• Announcements

• Erik

26 September - Maintenance Notification   09/21/2024

CombatACE.com will be offline this upcoming Thursday morning, September 26, 2024. The duration of this event will be 4-5 hours. Our website will be unavailable and return an error during that time. Maintenance of our equipment is unavoidable, and this downtime will allow the opportunity to replace worn and damaged fans, power supply units, and thermal paste throughout all our equipment. Thank you for reading our maintenance advisory.
Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas Bell

AAR: 1957 MiG-19 Campaign

That was an outstanding summary, very thorough.

Wow, neat stuff.

So, you can get shot down and keep flying later in the campaign?

Having only tested the sim using Load Mission, and never playing a campaign, I've always see the mission terminated when I bail out. Does the mission continue during a campaign mission if the player bails out?

If you eject over friendly territory the mission ends but the campaign continues. I was WIA on both ejects, although obviously not too badly as I was flying again 2 days later. During my rest period the squadron didn't fly.

Read elsewhere that ejecting or landing in enemy territory sometimes allows the player to continue, so apparently search and rescue is calculated too. This would explain how some of my MIA AI pilots showed back up on base several days after getting shot down.

very thorough summary. Looks like an outstanding addition.

I've got a lot of bugs (weapon supplies and loadouts for example) to work out before it's ready for public use. Also need to add the new Vulcan in, and am hoping the newer F-86 series planes will be out soon.

Perhaps more important, I have to experiment with dumbing down the Soviet forces. I had planned on presenting the campaign results from both sides. But survival for NATO AI-crewed aircraft is nearly impossible, to the point where I would flew a few missions and the entire squadron would be wiped out. 6 out 8 F-100s shot down in a single mission for example. Just couldn't get anywhere to provide a decent campaign summary.

What I don't understand is that when fighting against the NATO planes, it certainly seems hard enough. My guess is that the AI routines are better suited for MiGs than heavier Western aircraft (F-86 series planes do seem to survive a bit more). I've tried stock, Uber AI, and few others from specific aircraft to no avail - especially for the poor old Hun. Perhaps Fubars latest MiG-17 FM will balance the field a bit. But the MiG-19 is still a killer vs the Hun. I think the AI flies it better than I do - except when they are my wingmen :biggrin:

Maybe it would better to ditch this and back up to 1951 where the planes are better matched :dntknw:

I've got a lot of bugs (weapon supplies and loadouts for example) to work out before it's ready for public use. Also need to add the new Vulcan in, and am hoping the newer F-86 series planes will be out soon.

Perhaps more important, I have to experiment with dumbing down the Soviet forces. I had planned on presenting the campaign results from both sides. But survival for NATO AI-crewed aircraft is nearly impossible, to the point where I would flew a few missions and the entire squadron would be wiped out. 6 out 8 F-100s shot down in a single mission for example. Just couldn't get anywhere to provide a decent campaign summary.

What I don't understand is that when fighting against the NATO planes, it certainly seems hard enough. My guess is that the AI routines are better suited for MiGs than heavier Western aircraft (F-86 series planes do seem to survive a bit more). I've tried stock, Uber AI, and few others from specific aircraft to no avail - especially for the poor old Hun. Perhaps Fubars latest MiG-17 FM will balance the field a bit. But the MiG-19 is still a killer vs the Hun. I think the AI flies it better than I do - except when they are my wingmen :biggrin:

Maybe it would better to ditch this and back up to 1951 where the planes are better matched :dntknw:

i'd say its realistic because of the disparity of forces.

atrdriver-

In the 1950s AAA Mod I already did because of the results of this campaign (here: 1950's AAA Mod ) I made the AAA more effective by combining the effects of the weapon system data and also increasing the warhead weight as you did - just not as much. Increasing the warhead weight to your levels within my other system tweaks is way too effective. Remember it still took 2-3000 rounds of radar controlled heavy AA rounds to knock down a plane.

I think we are after the same effect - just a different approach.

atrdriver-

In the 1950s AAA Mod I already did because of the results of this campaign (here: 1950's AAA Mod ) I made the AAA more effective by combining the effects of the weapon system data and also increasing the warhead weight as you did - just not as much. Increasing the warhead weight to your levels within my other system tweaks is way too effective. Remember it still took 2-3000 rounds of radar controlled heavy AA rounds to knock down a plane.

I think we are after the same effect - just a different approach.

Well I was looking for the effect such as "I don't know if the next bullet as my name on it", pucker factor over enemy territory

So I powered up a lot the AAA; i guess what you did with your1950 mod isntead was having a greaer numebr of AAA guns scattered all over the place; My point was that I had losses due to AAA with my mod, at times nasty and unnice, just like real war. On the othe rhand I had to power up warheads to significative levels