Sign in to follow this  
sparkomatic

What is wrong with the USAF?

Guest 531_Ghost
You can't turn a wrench without someone getting in your face spouting of the political ramifications of what you are doing. The USAF has moved from doing your job, to what else do you do BUT your job. And its a shame.

So you can imagine the trouble I was going to get in when I was replacing a worn main mount, by myself (something we did all the time in the Marines) on an F4N at Nellis AFB as an E4. When, from outa nowhere some AF guy with lots of stripes is in my face askin' me what the hell I'm doing! My reply, changin' a tire, why? That's when the fireworks started! Listen here Marine!, you need, on MY flightline a MINIMUM of 5 personnel to change a tire! Ummmmm, well, I'M THE ONLY ONE IN MY SHOP! Oh, really, we'll assist, then, we'll go see your Maintenance Officer...

The AF Guy with lots of stripes follows me to the Maintenance Officers office and begins to attempt to chew him a new one. When he was done, the MO asked if that was all, he said yes and that the "problem" had better be taken care of, immediately, if not sooner! Very well the MO said and dirrected him to leave his office. With that, the MO asked me if the tire got changed for the next sortie, I said yessir.

Very good, now go launch that pig! Gladly!

I look back now and it was kinda funny really.

yall should see this new Fiasco we are going through in a few F-15 squadrons now.

We are replacing paper Tech Data with laptop computers. "toughbooks"

you have to be logged on to the exact step in the computer nowdays even for putting -21 on the jet (covers fo those who dont know). when the batteries die, you have to stop where you are at and come inside and get a new battery, then re log in while connected to a LAN cable, then go back out and finish.

I AM NOT JOKING OR EXAGGERATING

Ah, yes, administrative overhead.

They had bunches of that crap when I got out in `92. You better have that 6" thick checklist at the right page and checked with grease pencil at the exact step,

or your ass was grass!

Yeah, I was given a choice, SSB, and only saw the SNAFU's getting much tougher, so took the money and ran! Only 6 years short of retirement, but I woulda

probably gone postal, and don't figure Leaveanworth was a good place to retire...

:biggrin:

yall should see this new Fiasco we are going through in a few F-15 squadrons now.

We are replacing paper Tech Data with laptop computers. "toughbooks"

you have to be logged on to the exact step in the computer nowdays even for putting -21 on the jet (covers fo those who dont know). when the batteries die, you have to stop where you are at and come inside and get a new battery, then re log in while connected to a LAN cable, then go back out and finish.

I AM NOT JOKING OR EXAGGERATING

Yep, he is absolutely right. That's why our guys take two toughbooks with them :biggrin:

Those stupid "toughbooks" are anything but.

Those stupid "toughbooks" are anything but.

Why do you say that?

Its a bad system. Instead of a BPO taking an hour, it takes 3. Everything takes longer. If a real world emergency comes up, you cant rely on them. With the paper T.O>, you just flip to the page. You cant use the toughbook as kneepad either:)

unless you are meaning that they arent tough. maybe im the stupid one here

I mean as far as being reliable. Maybe they take physical damage well, but as far as RUNNING they seem to be less stable, crashing a lot, running hot and slow (no ventilation, just use the bottom as a giant heatsink), and overall a PITA to use.

At least you can use them as wheel chocks.

They are far from perfect, but we had some at al Taqaddum...ran around the countryside in the back of an M1151 with the little buggers in 128F heat...worked fine...no way an HP is going to do that...but I d agree...replacing T.O is a bad idea, period

well, let me tell you my inside info. I hate to admit this, but I have been in support for about 10 months

like an idiot I volunteered, because they fired about 75 percent. For guys that dont know, Support is the tool crib, and it is a 1 to 2 year detail that gets you off the flightline for awhile. I was the #1 guy that made fun of support before I came back here too.

Anyway

The toughbooks arent so tough physically either. We have had 8 shattered screens, and at one point we only had 24 out of 80 operating.

Thank God I go back to the flightline in 2 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've heard about these 'toughbook' computers, if they don't work as well as the old paper T.O. books as kneepads, then i reckon they would be just as useless when you needed a prop to hold a flight control surface, gear door or panel out of the way when the actuators are removed LOL, oh does this electric T.O. keep track of the steps you've accomplished by pushing a button to confirm same, if it does that really would be a pain, just curious an old paper T.O. 48 th FMS hydrastic dude would like to know

I've heard about these 'toughbook' computers, if they don't work as well as the old paper T.O. books as kneepads, then i reckon they would be just as useless when you needed a prop to hold a flight control surface, gear door or panel out of the way when the actuators are removed LOL, oh does this electric T.O. keep track of the steps you've accomplished by pushing a button to confirm same, if it does that really would be a pain, just curious an old paper T.O. 48 th FMS hydrastic dude would like to know

They're no good for proping flaps on the pylon if thats what you mean. Oh yeah, they incorperated all GS and FI and IPB's into the book too. So when you want to order a part you have to look it up in there too.

I came back to this thread as I thought there were videos of close order drlls, the tongue in cheek type.

Boy, its gone off on many tangents, and it makes my heart ache to see the frustrations, not only of service men and women in the USA but of other nations too. Well,sad to say, civilian life isnt much different.

I can relate, as I was and I guess still an army brat. (Dad was army, Korea, Vietnam,,mom was airforce, Korea)

We moved so many times, I lost count. It took me years to see how it affected my dealings in personal relationships, the way old-timers in a platoon treated the replacements. The "No,I dont care to know your name, cos youll be gone soon just like the rest." attitude. But thats a personal issue.

Theres a lot of things that need to be changed for the better. It brings to mind a saying, "Nothing is destroyed from without, until it destroys itself from within."

I am at a loss as to who the author is.

Hows that for another tangent?