Sign in to follow this  
malibu43

Any creative ways for overcoming lack of trim...?

Loaded out my skyraider as shown below and the plane was pretty much uncontrolable due to the tendency to roll right. Other than editing the fuel tank so it weighs the same as the gun pod, or vice a versa, does anyone have any good ideas on how to get around this?

Hheadon.jpg

Edited by malibu43

So since it seems like there's no way to fix with trim, I started experimenting with creating a new drop tank that uses an existing model, but weighs the correct amount so it balances with the mini-gun. The problem was that I was having trouble finding a droptank that uses a model that resembles the tank in the picture.

Anyone know of a drop tank in the weapons pack that looks like a close match?

Thanks!

So since it seems like there's no way to fix with trim, I started experimenting with creating a new drop tank that uses an existing model, but weighs the correct amount so it balances with the mini-gun. The problem was that I was having trouble finding a droptank that uses a model that resembles the tank in the picture.

Anyone know of a drop tank in the weapons pack that looks like a close match?

Thanks!

Did you try copying the drop tank in the editor then editor the weights to your liking?

Did you try copying the drop tank in the editor then editor the weights to your liking?

Yes, I did exactly that. But I was having trouble finding a drop tank to copy that uses a model that resembles the smaller drop tank used in the picture. The stock 300 gallon drop tank is pretty big, where as the tank that should be hung opposite the mini gun would be smaller. From what I've read, it was usually a 150 gallon tank...

Do you know of a tank that exists that uses a model that would be a close match? (about the size of a napalm canister)

Edited by malibu43

Yes, I did exactly that. But I was having trouble finding a drop tank to copy that uses a model that resembles the smaller drop tank used in the picture. The stock 300 gallon drop tank is pretty big, where as the tank that should be hung opposite the mini gun would be smaller. From what I've read, it was usually a 150 gallon tank...

Do you know of a tank that exists that uses a model that would be a close match? (about the size of a napalm canister)

How about the drop used by the OV-10A package?

How about the drop used by the OV-10A package?

Do you know how long that one is? I think I tried that one, and it was about 2x longer than it should be. It looked pretty funny, if I'm remembering the right one... about 6m, I think.

I think the tank would need to be in the 3-4 m length range. I can go through the tanks in the weapons editor later and just check all the lengths if no one can think of one without doing the same thing.

Isn't the F-16 centreline tank in that range? Of course, it's not round but oval in cross section because of where it sits on the F-16, so it might look a little odd under wings, but...

Isn't the F-16 centreline tank in that range? Of course, it's not round but oval in cross section because of where it sits on the F-16, so it might look a little odd under wings, but...

I messed around with a bunch of different fuel tanks last night, and never really found one that looked right. Also, any stock loadouts that use fuel tanks on those stations call out the 300 gallon tank. So if I change the fuel tank for that station, then I have to start screwing with all the loadouts as well. (On a side note, is there a way to have two fuel tanks possible for a weapon station. I tried adding two to the fuel tank line and separating them by commas, but that didn't work...)

I did, however, change the weapons grouping so I could load a different weapon on each of the inboard stations. I put a flare pod on opposite the minigun (which I believe is historically accurate as well...) and it gave it the asymetrical look I think I was looking for. I also found that if I ended up with more than 6 weapons stations, the 7th and above would not show up in the loadout screen. Is this a limitation of the game?

It is interesting, though, that the installation screens for the razbam skyraiders, as well as several of the loading screens, show pictures of the player flyable aircraft with the what appear to be the 150 gal tanks loaded, as well as several other loadouts that are historically accurate, but not possible with the stock weapon data and grouping. Of course, it's not too difficult to modify the loadouts and all that, but I found it interesting that what you see isn't necissarily what you get...

Wow, I seriously managed to derail my own thread, now, didn't I?

Loaded out my skyraider as shown below and the plane was pretty much uncontrolable due to the tendency to roll right. Other than editing the fuel tank so it weighs the same as the gun pod, or vice a versa, does anyone have any good ideas on how to get around this?

Hheadon.jpg

try symetrical loading. In other words, balance the loads which is what we do have to do in real life. The last thing a pilot wants to do in real life is run his trim all the way out in order to control his plane.

try symetrical loading. In other words, balance the loads which is what we do have to do in real life. The last thing a pilot wants to do in real life is run his trim all the way out in order to control his plane.

Typhoid, thanks for your input.

It is symetrically loaded most of the time, but I just read through the combat journal at Skyraider.org the other day, and it got me all inspired to try and loadout my skyraider with an accurate Sandy loadout. This seemd to usually include a mini-gun on one side, and either a fuel tank or flare pod on the other. Hence, my quest to loadout my plane like the picture in the first post... I'm not sure if in reality the tank and the mini-gun weighed in close together (I doubt it) or if the pilots adjusted for it in some other way...