Sign in to follow this  
mppd

TISEO for the F-4E?

Watching what's been done for the F110A model- adding objects to simulate a desired subject, what are the possibilities of using some type of object to simulate the TISEO housing on the left wing leading edge of F-4Es so fitted? Or could someone create the item and add it as a piece of ordnance?

Can I help in some way, although I am not a 3-D modeler?

Mike Druzolowski

Mike,

It wouldn't be hard at all...just dimensions to make the model and make a weapon station for it in the data.ini file.

What does it look like? Pictures?

FastCargo

Actually, just did some 'net searching...it's exactly what I thought it was. I may have a detailed picture in my Jane's book from 78-79.

It shouldn't be too hard to model...just kind of need to know what was it's purpose? Steerable camera similiar to under nose mount in F-14?

FastCargo

It shouldn't be too hard to model...just kind of need to know what was it's purpose? Steerable camera similiar to under nose mount in F-14?

FastCargo

The Target Interception System, Electro-Optical was a small, telescopic TV camera mounted in the left wing, a few feet to the left of the radar boreline. The camera was slaved to the radar antenna's "look angle".

(Each cockpit's view was independent of the other; one could look at a TV close-up of the target, while the other watched the target on radar. TISEO could visually acquire a lockon, and slave the radar antenna to the TV, as well. (An early "Stealth" mode of attack; the tracking radar could be placed in standby - not transmitting anything that could be picked up as a threat - while the missile-guidance transmitter painted the target.)

The system was designed to overcome idiotic "see before you shoot" rules-of-engagement in place during the Vietnam War, which gave unnecessary advantage to the enemy.

The Northorp TISEO camera system was introduced in late F4E production

Being retrofitted to older aircraft as well. It was a daylight clear – weather only system. Most export F-4Es were not fitted with TISEO although examples of Iranian Phantoms have been seen with the system installed.

Lazboy

Edited by lazboy

If someone can do this up for me I would be in your debt! I can dig up dimensions if needed! The Rivet Haste F-4Es that went to Udorn's 555th TFS in late 1972 had TISEO, slatted wings, tape lights and the long-gun nose "Midas 4" mod. These were picked up by the 25th TFS in 1974.

Thanks,

Mike D.

Its in the works....... :wink:

Israeli camo :smile:

Edited by allenjb42

Thanks folks - can't wait!

Mike D.