Anyone remember this little jewel ?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/strike-commander

I was thinking with SF's mercenary feature we could re-live this old classic with more modern graphics and a better flight model. We already have an excellent F-16A mod and most of the aircraft needed. Just need some new terrain, some screens and we're set. Ideas ?

What we'd need :

- List of planes

- List of ordnance

- List of nations and squadrons encountered (with a pilot list for the Wildcats and the Jackals)

- List of terrains used

- List of missions, including objectives, opposition, briefings... (or a new list of missions)

For Tac Ops, that might be a tad more delicate since it featured a F-22 and that particular plane is not available yet.

A few things we couldn't do with SF :

- Cinematics

- Scripted campaign

- Scripted missions (IIRC in some SC missions you couldn't destroy some planes, your mission changed halfway through it and a few other tricks)

Guest Bounder

For Tac Ops, that might be a tad more delicate since it featured a F-22 and that particular plane is not available yet.

we've got the F-23 BLACKWIDOW as a sub

I might have some stuff from that sim as i used it alot haveit someplace

Edited by Bounder

Bounder, as a matter of fact Tac Ops introduced both the F-22 and the F-23, so merely having the F-23 doesn't solve our problem.

Anyway, that might be a moot point if the focus is rather to recapture the look and feel than to recreate the game as close as possible to the original.

Well I'll be damn, I still have this program stored away and have the old manual/notebook kicking around. This sim was an great idea at best,really enjoyed the story line. I'd be interested in an SFP1 remake for sure :good:

cheers

Gunrunner is right about SF engine limitations so this effort will initially focus on the cosmetic sides of Strike Commander. Gotta work with what we got now and hopefully build it up from there as TK makes SF more sophisticated.

Digging into SC manual (i am sure there is also a digitized version floating around) for a list of aircraft and ordnance from the reference section.

Planes:-

F-16C- No proper pit

F/A-18

F-15

MiG-21

MiG-29

Su-27

C-130

Mirage 2000

A-10A

Tornado GR

Learjet - Not available

E-3 Sentry - Not available

F-23

F-22 Lightning II - Version in works not this variant

Tu-95 -?

Ordnance

(Wildcats):-

AIM-9J($30k),

AIM-9M($60k)

AIM-120($200k)

GBU-15(V)/B($100k)

Mk82 slick($10k)

Rockeye Mk20($20k)

Durandal($30k)

AGM-65D($100k)

LAU-3 rocket launcher ($10k)

Countries:-

Turkey

Egypt

Peru

Mauritania

Quebec

Squadrons:-

Jackals (MiG-29)

Claws (???)

Interesting: http://www.tok2.com/home/avionics/sccd/index.html <--other sims too

I played SC till my fingers bleed. Was a fun game!!!!!! :good:

I can help with a few things on that list. I could also draw some menu graphics.

I can help with a few things on that list. I could also draw some menu graphics.

You're more than welcomed to do so. :good:

We could also use some help on mission and map design and research, perhaps some people who play SC more recently can help out too.

Gunrunner is right about SF engine limitations so this effort will initially focus on the cosmetic sides of Strike Commander. Gotta work with what we got now and hopefully build it up from there as TK makes SF more sophisticated.

Digging into SC manual (i am sure there is also a digitized version floating around) for a list of aircraft and ordnance from the reference section.

Planes:-

F-16C- No proper pit

F/A-18

F-15

MiG-21

MiG-29

Su-27

C-130

Mirage 2000

A-10A

Tornado GR

Learjet - Not available

E-3 Sentry - Not available

F-23

F-22 Lightning II - Version in works not this variant

Tu-95 -?

Ordnance

(Wildcats):-

AIM-9J($30k),

AIM-9M($60k)

AIM-120($200k)

GBU-15(V)/B($100k)

Mk82 slick($10k)

Rockeye Mk20($20k)

Durandal($30k)

AGM-65D($100k)

LAU-3 rocket launcher ($10k)

Countries:-

Turkey

Egypt

Peru

Mauritania

Quebec

Squadrons:-

Jackals (MiG-29)

Claws (???)

Interesting: http://www.tok2.com/home/avionics/sccd/index.html <--other sims too

I somewhat remember that the "Claws" flew the Mig-21 or the Mirage 2000

that was the game way back in the day that got me hooked with flight sims. i still have the cd. i got it free when i had bought a sound blaster 16 card. ah the good old days. i wish i could still play that game but windows no likey. i might have to fix my old 333mhz comp and load dos on it.

I would recommend against.

Not that it won't work, but that your mind's eye will become tarnished.

I tried a few that I remember fondly as being advanced and cool, but are now just ugly.

It breaks the fond memory.

IMO the biggest problem with SC was the ridiculously limited view distance, as shown in that screenshot.