Sign in to follow this  
wmorgan

Unusual carrier landing

This might be interesting to some. In my WWII install of WOE, I flew an anti-ship mission flying a Boston MkIII. I've done a little modification to some of the warships in my groundobjects file so the single "create a mission" program picks up those warships as cargo ships and sets them up as targets. In this particular mission I was given the aircraft carrier Formidable as the target. I have found that carriers won't sink, no matter how much they are hit, but I went ahead with the mission just to see what I could do. After chasing off the fighter cover by downing a couple of Bf110s, I made the bomb run on the carrier and got a couple of hits with 500lb bombs, with no apparent results. With little left to do, I decided to try a landing on the carrier. By using a dead slow approach, touching down on the very end of the deck and quickly hitting the brakes, the Boston stopped within the first third of the deck. I turned it around, taxied back to the aft end of the deck and took off again, holding the brakes on until the engines were at 100% power. She came off the front end of the deck at about 150 knots and was flying. This was the first time I have tried a carrier landing and takeoff using an aircraft without a tailhook. It seemed to work just fine. I tried to upload some pics of the Boston on the carrier deck, but I haven't yet mastered the trick of reducing the size of the screenshots so they can be uploaded. Sorry about that.

Hey morgs, if you have a phtoshop, you can reduce it there and save it as a .jpeg. Then you'd just need to upload it to flickr or photbucket or something and it'll work like a charm...

even MS Paint can convert BMP to jpeg & resize.

Photobucket gives you the option to resize the images, and this forum does it automatically too, if they're still too big.