Sign in to follow this  
Major Lee

A Call to 3D Action...

I have an old 'Skyscraper' model hanging around (based on a 30's NY building). If it can be used in a terrain, drop me a line (ignore the test paint scheme).

Skyscraper.jpg

I have an old 'Skyscraper' model hanging around (based on a 30's NY building). If it can be used in a terrain, drop me a line (ignore the test paint scheme).

Skyscraper.jpg

This one looks good :good:

I thik it could be turned into soviet-style state university (like Lomonosov's in Moscow)

Izmat Parani State University? :biggrin:

EDIT: Wild idea -could you make a big monkey on top of it? :haha:

Edited by CA_Stary

Not sure where I could put the skyscraper, but if there was a series of buildings, that would be helpful. I am sure we could fit in a large city somewhere in SF...

Not sure where I could put the skyscraper, but if there was a series of buildings, that would be helpful. I am sure we could fit in a large city somewhere in SF...

great moddeling

but i think that the most difficult thing will be to make cities like real ones or something organized like cities

keep up the good work guys!!!!

great moddeling

but i think that the most difficult thing will be to make cities like real ones or something organized like cities

keep up the good work guys!!!!

Well, making a large city without the 3D models will be impossible. If models are built, making tiles to set them on, and placing the buildings, will merely be tedious... There are a handful of people who could effectively produce the organization and design... Of course, with Google Earth, we have great imagery for guidance. :ok:

i made one Building model, but is ridiculous xD its just a box....

bwt should be amazing dogfight like Trasformers, Starscream Vs F-22

Well, making a large city without the 3D models will be impossible. If models are built, making tiles to set them on, and placing the buildings, will merely be tedious... There are a handful of people who could effectively produce the organization and design... Of course, with Google Earth, we have great imagery for guidance. :ok:

i'm not exactly speaking about moddeling real cities (as sfp1 landscape is a fictionous one) but about moddeling something that looks like a real one :wink:

but whatever, as you said, to produce a realistic looking city is really a huge and harsh job.

Edited by Murphy'S

Yes, it's a harsh job.

So, who's gonna write petition to TK to release engine powered 3D target placement tools?

Just dreaming :sorry:

Ok, a console and possibility to re-read _targets and _types.ini, input, then update on the flow could be helpful...

As I wrote, just dreaming

TK has talked about an object placer but has not released anything. He has also said that because SF is so open, it would not be that difficult for a programmer to write such a tool... Until then, we always have the old fashioned way... :dirol:

Yes, but as I wrote -the ability to update targets.ini without the need to restart the game could save some time

Yes, I agree: update on the fly in a stand-alone object placement application would be a dream come true and an incredible time saver... *sigh*

Yes, I agree: update on the fly in a stand-alone object placement application would be a dream come true and an incredible time saver... *sigh*

This leads me to wild idea I will try today... stay tuned

OH? Know any programing majors at University? Object placer should be able to do the following:

1: Read all objects within the terrain folder.

A: Validate objects by finding object ini and lod files

2: Display in a list within the Utility, all objects from Step 1

3: Read all target areas within the utility

A: Display as a list within the Utility, all target areas from Step 2

4: Display a selected target area from 3A.

5: Allow placement of objects from Step 2 onto the target area displayed in Step 4.

A: Allow viewing of overhead placement of object within the target area.

B: Write / re-write target ini as objects are placed onto target area.

Simple, for a skilled programmer...

Ok, here it is:

Placeable 3D Rulers :yes:

(ok, kind of...)

Pointers placed at grids of 100x100 meters and 1000x1000 meters. Should help in objects placement. Central (white) faces north. Every 5th (50 and 500 offset, respectively) has different colour to help you count :biggrin:

What do you guys think?

IF you want to check this crazy idea, grab them:

extract to terrain folder,

and add to your _types.ini; of course XXX is next number in sequence

[TargetTypeXXX]

Name=ruler

FullName=10 meters ruler

ModelName=ruler.lod

TargetType=MISC

ActiveYear=0

TargetValue=0

UseGroundObject=FALSE

DamagePoint=1000.0

ArmorValue=516128.0

ArmorType=1

RepairRate=0.150

StartDetectChance=0

StartIdentifiedChance=0

IncreaseDetectChanceKey=0

MaxVisibleDist=10000.0

DamagedModel=

DestroyedEffect=MediumShortStructureCollapse

DestroyedModel=lighthouse_destroyed

SecondaryChance=25

SecondaryEffect=SmallExplosionEffect

[TargetTypeXXX]

Name=ruler100

FullName=100 meters ruler

ModelName=ruler100.lod

TargetType=MISC

ActiveYear=0

TargetValue=0

UseGroundObject=FALSE

DamagePoint=1000.0

ArmorValue=516128.0

ArmorType=1

RepairRate=0.150

StartDetectChance=0

StartIdentifiedChance=0

IncreaseDetectChanceKey=0

MaxVisibleDist=10000.0

DamagedModel=

DestroyedEffect=MediumShortStructureCollapse

DestroyedModel=lighthouse_destroyed

SecondaryChance=25

SecondaryEffect=SmallExplosionEffect

And you are free to experiment

Debug mode in the HUDdata.ini has an excellent pointer and gives co-ordinates already within game. That said, the overlay ruler idea does have physical appeal. Perhaps a larger grid pattern? You may have something here! :yes:

I know, I used to, but I wanted to have the coordinates sticking in the ground, to even better aid the placement.

Maybe the degree pointer? The 3D ones can be rotated, and placed one on another, relevant to and so on...

Anyway will experiment on the matter

As for the programing thing, there's a guy here at CA working on such thing IIRC

I like that skyscraper...and we WILL need a big monkey for (also I guess we'll need some Vought OSU-1s, too)

An object placer would be a superb tool...whilst updating the DS and Iran/Iraq maps (to say nothing of some fo the target areas I added to the updated Range and ANW terrains)...one can go quite mad trying to get proper placements, even with hud debug on. The continious need to go back in game, and then find the target area again....check position, back out, move it, back in, find it again....aaaaarrrrGGGGHHHH!!!!

As to measuring object 'footprints', I've been using this little jpg, from either Gepard or Polak....

sfp1stock_objects.jpg

Unfortunately, it's only the stock Strike Fighters items, and dosen't include the newer objects from WoV and WoE. But it's still very helpfull!!

Wrench

kevin stein

It's by Polak IMHO

An object placer would be a superb tool...

Yes it would, we could make wonders with it :yes:

However official one is not likely to happen, this is what TK replied to me when I asked about it:

Well, we'd love to if we had the time, someone just needs to come with a way to put more than 24 hours in a day

Unforutnately, we don't have the time to provide you with additional tools beyond what we use. Creating and maintaining tools can be full-time job on its own, and we can't be doing that because someone still have to be working on the game

Most of the data you need for target object place is in text files, so I think this should be fairly straight forward for some modders with programming skill to create...

Unfortunetly I have no programming skillz :sorry:

Yes it would, we could make wonders with it :yes:

However official one is not likely to happen, this is what TK replied to me when I asked about it:

Unfortunetly I have no programming skillz :sorry:

DIdn't see post #35 on the 2nd page? Anyway, wonders will happen happen without the object placer... Modders are two things: resourceful and persistent.

How's this look MajorLee

bbtst2.jpg

bbtst1.jpg

I finally got a little free time LOL.

Fracture, that's cool... A little shorter in the legs and a sequential series, and they'll be perfect.

Thanks!

ML

Well, I don't have any other buildings. I agree that just one skyscraper might look a little odd by itself, but if you find you have a need, I can pass on the model.