Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

F-110A 'Wraith' Package

F-110A 'Wraith' Package

F-110A "Wraith" Mod Pak for SF/WoV/WoE

A "What If..." Cold War Aircraft

First of all, I have to extend a great deal of thanks to BadFrank from the CombatAce message boards, as this entire thing was his idea!! He's also the person that found the mesh names for the rear canopy for me to get the decal on (it's also his decal, I just repainted it).

What we have here is a mod of the F-4B creating a single-seat version of the Phantom. This version is designed for US Air Force use, as a long-range missile armed interceptor, along the lines of the F-102, F-106 and even it's older brother, the F-101A Voodoo. This aircraft has NO air-to-ground capabilities, in keeping with it's role as a continential air defense interceptor.

A gun pod (SUU-16) can be loaded as they become available (later service year dates)

All items used, excepting the new weapons, are stock 3rd Wire, and are readily available in each of the varying versions of the game. It makes use of stock, albeit renamed skin files, some of which have been repainted by me. I've included them in the package, as it's easier than having the end user transfer and rename files. And again, as they're all stock items, they exist in all versions of the game. As should all the serial decals as well.

You'll be adding a couple of new 'weapons', a modified Scooter hump and a rebuild of my 'hack job' F-104 Recon Pod, now modified/renamed/tweeked for use on the Phantom.

Full, detailed instrustions on all facets of installation are in the enclosed readme, along with full credits for folks who helped out. -- so PLEASE read the cursed thing!!! It'll make your life easier, I promise you!

Enjoy!

You gave it the ability to carry Falcons and Genies right?

No.

It's all explained in the "Operational Histroy" section in the readme.

Wrench

kevin stein

After eading the read me I found a mistake. As you stated that Otis ANGB was in Maine it actually is in Massachusetts.

Other than that nice bird.

OOPPs@!!!! :blush:

You think I'd know that from Wingman #1 -- that's where our story sorta starts!

That's probably because the book I'm reading (about lost pirate treasrue) takes place in Maine.

thanks for compliment, I hope you enjoy it!

Wrench

kevin stein

Shoot.

I was always under the impression that the F-110A was called the "Spectre," not that another fine USAF aircraft needed this excellent moniker, but still...

Reference. Even Wikipedia.

:dntknw:

Edited by Spectre_USA

Guest Bounder

wasent the F-110 called spectre?

Since the Phantom had so much going for it, in January of 1962, President Kennedy requested Congressional approval for the procurement of F4H-1 derivatives for the Air Force under the designation F-110. The F-110A was to be the tactical fighter version, with RF-110A being the tactical reconnaissance version. The name Spectre was assigned to the aircraft.

McDonnell F-110 Spectre/F-4C Phantom II

Last revised December 24, 2002

The impressive performance of the Navy F4H Phantom immediately caught the attention of the USAF, which ordinarily would have been quite reluctant even to consider any aircraft that had originally designed for the Navy. However, under pressure from Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara, who wanted to reduce defense expenditures by achieving greater commonality between the aircraft flown by the various services, the Air Force agreed in 1961 to undertake an evaluation of the F4H-1 Phantom II.

A comparative evaluation between the F4H-1 and the F-106A took place under the code name Operation Highspeed. The F4H-1 had better overall speed, altitude and range performance than the F-106A. In addition, it could carry heavier loads than the F-106A over longer distances and had a 25 percent greater radar range. Later, the Air Force also looked into the possibility of using the Phantom as a tactical fighter and as a tactical reconnaissance aircraft. The F4H-1 was much more versatile than the Air Force's F-105 Thunderchief, since it could not only carry similar external loads but was also potentially a much better air superiority fighter due to its more favorable wing and power loadings. In the reconnaissance role, the Phantom offered a much better performance than the RF-101A/C, and unlike the Voodoo, could be fitted for night photographic missions.

Since the Phantom had so much going for it, in January of 1962, President Kennedy requested Congressional approval for the procurement of F4H-1 derivatives for the Air Force under the designation F-110. The F-110A was to be the tactical fighter version, with RF-110A being the tactical reconnaissance version. The name Spectre was assigned to the aircraft.

In support of this program, the Defense Department instructed that McDonnell deliver two Navy F4H-1s to the Air Force for evaluation. On January 24, 1962, the two Navy F4H-1s (BuNos 149405 and 149406) were delivered to the Air Force at Langley AFB in Virginia. They were painted in USAF markings with the designation "F-110A" prominently displayed on the nose, but initially retained their Navy BuNos. They were later given Air Force serials 62-12168 and 62-12169 respectively.

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/f4_7.html

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheet...eet.asp?id=2320

The F-110A was the USAF designation for what was to become the F-4C. On Sept. 18, 1962, the USAF and U.S. Navy aircraft designation systems were combined into a single scheme resulting in the F-1 to F-11. The USAF F-110A and U.S. Navy F4H-1 became F-4C and F-4B, respectively.

Any way love the pet ty

Dosent' any one READ the readmes?????

It's all explained (minus the location error for Otis) in ther, including the quote from Wiki above, parapharsed and edited to fit the 'alternate' history.

Hence the title "A What If...Cold War Aircraft".

*&^%$#@!

don't know why I even bother some times....

Wrench

kevin stein

Sorry.

Did not read it, as I did not download it.

I just had a recollection and a personal aspect, so thought I'd mention it.

I apologize for bringing it up.

:dntknw: