Sign in to follow this  
mppd

USAF Tailcodes in SE Asia

Almost finished with this project - some 59 aircraft schemes for USAF F-4C/D/E aircraft in SE Asia (WOV). Decal TGAs for tailcodes, fin tip colors, canopy rail colors, tape lights, wing/squadron insignia. Thought that the default decals needed a revision with a little historical flare. Some schemes not seen before.

Mike Druzolowski

Good work Mike! :good:

Looking forward to the release! :rolleyes:

Beautiful work, Mike. I've been flying a lot more USAF since the release of your previous work. Thanks!

Heck

Oh, man!

How cool is this?

I may have to strap on a Phantom again with these beauties to fly and fly with!

:good:

Thanks everyone, was not sure if there was any interest in the default SE Asian Phantom schemes. I'm using Sundowner's basic 1024 pixel skins on my own install (with some unauthorized color shifts), but the package contains decals only so that you can use any skins of your choice (except for a mod to the default 512 pixel F-4E nose which has the sharkmouth deleted - it is now a decal).

Another day or so...the new squadronlist.ini contains additions but contains no changes to the default squadrons so that no editing is required for existing missions or campaigns.

Mike D.

Thanks everyone, was not sure if there was any interest in the default SE Asian Phantom schemes. I'm using Sundowner's basic 1024 pixel skins on my own install (with some unauthorized color shifts), but the package contains decals only so that you can use any skins of your choice (except for a mod to the default 512 pixel F-4E nose which has the sharkmouth deleted - it is now a decal).

Another day or so...the new squadronlist.ini contains additions but contains no changes to the default squadrons so that no editing is required for existing missions or campaigns.

Mike D.

Glad to hear about the sharkmouth, Mike. Having it a decal instead of on the bitmap is a great idea. Your work will be great for people like myself, who have to use the default skins (or 512 bitmaps), so our computers can keep up with things. I've been doing a lot of Navy flying in WOV, but your work has dragged me back to runways, and from the screenshots you've posted, you'll be keeping me there for quite some time. I may even create myself a personal scheme decal. I know they were rare in Nam, but it's fun to create them, and try and keep in the vein of the time. And your skins would certainly justify the time out to do it. Looking forward to the release.

I keep hearing about Sundowner's higher-res skins, where do I get them?

I'm definately going to be flying these, looking great!

Sundowner created skins for use in many packages by USAFMTL I believe - however he is going to let me release the Tailcode package with his skins (or if too large a file, I'll put them out as a separate file with some minor adjustments - no F-4E sharkmouth or imbeded star & bar, minor color tweaks, etc. His skins are great, and super detailed at 2048 pixel resolution, but WOV runs better on my PC with 1024 res skins - that is what I'll release it with. It's almost as good for general external shots unless you are zooming in VERY close, and the 1024 is a good compromise. Someone should put out a list of works with his skins - I guess I should, I think I have every F-4 skin available for WOV!

Mike D.

Edited by mppd

Looks Cool...spent alot of time in WOE flying the RAF F-4M....looks like it is time to go back to Nam and the F-4.