the rarefied atmosphere above 80,000 feet, the SR-71's titanium clad nose would often glow from friction, and sometimes even distort to the point of wash boarding. The F-15's Vmax of Mach 2.4-2.5@39,000 feet is due to the canopy melting beyond that speed.

Assuming one had enough thrust to travel at those speeds at lower altitudes, what do you think would happen, say, at sea level? Or even much below 30,000 feet?

The world speed record for low altitude flight (officially verified) is 988 mph/859 knots/Mach 1.3@125 feet, set by the F-104 "Red Baron", which was modified specifically for that purpose. That record has stood for 30 years.

What exactly is that supposed to mean????????????????

That means I find this whole thread ridiculious and it made me laugh so hard I lost control of my bladder and peed in my pants.

That means I find this whole thread ridiculious and it made me laugh so hard I lost control of my bladder and peed in my pants.

IF THAT'S THE CASE WHY WAS THIS THREAD RATED AS A HOT TOPIC ????????

By the way what about the thread that you started about whether a Mack truck could transform into a giant robot????

Frankly Speaking: That sounds much more ridiculous!!!!!!

Edited by Tomcat_ace

Nope, he's dead serious about the truck... That scares me. :blink:

Hot topic = number of replies, possibly also due to the rate of replies, not sure.

Has absolutely no bearing one way or another on the relative worth or lack thereof of said thread. :biggrin:

As for altitude, since Mach 1 @ sea level is much faster than Mach 1 @ 50k ft, the idea of Mach 3 @ sea level is just absurd. 2300mph @ sea level will melt you down. Now, granted you could make something like the space shuttle that's capable of that, but it's not a fighter, is it? :wink:

Well...The question has been answered. Next Question.

Guest 531_Ghost
And beside,s many of these fictional aircraft look like some of these sketches of artists of the '60s and 70's depicting futuristic military aircraft with complicated designs... But as we all know that the NONE of the present and latest aircraft bear even the sightest resemblence to those depicted...

and in the movie "Stealth" VTOL aircraft are depicted flying at hypersonic speeds and in reality the latest VTOL jet (the F-35 joint strike fighter) is one of three VTOL jets that can fly supersonic (Mach 1.6) and the other two being the Yak-38 'Forger' and Yak-141 'Freestyle' of Russia..

But to crown it all is a fictional ''supersonic'' helicopter called the ''Airwolf'' from the 1984 seies with the same name,which is capable of speeds up to Mach 2....( and that too the 'Airwolf' is depicted by a modified Bell 222)

Frankly, I don't think that any helicopter has ever reached supersonic speeds.. .the main rotors provide lift pretty well, but is insufficent to propel the craft at really high speeds (leave alone supersonic) and cause high aerodynamic resistance...

At this point in time, a rotating airfoil, engine or helicopter rotor systems blades can not exceed mach due to stress. Can an engine provide enough thrust to propel an aircraft mach +? Sure, but, the speed of the air entering the engines intake must be slowed or the engine will stall and or fail. That's why the Tomcat has variable intakes as does the Eagle, and, Phantom. Newer designs of aircraft have adapted and have intakes that don't need to be varied, F/A18, F16. For now, helicopters, due to this limitation will not exceed mach, nor will they come close to it, not at a typical cruising speed of 160+- knots.