Sign in to follow this  
ordway

How do I change instrument's location and size?

I am completely new to this. I have looked on three forums (Combat ace, SimHQ and Thirdwire) and not found understandable answers. How do I change an existing instrument or switch in an existing instrument panel's):

1. Instrument/switch's Size

2. Instrument/switch's Position

3. or just eliminate it?

What editing program/s do I need (G-max, notepad or others?).

What files do I need (Cockpit.ini, avionics.ini or others).

What do I edit in that particular file.

What do I need to do after that to make it work?

Any help is much appreciated. :blink:

Thanks,

I'd suggest looking at Lexx_Luthor's "Cockpit Mods" thread over at the 3rd Wire boards. It explains the 'moves' idea.

As to resizing an insturment, that's not possible without the Max file -- that can only be done in the 3d programs.

You can only "move" insturments in the up/down and left/right postions...how he's gotten the positions/measurments (ie: distance up/down or right/left) to do so I can only guess -- probalby by much trial and error.

You move items via cockpit ini edits.

Wrench

kevin stein

Guest capun

I think you need to change the 3D Model

You may be able to use the mesh movement trick, look at other posts for this trick. I think Lex_Luthor's has done and a few others. You also need to know the Gauge parent mesh. For example the Altimeter Case could be the parent and have the face and needles as its children meshes

3. or just eliminate it?

You may be able to use the trick of moving the instrument away via the cockpit ini. But you need to be sure that there is no hole left in the background panel

Source files are normally 3DS Max, at least at the end there must be a one since the LOD exporter only works in 3DS Max.

But you could use another 3D Model and have some one export it

If it is a removal via the cockpit ini, Notepad works

What files do I need (Cockpit.ini, avionics.ini or others)

Cockpit.ini, a LOD file if the 3DS Max source was changed

For example you want to move the Altimeter out of the way.

Open up the YourPlane_Cockpit.ini file

You will see something like this

[CockpitSeat001]

Instrument[020]=Altimeter <- You need to add something like this

[Altimeter]

Type=PRESSURE_ALTIMETER_2

NodeName=Altimeter_Case <- You need to know the parent mesh of the gauge so you can hide all the meshes in that gauge

MovementType=POSITION_Z <- If the gauge was designed according to TW's specs, the Z-Axis will move the gauge up and down

Set[01].Position=-20 <- This should move the gauge 20 meters below so esentially it will disappear.

Set[01].Value=-1.0

Set[02].Position=-20

Set[02].Value=1.0

Now this is just an example off the top of my head and not guaranteed to work :)

For the 3D model work, that may require another explanation.

I think you need to change the 3D Model

You may be able to use the mesh movement trick, look at other posts for this trick. I think Lex_Luthor's has done and a few others. You also need to know the Gauge parent mesh. For example the Altimeter Case could be the parent and have the face and needles as its children meshes

3. or just eliminate it?

You may be able to use the trick of moving the instrument away via the cockpit ini. But you need to be sure that there is no hole left in the background panel

Source files are normally 3DS Max, at least at the end there must be a one since the LOD exporter only works in 3DS Max.

But you could use another 3D Model and have some one export it

If it is a removal via the cockpit ini, Notepad works

What files do I need (Cockpit.ini, avionics.ini or others)

Cockpit.ini, a LOD file if the 3DS Max source was changed

For example you want to move the Altimeter out of the way.

Open up the YourPlane_Cockpit.ini file

You will see something like this

[CockpitSeat001]

Instrument[020]=Altimeter <- You need to add something like this

[Altimeter]

Type=PRESSURE_ALTIMETER_2

NodeName=Altimeter_Case <- You need to know the parent mesh of the gauge so you can hide all the meshes in that gauge

MovementType=POSITION_Z <- If the gauge was designed according to TW's specs, the Z-Axis will move the gauge up and down

Set[01].Position=-20 <- This should move the gauge 20 meters below so esentially it will disappear.

Set[01].Value=-1.0

Set[02].Position=-20

Set[02].Value=1.0

Now this is just an example off the top of my head and not guaranteed to work :)

For the 3D model work, that may require another explanation.

Thanks Capun and Wrench. Anyone else want to weigh in please addtionally on the 3D part or above? It all helps.

Guest capun

If you have the 3D source file for the gauge, then you just take the parent mesh and just scale it up/down.

I am assuming that you want to make some changes to FoxMonter's pit? if so do you have the source file?

If you have the 3D source file for the gauge, then you just take the parent mesh and just scale it up/down.

I am assuming that you want to make some changes to FoxMonter's pit? if so do you have the source file?

Yes, Foxmonter's pit would be a good start. I would really be interested in modding the F-106 pit, someday.

I don't have the source files. yet, either.

Lexx will you ever release some of your edited pits?! Just make them downloadable pls... Your Su-15 repaint looks good to .. would install it in my own WOE

Lexx will you ever release some of your edited pits?! Just make them downloadable pls... Your Su-15 repaint looks good to .. would install it in my own WOE

I'd love to, but I'd need a beta tester or three before I share with downloads, as it can be pretty deep stuff (not always though). Full instructions for the ThirdWire B-52 with ThirdWire A-6 cockpit are given on page 2 of that big thread. This can be done at home now by anyone who has THE WOV.

Many -- but not all -- of my external model and cockpit combinations use either a 3rd Party cockpit panel skin, a 3rd Party external model skin, or both, that require skin changes. These skin changes may need artist permission before offering up for download.

Lexx, correct the following if I'm wrong.

In addition, Lexx's changes usually require alteration of the following:

[NearSceneClip]

FarClipDistance=250.0

//NearClipDistance=0.1

NearClipDistance=1.2 <----- this line here.

This can cause some odd effects depending on your system...and can also 'break' your other aircraft in terms of the cockpit view.

I had to abandon my cockpit plans for the T-38 based on the changes I was seeing.

Again, this is my own experience. Unless I'm missing something...feel free to correct me there Lexx...

FastCargo

FastCargo, hopefully you might have made an error in NearClipDistance=

From the first page of the ThudWire thread...

[NearSceneClip]

FarClipDistance=100.0

NearClipDistance=0.05

I'm using 0.02 now because I later ran into some very tight external model pilot compartments. Your T-38 may need something smaller than 0.10. If you did make an error here, then I hope your T~38 project is back on! :wink::good: :good: :good:

Lexx,

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, I was heading upward from 0.02 when I abandoned the attempt.

The problem was I was getting flashing textures on external views...but that was only a minor thing.

The MAJOR thing was that by pulling the NearClipDistance so close, it was causing other models (Su-27, F-15, etc) to start showing stuff they shouldn't (double HUDs, etc). I couldn't release my T-38 (and F-5s) with the assumption that everyone would have to fix all their other models to see my cockpit correctly.

So I didn't abandon the T-38/F-5s...I just have to change how I'm going to do the cockpit models now. I had hoped to save some work by using the external model...but that's not going to work. It also means a back seat option will be harder to do than originally planned.

FastCargo

Very interesting. If you would, czech out Paladrian's description of problems with this cockpit method here...

Paladrian @ ThudWire ~ http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p...0&start=192 ::

After several hours trying to figure out what was wrong with my game, which included tweaking, installing newer drivers, DirectX and reinstalling the game... I finally concluded that this was the mod that was causing it

More specifically, the line

NearClipDistance=0.05

is causing flashing textures in my game (apparently it's only affecting tga's: water, runways, decals...).

In a clean install and unmodded Flightengine.ini I tried several times modifying only the previous line and the results were the same: modded line = flashing textures (and CTD once), unmodded line = everything normal. Increasing the value reduces the flashing to some extent, but it's not completly eliminated and makes the desired cockpit unusable

Since there is no one else reporting problems I guess I'm alone in this, but if you have the same symptoms now you know what is causing them Confused

Too bad, this mod had provided a decent alternative for a starfighter cockpit (and others) but I will have to let it pass Sad

My specs:

Dell Inspiron 9300 Laptop

P4M 1.86Ghz, 768Mb of RAM, Geforce 6800 Go

One big thing: I'm running an old ATI-9200 video card, although with a more recent (9800Pro era) driver. Maybe the newer cards work different from the old, or ATI differs from Nvida. The -9200 is the only card I ever had, although I did use my 9800Pro for some time until the fan went. Never bothered with it again.