Sign in to follow this  
comrpnt

Architectural limit for _targets.ini file?

Is there an architectural limit imposed on the number of targets allowed to be defined in the _targets.ini file in the terrain folder?

Specifically, I noticed that after adding a bunch of ground object targets to an existing target area in WOE (to GermanyCE_targets.ini) that my missions failed to load - they get to 100% and then I get CDT.

After working through the problem I noted that by removing a certain number of the new targets I was able to re-load the mission and carry on as normal. Adding the targets back in caused a CTD again.

So, this got me thinking. Is there an upper limit to the size of the _targets.ini file (my WOE version is 1mb in size)?

or perhaps more likely,

Is there an upper limit to the number of objects that can be defined within the _targets.ini file?

I looked in FlightEngine.ini in the Flight folder and increased the values in the [GraphicsSettings] section, which seemed a possible candidate to my troubles, but this does not appear to have worked. I still get CTD.

Anyone else seen this behaviour?

Kind regards, comrpnt.

I can't say either way if there is a limit to number of targets. However from what you said, I'd start by adding those targets that you added, subtracted, and added again one at a time. There might be a problem with a specific particular target and not the number you are adding.

The limit of target areas is 999. But there is a limit of objects which can be placed on the map. But dont ask me how big this number is.

When creating missions, I have had CTDs of the same type when there are too many groundobject targets that can fire back! I once tried to set up a massed tank and mobile AA attack and had to strip out the formations of four and place them as singles. It then did not CTD. The same with flak. Too many weapons in too small an area and CTD at 100%. Stripped out a few of them and mission worked. This has been a bit hit and miss but density of firing targets seemed to be the issue for one or two of the missions I created. Don't know if that helps.

Edited by SandyC

Hi folks, thanks for the replies so far.

I've got a fix for this now - documented here: http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=31411#31411

Thanks to TK again for confirming my suspicions.

Might want to be aware of this one, in case you're adding loads of ground objects to the _targets. ini file. It was a real pain to debug.

Cheers, regards, comrpnt.